or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Music - Page 60

post #886 of 1048
Matt and Kim
Best Fwends
post #887 of 1048
With 60+ pages of posts, I'm sure this will be lost and I'll probably never see if anyone cared or not, but here's what I listen to:

Alternative(-ish) rock mostly
-Ben Folds
-Conor Oberst
-Elliott Smith
-Danmass (not alternative per se)
-I Monster
-Gary Jules
-Ryan Adams
-Rufus Wainwright (only some...)

Even though I listen to that more, I actually have far more classical and sacred music albums - a couple thousand. Any choir especially, any composer of sacred pieces, any mass - if you need it I'm sure I have it! I think the reason for this is because my tastes in other music change so frequently that I don't want to commit to purchasing their albums.
post #888 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
With 60+ pages of posts, I'm sure this will be lost and I'll probably never see if anyone cared or not, but here's what I listen to: Alternative(-ish) rock mostly -Ben Folds -Conor Oberst -Elliott Smith -Danmass (not alternative per se) -I Monster -Gary Jules -Ryan Adams -Rufus Wainwright (only some...) Even though I listen to that more, I actually have far more classical and sacred music albums - a couple thousand. Any choir especially, any composer of sacred pieces, any mass - if you need it I'm sure I have it! I think the reason for this is because my tastes in other music change so frequently that I don't want to commit to purchasing their albums.
I've been checking it pretty obsessively the past week or so. I'm sure there are others who are constantly dropping in on the thread. And old spiritual music is amazing. Sure it's not as cool as crate diving, but Dust-to-Digital does some pretty good compilations, among their best is "Goodbye, Babylon", which I think you might enjoy.
post #889 of 1048
Anyone else have a sub to emusic? I have 18 downloads left...over 70 items on my save for later list...and I still can't figure out what I want to get....
post #890 of 1048
I'm up to my friggin armpits in online music store credit. I haven't use ANY of my emusic dls this month, and I have a bunch of iTunes certificates I haven't used. I'm open to recommendations, too.
post #891 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
I'm up to my friggin armpits in online music store credit. I haven't use ANY of my emusic dls this month, and I have a bunch of iTunes certificates I haven't used. I'm open to recommendations, too.

emusic has some great stuff.

Pandora.fm is what I usually use to find new stuff.
post #892 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonglover View Post
Dust-to-Digital does some pretty good compilations, among their best is "Goodbye, Babylon", which I think you might enjoy.

Looks cool... but for $100...
Maybe someday.
post #893 of 1048
Honestly, there are probably 50 good songs and 50 good classical pieces. The rest is utter forgettable garbage. The sheer volume of music downloads available online is an evidence of indiscriminate tastes of the masses and inherited inability to distinguish shit from chocolate.
post #894 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
Honestly, there are probably 50 good songs and 50 good classical pieces. The rest is utter forgettable garbage. The sheer volume of music downloads available online is an evidence of indiscriminate tastes of the masses and inherited inability to distinguish shit from chocolate.

Huh? Are you talking about eMusic? The service contains a plethora of great albums. Here's some of the stuff I've downloaded since I started subscribing:

A Sunny Day In Glasgow: Scribble Mural Comic Journal
The Books: The Lemon of Pink
The Books: Thought For Food
cLOUDDEAD
Deerhunter: Cryptograms
Gregor Samsa: 55:12
Jens Lekman: Oh You're So Silent Jens
Keith Fullerton Whitman: Multiples
Keith Fullerton Whitman: Playthroughs
Max Richter: Songs From Before
Panda Bear: Person Pitch
R. Keenan Lawler: Music for Bluegrass States
Rhys Catham: A Crimson Grail (For 400 Electric Guitars)
Scott Walker: The Drift
Soft Circle: Full Bloom
Stars of the Lid: And Their Refinement of The Decline
The Microphones: The Glow Pt 2
Tim Hecker: Harmony in Ultraviolet
The Twilight Sad: Fourteen Autumns, Fifteen Winters

And that's about a fifth of what I've downloaded. Certainly nothing bad on that list (subjectivity aside; if you don't like it, you don't like it) and I'm definitely not a member of the indescriminate masses.

And to those that do subscribe, what plan do you have? I recently dowgraded to the lowest tier because I get most of my stuff for free (a lot of the albums above are actually re-purchases for one reason or another) and I just felt like, with 90 songs, I was downloading a lot of stuff I normally wouldn't listen to.
post #895 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
Honestly, there are probably 50 good songs and 50 good classical pieces. The rest is utter forgettable garbage. The sheer volume of music downloads available online is an evidence of indiscriminate tastes of the masses and inherited inability to distinguish shit from chocolate.
In the history of the world there are only 100 good pieces of music? I disagree, but I do agree that a huge amount of music is crap, especially now that everyone can upload their recordings online when they used to have to go through agents or at least perform concerts where they were informed that they sucked.
post #896 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
Honestly, there are probably 50 good songs and 50 good classical pieces. The rest is utter forgettable garbage. The sheer volume of music downloads available online is an evidence of indiscriminate tastes of the masses and inherited inability to distinguish shit from chocolate.

post #897 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
Honestly, there are probably 50 good songs and 50 good classical pieces. The rest is utter forgettable garbage. The sheer volume of music downloads available online is an evidence of indiscriminate tastes of the masses and inherited inability to distinguish shit from chocolate.

Wow nothing new there...a great amount of music is created for the social and cultural interaction....in other words, not everything can be a dead european white dude's idea of a toe tappin hootenanny.


or


Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you.
post #898 of 1048
Blah, I've been pretty disenchanted with everything coming out lately. There's still a glut of amazing stuff being created, but so much of it is redundant. Thus, I've mainly just been working on my own music the past month or so. A surprise, however. I was listening to CBC Radio 3 Podcast with Grant Lawrence, which is OK to good, depending on the week. Lots of middling indie-rock with the occasional gem. But it's free, so it gets a couple points there. Anyway, I was listening and this track came up: "Archaeologists" by a Vancouver band called Lotus Child. It started with thumping burlesque piano, glimmery generi-guitar, basic rhythm drums and a boy with a pretty So-Cal voice singing trite lyrics. Sounded very mall-punk and I was like, "What the fuck is this shit?" and began to turn the podcast off when.... SPOILER WARNING! PLEASE, JUST GO FIND THE SONG ON iTUNES OR DOWNLOAD THE CBC RADIO 3 PODCAST FOR THE WEEK OF 5/4 (SONG COMES ON AT 48:55). 'TIS FREE. ....the chorus hit and knocked me off my feet. The song completely switched tempo and is just a glorious, surging march. And then as fast as it came it disappeared, then re-appeared, this time segueing into a gorgeous ballad which then faded into accompanying violin and a wonderful affected drum which plays into the chorus, then taking off into a flurry of harmonic shouts, hand claps and some fantastic piano to end the song on an emotional high. This song, literally, took my breath away. Go download it. I am normally not into this type of music, but this song is a perfect and interesting pop song. It is ADD-addled mini-symphony in the mold of Architecture in Helsinki, with an emotional weight that that band could never have (nor would I want them to). It's pretty, exciting, unpretentious and if the general public had good taste this would be a perfect song to dominate the Billboard charts. Gasp....that's a lot of words, but those that pay attention to my listening habits know I do not favor basic music such as this. The fact that I find this song so great has spurred me to recommend it to everyone I know. It's that good. So besides that the few things I've been listening to include: A-Track: Dirty South Dance (Girl Talk did it better about a year ago but this is still fun) Seefeel: Quique (Redux Edition) That's about all for brand new stuff, however I have listened to albums I've already recommended like The Field and Gui Boratto. Oh, and Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works 85-92". It's probably my favorite album ever (tied with Pet Sounds) and whenever I'm going full-speed ahead on my own music I constantly listen to this for inspiration.
post #899 of 1048
Cool jong. You can hear the song on their website as well:

http://www.lotuschild.com/
post #900 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque View Post
Cool jong. You can hear the song on their website as well:

http://www.lotuschild.com/

Cool, thanks man.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Music