When is it acceptable to wear brown shoes at night? For instance, if I attend an evening cocktail party, and plan on wearing nice slacks, nice shirt, and blazer (no tie), can I get away with wearing brown wingtips or oxfords?
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 11/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Alden Ravello Plain Toe Blucher size 8.5D on Barrie / BNIB Last post on Today at 3:00 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Fantastic Vass black crocodile wholecuts. Size 43.5 U last Last post on Today at 1:56 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Beautiful Vass Old English II on the new SP last! Size 42. Brand new with trees. Last post on Today at 1:55 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Vass chukka medium brown suede - F last size 43 - Brand new Last post on Today at 1:55 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Vass Melton Antique cognac - New Peter last size 43 - Brand new in box Last post on Today at 1:52 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
brown shoes at night?
post #1 of 12
11/12/12 at 7:36pm
Styleforum Top Picks
post #2 of 12
11/12/12 at 9:28pm
post #3 of 12
11/12/12 at 9:50pm
post #4 of 12
11/12/12 at 10:03pm
post #5 of 12
11/12/12 at 10:13pm
post #6 of 12
11/13/12 at 3:50am
YES! It's not a black tie event so you can wear what ever shoes you like as long you don't wear clown shoes :-)
post #7 of 12
11/13/12 at 2:03pm
post #8 of 12
11/13/12 at 3:52pm
post #9 of 12
11/13/12 at 3:58pm
It is acceptable only if you had no advanced warning of the event. Old school rules state 'no brown after sundown'. I would not recommend brown wingtips for evening attire, formal or not. Wearing dark brown oxfords would be pushing your luck but a nice dark brown balmoral will be acceptable. Wherever you have advanced notice of an upcoming evening occasion, wear black balmorals or a nice black balmoral cap toe. One last thought on this from me would be to introduce more burgundy shoes into your wardrobe. A deep rich burgundy cap toe balmoral can easily bridge the two worlds (from day to night) without concern. Welcome to Styleforum pdxguy.
post #10 of 12
11/13/12 at 4:01pm
post #11 of 12
11/13/12 at 4:03pm
- brown shoes at night?
Styleforum Top Picks
Currently, there are 1528 Active Users (402 Members and 1126 Guests)
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Our Legacy 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 4 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 5 minutes ago
- › Polo Ralph Lauren (Blue Label) Madras Blazer. Custom Fit 40R. NWT! 9 minutes ago
- › Meermin NST Shell Cordovan. Size 11 UK. 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...