• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music

Brian SD

Reaction score
There isn't really any thread about what kind of music the guys around the board listen to. I'll start it off with what I listen to and general opinions about music. Not sure who all is a big music fan out there, though, but I know of at least a few who will know some of these bands. Repliers need not post in this identical format, I'm just starting it off. I listen to well over 200 bands, so I'm going to do my best to keep it narrow and simple. Top 10 favorite bands: The Microphones The Rapture The Unicorns TV On The Radio Radiohead Manitoba Wilco Franz Ferdinand Sufjan Stevens M83 Music I absolutely won't listen to: Nu-Metal Favorite Punk album: Fugazi - The Argument Favorite Hip-Hop album: Danger Mouse & Jemini - Ghetto Pop Life Favorite Electronic album: Mu - Afro Finger & Gel Favorite Pop album: The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? Best Dance Party album: ... - Self-titled Most overrated band: The Mars Volta Guilty pleasure: Beyonce
wow.gif

kalra2411

Reaction score
A load of Hindi stuff you guys have never heard of
confused.gif
: Pankaj Udhas - In Search of Meer Pankaj Udhas - Stolen Moments Adnan Sami - Tera Cherea Adnan Sami - Khabie To Nazar Milao Plan Sonu Nigam - Jaan etc. for those who know what this stuff is....
sad.gif

vero_group

Reaction score
I like Amr Diab. Guess that isn't the same thing though. I have some Hindi disco/Bollywood music on my home PC. Can't remember the names though.

Mitch D

Reaction score
Brian, Actually,music has been discussed in this forum,usually in the "Entertainment and Culture" section. In a quick search,I found threads on Guster,The Avalanches,Sade,Electronica,and "Greatest American Rock Band?" Regardless,I'm always up for talking about music,and being turned on to bands of which I've not heard. I certainly concur with your dislike of Nu Metal; the sooner that bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit go the way of the boy bands,the better. My one exception: Korn. They are one rap-metal band I consistently enjoy. I also share your fondness for Wilco. Are you also a(n) Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt fan? "Alt Country/No Depression" music is a refreshing change from the corporate,crossover oriented country music that rules the radio these days. Have you checked out www.twangcast.com ? Great webcast of real country/western music,both old and new. And No Depression magazine (published right here in Seattle),is a great source for alt country fans. Music That I've been listening to lately: Aveo -- "Battery" Damien Rice -- "O" The Frames -- "Set List" Todd Snider -- "Near Truths & Hotel Rooms. Todd Snider Live" Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society -- "The Blessed Hellride" Lacuna Coil -- "Comalies" Fountains Of Wayne -- "Welcome Interstate Managers" Just Jack -- "The Outer Marker" Favorite music: Rock (AC/DC,Tool,Black Label Society,Jet,Stevie Ray Vaughn) Music I Most Want To Add To My Collection: Electronica (recommendations are highly encouraged.). I enjoy Radiohead,Sigur Ros,Massive Attack,Death Cab For Cutie,Modest Mouse. Guilty Pleasure: Def Leppard

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Brian and Mitch, Â Â Y'all will understand how upset I was when I heard that Wilco had cancelled several shows on their spring tour -- including April 23 at Orpheum in New Orleans. Â I still need to figure out how to go about getting refunded Â
confused.gif
.  Oh and Mitch D: yeah, my good friend who was going with me to the concert is a big Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt fan.   Other groups and artists of interest: Aerosmith, Better Than Ezra, Counting Crows, Cowboy Mouth, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Guster, Josh Kelley, Just Jinger, Led Zeppelin, Live, REM, Rolling Stones, U2, Wyclef Jean   Band I hate more than anything: Sum 41

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Embarrasingly enough, I am going through a bit of a disco revival in my musical tastes right now.

Most recently I have been listening to the Bay City Rollers, KC and the Sunshine Band, Earth Wind & Fire, and the Commodores.

I think this was brought on by that TV ad that's on right now that uses the intro to Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers - S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y HEY. Sad to say, I don't even know what product they are advertising.

Bradford (stuck in the 70's)

Brian SD

Reaction score
Y'all will understand how upset I was when I heard that Wilco had cancelled several shows on their spring tour
They cancelled Coachella.
sad.gif
I am going to Coachella this weekend. In case you didn't know, Jeff Tweedy is in rehab for his addiction to pain killers (he's been having Migraines since he was a kid, and apparently got hooked on his medication). Have you Wilco fans checked out justafan.org? It's really neat - since their new album (coming out in June) was leaked to the internet, they wanted to prove to the music community and the RIAA that music fans will still support the bands... So they put up a PayPal email that takes donations and 100% of it is going to Doctors Without Borders (the band's favorite charity). They have raised almost $10,000 just from PayPal donations.. As far as country goes, I'm not really a big fan, but I have been listening to some folky stuff. I am more into Wilco's recent artsier stuff as opposed to their older albums. Some other southerny bands I've been listening to: Summer Hymns, Iron & Wine, Devandra Banhart Mitch, here are some awesome electronic bands you should listen to: +The Books - "The Lemon of Pink" - one of the greatest albums I've ever heard +Fennesz +Dntel .. .You said you like Death Cab for Cutie? Ben Gibbard (singer of DCFC) is collaborating with Jimmy Tamborello (Dntel). Their group is called Postal Service. While I don't like Postal Service, I DO really like Dntel. It's pure, good electronic. +Four Tet - Chill out downtempo Electronic +Metamatics - IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) +Schneider TM - Another IDM band (German) +Ellen Allien - German electronic artist. Her album, "Berlinette" is amazing. +Mu - Very weird, dark, artsy electronic w/ vocals. If you're feeling adventurous, you will be blown away. Bradford, I know it would probably disgust most disco-fans to hear about the recent disco-influenced bands. Consider downloading "Sister Savior," by the Rapture. It's been coined as Dance Punk, but its a heavily disco-influenced song.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Bradford,

I believe the commercial was for Planters Peanuts. And, thank you, because I'd been wondering whose song that was.

Brian,

I had heard that one of the band members was in rehab. I couldn't remember who it was, though. Is there anyone else of interest going to Coachella? Because, from what I read, they aren't refunding that...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
   I believe the commercial was for Planters Peanuts.  And, thank you, because I'd been wondering whose song that was.
No problem - It drove me nuts for a while too because the song was just stuck in my head and I couldn't figure it out either.

Bradford

P.S. I don't always listen to disco - it's just this week's phase.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Think topic works better here.... Bradford: So a commercial for Planters drives you nuts
smile.gif
?

Brian SD

Reaction score
So a commercial for Planters drives you nuts  ?
biggrin.gif
NavyStyles, my answer to your question regarding other bands at Coachella is a big fat, "YES." There are going to be 33 bands there that I like, so it will be a lot of fun for me. It will be HOT though. It's scorching here in San Diego today, and Indio is out there in the desert... To name a few more prominent names: Radiohead, The Cure, The Pixies, The Flaming Lips, and Kraftwerk are all playing Coachella. It's a bummer for me that Wilco isn't showing up, but they are just one of the many bands that I love that will be showing up.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
There are going to be 33 bands there that I like, so it will be a lot of fun for me.
Rock on. I was just hoping that Wilco wasn't the majority of the reason you bought a ticket.

Mitch D

Reaction score
Brian, Thank you for your suggestions.. I'll definitely check them out.
biggrin.gif
Mitch

artdeco73

Reaction score
There isn't really any thread about what kind of music the guys around the board listen to. I'll start it off with what I listen to and general opinions about music. Not sure who all is a big music fan out there...

I consider myself a huge music fan, but would I be showing my age or utter lack of hipness if I said that rock and pop don't do much for me?  I've been listening to as much classical music as I can lately, although jazz will probably always remain my true love, especially the colder, sparser playing of European musicans.  Currently in the CD player: John Surman, "Corruscating."  Anyone else out there cares about that sort of thing?

Regards,
artdeco73

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads