Out of curiousity, do you consider most AE's sleeker than Alden's? Or do you just prefer them for the better QC and lower price?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on Yesterday at 7:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- ID these Peal and Co. Boots -- Alden or AE? Last post on 10/26/12 at 11:59am in Classic Menswear
- Straight and to the point... AE or Alden Last post on 5/15/13 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- Long Wing Blucher Recommendations Last post on 9/8/12 at 1:00pm in Classic Menswear
- Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes Last post on 10/25/12 at 9:53pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL - Page 4
Poll Results: Allen Edmonds or Alden!?
47% (114)Allen Edmonds
Styles mentioned in this thread:
Quality Control: I agree both need improvement. My experience is AE has construction issues whereas Alden has finishing issues
Customer Service: AE
Last shape and fit is hard to tell because of numerous variables. It is a hard comparison because each company has different strengths. I liken this to a C&J vs. Tricker's comparison. Both are good companies but may have different followings for style/fit/last reasons.
I wore AE for smart shoes but have since transitioned to another (better?) brand. I still have a large selection of Alden because I do like their shell footwear for more casual days.
as owner of both, I agree on dsmivtr general assessment above. I personally give AE a light edge overall b/c of value (calf offerings) and customer service, but I think Alden's cordovan products (esp color 8) and boot selection are superior. I also think Alden's appeal and "exclusivity" are due to selected distribution channels.
This is all true. I wish AE would improve their boot portfolio. I also think the turnover rate in their boots is too fast and I wish they would keep certain boots (the more successful ones) around as a semi-permanent/permanent additions to their range. I know AE is more about staying current, but I think they could afford to add a couple of boots to their "Timeless Classics" collection that will be around for years to come. I may not need a particular pair right now, but it would be nice to know they will be around when I do.
I'm new to the world of nice shoes and have started with AE. I like that I can get them at discount prices and the customer service is excellent. I do not find AE or Alden to be very sleek but in general I think AE has better looking lasts. In the future I will likely look to other manufacturers if I want sleeker shoes.
Other than Alden's Barrie-lasted LWB , I have no allegiance towards either brand. OK, the JCrew plain Toe boots is kind of nice too.
Ideally, I would like all Alden LWB to be offered at AE calf pricing.
Edited by bellyhungry - 11/30/12 at 3:22pm
Alden, but not for "quality" reasons. I just find they fit my feet well. I have tried lots of AE's, different lasts and sizes, and never felt comfortable. Also, I find more arch support, for me, with Alden.
Appearance- too subjective even to vote.
I am not qualified to comment on relative quality. I gather people who know much more about shoe construction than I consider both to be well made brands.
I did vote Alden, but that is primarily because I am in love with Shell Cordovan and I feel that Alden's selection in this regard is slightly better. But I own many AE shoes as well. And I often tell men that the first shoe they should buy is an AE Park Avenue. It is an iconic American shoe and no shoe wardrobe is complete without one.
Also as I've posted elsewhere the AE Bayfield is an excellent boot. I am an avid hiker and I have taken the Bayfields to Alaska and all up and down the Appalachian trail.
I used to agree, but now find the park avenue completely unwearable due to the short toe cap
- Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL
- › things that are making you happy 1 second ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 2 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 19 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 37 seconds ago
- › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 3 minutes ago
- › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 4 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw