Out of curiousity, do you consider most AE's sleeker than Alden's? Or do you just prefer them for the better QC and lower price?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ID these Peal and Co. Boots -- Alden or AE? Last post on 10/26/12 at 11:59am in Classic Menswear
- Straight and to the point... AE or Alden Last post on 5/15/13 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- Long Wing Blucher Recommendations Last post on 9/8/12 at 1:00pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL - Page 4
Poll Results: Allen Edmonds or Alden!?
46% (146)Allen Edmonds
Styleforum Top Picks
Quality Control: I agree both need improvement. My experience is AE has construction issues whereas Alden has finishing issues
Customer Service: AE
Last shape and fit is hard to tell because of numerous variables. It is a hard comparison because each company has different strengths. I liken this to a C&J vs. Tricker's comparison. Both are good companies but may have different followings for style/fit/last reasons.
I wore AE for smart shoes but have since transitioned to another (better?) brand. I still have a large selection of Alden because I do like their shell footwear for more casual days.
as owner of both, I agree on dsmivtr general assessment above. I personally give AE a light edge overall b/c of value (calf offerings) and customer service, but I think Alden's cordovan products (esp color 8) and boot selection are superior. I also think Alden's appeal and "exclusivity" are due to selected distribution channels.
This is all true. I wish AE would improve their boot portfolio. I also think the turnover rate in their boots is too fast and I wish they would keep certain boots (the more successful ones) around as a semi-permanent/permanent additions to their range. I know AE is more about staying current, but I think they could afford to add a couple of boots to their "Timeless Classics" collection that will be around for years to come. I may not need a particular pair right now, but it would be nice to know they will be around when I do.
I'm new to the world of nice shoes and have started with AE. I like that I can get them at discount prices and the customer service is excellent. I do not find AE or Alden to be very sleek but in general I think AE has better looking lasts. In the future I will likely look to other manufacturers if I want sleeker shoes.
Other than Alden's Barrie-lasted LWB , I have no allegiance towards either brand. OK, the JCrew plain Toe boots is kind of nice too.
Ideally, I would like all Alden LWB to be offered at AE calf pricing.
Edited by bellyhungry - 11/30/12 at 3:22pm
Alden, but not for "quality" reasons. I just find they fit my feet well. I have tried lots of AE's, different lasts and sizes, and never felt comfortable. Also, I find more arch support, for me, with Alden.
Appearance- too subjective even to vote.
I am not qualified to comment on relative quality. I gather people who know much more about shoe construction than I consider both to be well made brands.
I did vote Alden, but that is primarily because I am in love with Shell Cordovan and I feel that Alden's selection in this regard is slightly better. But I own many AE shoes as well. And I often tell men that the first shoe they should buy is an AE Park Avenue. It is an iconic American shoe and no shoe wardrobe is complete without one.
Also as I've posted elsewhere the AE Bayfield is an excellent boot. I am an avid hiker and I have taken the Bayfields to Alaska and all up and down the Appalachian trail.
I used to agree, but now find the park avenue completely unwearable due to the short toe cap
- Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 seconds ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 5 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the... 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories