or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dark brown wingtip oxfords - recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark brown wingtip oxfords - recommendations?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

I'm looking to pick up some dark brown wingtips, but I'm having trouble finding some good ones. Something like the AE McAllister would be exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately the McAllister doesn't come in dark brown. Could any of you recommend a good brand/model? Price range is sub-$300 on sale.

 

The specs I'm looking for are:

- dark brown shortwings

- balmorals / closed lacing

- full-grain calf

- fully leather lined

- leather sole

- Goodyear welted

- made in a country with "reputable" craftsmanship (e.g., US, UK, Italy, Spain)

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 15
You could probably find an AE McAllister for under 300 on ebay or B&S.

If you're very budget conscious, I would also recommend this:

http://www.nunescorrea.com/shoes/

Excellent value for the money; goodyear welted and very sturdy. Email them directly about brown oxfords as they're not featured on the website (but I've seen them in store).
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

You could probably find an AE McAllister for under 300 on ebay or B&S.
If you're very budget conscious, I would also recommend this:
http://www.nunescorrea.com/shoes/
Excellent value for the money; goodyear welted and very sturdy. Email them directly about brown oxfords as they're not featured on the website (but I've seen them in store).

I don't think the McAllister comes in dark brown, at least not now. It comes in merlot, which is close.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

You could probably find an AE McAllister for under 300 on ebay or B&S.
If you're very budget conscious, I would also recommend this:
http://www.nunescorrea.com/shoes/
Excellent value for the money; goodyear welted and very sturdy. Email them directly about brown oxfords as they're not featured on the website (but I've seen them in store).

 

That Nunes Correa stuff looks great, incredible value for goodyear shoes (on sale for 52 euros which is less than $70). Do you know if they use full-grain leather? Having a hard time believing that we can buy full-grain goodyear shoes for under $70!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I don't think the McAllister comes in dark brown, at least not now. It comes in merlot, which is close.

 

Yeah I'm looking for a true brown, not burgundy/merlot.

post #5 of 15
AE Strand?
post #6 of 15

I know you said balmoral, but how about the Ralph Lauren Sanderson in burnished brown?  Made by AE and currently on sale for $312.  http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812&cp=2943767.2018030&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&pg=2&parentPage=family

 

Otherwise, you could try to catch the Brooks Brothers Peal wingtip during a Black Friday sale (last year ended up being somewhere around $300).

 

Or wait to see if a dark brown wingtip is one of the new offering for Meermin in the next month or so.  That as well will be around $300 if it is part of the Linea Maestro line.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

AE Strand?

Not a wing-tip.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

I know you said balmoral, but how about the Ralph Lauren Sanderson in burnished brown?  Made by AE and currently on sale for $312.  http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812&cp=2943767.2018030&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&pg=2&parentPage=family

 

Otherwise, you could try to catch the Brooks Brothers Peal wingtip during a Black Friday sale (last year ended up being somewhere around $300).

 

Or wait to see if a dark brown wingtip is one of the new offering for Meermin in the next month or so.  That as well will be around $300 if it is part of the Linea Maestro line.

 

Are the items made by AE for other brands (RL in this case) of higher quality? None of AE's shoes retail close to the RL retail price, or is RL simply doing a higher markup than others would?

post #9 of 15
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe86 View Post

 

Are the items made by AE for other brands (RL in this case) of higher quality? None of AE's shoes retail close to the RL retail price, or is RL simply doing a higher markup than others would?

 

Both.  AE makes the RL shoes to a more exacting standard than regular AE's, but RL still prices them in excess of the comparable AE in the Independence collection.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby View Post

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up some dark brown wingtips, but I'm having trouble finding some good ones. Something like the AE McAllister would be exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately the McAllister doesn't come in dark brown. Could any of you recommend a good brand/model? Price range is sub-$300 on sale.

The specs I'm looking for are:
- dark brown shortwings
- balmorals / closed lacing
- full-grain calf
- fully leather lined
- leather sole
- Goodyear welted
- made in a country with "reputable" craftsmanship (e.g., US, UK, Italy, Spain)

Thanks!

You can try looking on ebay for AE Jeffersons in dark brown; they can be had for under $300 in near new condition if you're not too particular.
post #12 of 15
I thought the default answer is the RL Marlow, albeit a blucher...smile.gif I was able to convinced a good friend to take advantage of the recent sale. His original budget is similar yours and in calf...But after seeing the Marlow in person, the rest is history...Cry once and be done with it...just my .02
....I like the RL Sanderson in burnished brown or BB Peal suggestions...
post #13 of 15

i seriously hope you are joking! people in this forum think that paying a gazilllion dollar for a pair of shenigans shoes will get them to sleep well at night?

 

if you dont believe it, just go ahead and buy some C&J or Trickers, pay inexplicable abusive sums of money and sleep better at night in the safe notion that to have a good pair of well built shoes you have to shell out a load of money. the Portuguese Shoe Indutry thanks you for that!! or the British brands that OEM us...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby View Post

 

That Nunes Correa stuff looks great, incredible value for goodyear shoes (on sale for 52 euros which is less than $70). Do you know if they use full-grain leather? Having a hard time believing that we can buy full-grain goodyear shoes for under $70!

 

post #14 of 15
A previous review here said that the leather on the Nunes Correa shoes was stiff and cheap - but gave good reviews to the suede.

The owner had a pair in each and after a lot of wear he said they had held up well.

fwiw.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

You could probably find an AE McAllister for under 300 on ebay or B&S.
If you're very budget conscious, I would also recommend this:
http://www.nunescorrea.com/shoes/
Excellent value for the money; goodyear welted and very sturdy. Email them directly about brown oxfords as they're not featured on the website (but I've seen them in store).


With a company like nunescorreo.com, how do you do with sizing? Do they work well with returns? I couldn't even find where they (he?) was located or a phone number.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dark brown wingtip oxfords - recommendations?