Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 6:03 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ID these Peal and Co. Boots -- Alden or AE? Last post on 10/26/12 at 11:59am in Classic Menswear
- Straight and to the point... AE or Alden Last post on 5/15/13 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: Yesterday
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL - Page 2
Poll Results: Allen Edmonds or Alden!?
314 Total Votespost #16 of 23411/26/12 at 10:16am
46% (146)Allen Edmonds
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 23411/26/12 at 10:30amQuote:
Admittedly, Alden does seem to have their shell down to more of a science than AE. AE seems to get a bit more flak about the finish they put on the shell after they recieve it from Horween. I haven't seen AE's new shell finish in person yet, but I am hoping they are making improvements that will make them much more desirable.post #18 of 23411/26/12 at 8:35pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
Admittedly, Alden does seem to have their shell down to more of a science than AE. AE seems to get a bit more flak about the finish they put on the shell after they recieve it from Horween. I haven't seen AE's new shell finish in person yet, but I am hoping they are making improvements that will make them much more desirable.
Wait are they getting new finishes? When/how did you find out about this?post #19 of 23411/26/12 at 10:40pmpost #20 of 23411/27/12 at 5:55amQuote:
Mostly through the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread. Go there and do a search on "new cordovan finish" and you will find several members who have already recieved new shoes with the finish. They implemented this several months ago, but all of the old stock hasn't been depleted yet. So if you are buying some new cordovan shoes make sure you specifically request the new finish.post #21 of 23411/27/12 at 6:09amQuote:
I don't think it is quite a no-brainer. As you can see from reading through past posts in this thread as well as the many others to be found in Styleforum alone, there is much debate about the merits of both brands. Many who have dozens of pairs of shoes (and therefore may arguably have "unlimited funds" still purchase both brands). As for the comfort difference from the sock liner, what is your opinion on my comments from the previous page regarding this issue? As I say in that post, comfort is definitely subjective, so please don't hear me saying that I think they are worthless. I can definitely see how they would make the shoes more comfortable when being broken in, but what about when they are a year old? Two years old? The foam in the sock liner gets compressed, and it's effect becomes minimized. I think that both AE and Alden have enough of a range in styles and lasts to say that it isn't quite fair to call Alden's "sleeker" across the board. For example, the Alden LWB on the Barrie last is definitely not sleeker than the Allen Edmonds MacNeil on the 7-97 last. It just isn't fair to generalize IMHO.post #22 of 23411/27/12 at 6:33amQuote:
quality control blows
price is far too high ($466 for calf, get the fuck out)
sleeker lasts? have you been drinking? Alden is pretty much the opposite of sleek. They have the blobbiest lasts in the business
I don't want padding on the inside, I like the AE leather insole. I'm not 90.post #23 of 23411/27/12 at 7:10amI have no experience with Alden because I can't afford Aldens. Believe me, I'd own plenty if I could. Heck, I'd be on a first name basis with the guys over at Leather Soul and Leffot. But while I'm willing to believe that Aldens might be better than AE, from a quality/price ratio perspective, AE knows no equal. Anything at or below its price point is significantly inferior in quality. Anything better in quality is only marginally better but for significantly more money. It helps that it's so easy to score an AE first quality on sale or closeout, not to speak of factory seconds.
Where AE also shines is with its superlative customer service. I've had several occasions to pick up the phone and call them or send an email. When I call, a well-informed and helpful human answers, fast. When I email, I get a similarly well-informed response. The few issues I've had resulted in generous and gracious responses. AE has earned my loyalty. One day I'll pick up a pair of Aldens, but I don't sense that I'm missing out on a lot. If I were to stray from the AE fold it would be to dabble in more exotic realms such as Trickers or perhaps a Continental shoe maker. Or for specialized stuff such as Rancourt's offerings.
I should add that CEO Grangaard's occasional contributions to threads at AAAC have been seriously classy. For anyone interested in American manufacturing and menswear, he merits hero status.post #24 of 23411/27/12 at 7:33amI have some of each brand. OK, a bunch of each. The shoo journey started with AEs at discount prices (and moved to a shell cordo) then I went to Alden for a couple of casual shoos and more shell (mostly via Leather Soul). Now I am a fan of C&J (Ralph Lauren) shell and leather shoes and Alden for casual shoes. The AE are great workhorse shoes or in the rain. They are all good at their various sale pricepoints. Lately AE is really becoming more innovative, while Alden seems to have QC issues.post #25 of 23411/27/12 at 6:37pmpost #26 of 23411/27/12 at 8:08pm
For me, it all depends on the model.
AE makes better cap toes for me, as I simply love the Fifth Avenue in brown suede, but Alden's loafers, like the 987, are top notch. The Alden Shell Chukka is a standout, and nothing that AE makes in regard to a Chukka compares, IMO. The Leeds in shell cordovan is a close second to the Alden 990, but due to the higher vamp. However, I do like the height and shape of the 990's heel a bit more, which are a bit sleeker than that of the Edmonds' shoe.
I prefer Alden's Long Wing over the AE MacNeil counterpart, due to the more rounded toe box of the Alden, which makes the shoe a bit more versatile.post #27 of 23411/27/12 at 8:18pmThread StarterQuote:
Totally agree Quadcammer. I do love my Aldens, but they just feel so clunky. I'd like to see a bit more "tailoring" in the shoes. When I wear my AE Cambridges, they look filled out and fit nicely, not too snugly. My Aldens just feel heavy and like they were made for someone in the 1920s. A sleeker approach would do wonders for Alden.post #28 of 23411/27/12 at 8:32pmI think Alden makes a slightly better shoe, at least when it comes to cordovan. However, AE is easily the superior company. Their customer service is top notch, they are available at more locations, and they are extremely flexible on MTOs. If they fit me better, every shoe I own would be AE.post #29 of 23411/28/12 at 5:20amQuote:Originally Posted by JermynStreet
Totally agree Quadcammer. I do love my Aldens, but they just feel so clunky. I'd like to see a bit more "tailoring" in the shoes. When I wear my AE Cambridges, they look filled out and fit nicely, not too snugly. My Aldens just feel heavy and like they were made for someone in the 1920s. A sleeker approach would do wonders for Alden.
Funny many people say the exact oppositepost #30 of 23411/28/12 at 5:51am
- Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 4 minutes ago
- › Very weird experience with B. Nelson... What is your experience... 7 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 15 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 19 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 20 minutes ago
- › Missing posters 24 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 26 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?