or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MTM question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MTM question

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So I'm going through the first MTM "experience" here with a local, well known Toronto retailer of Samuelsohn. I went in for a fitting for the suit I chose, and the pants were a lot fuller then I wanted. Especially considering how I talked to the salesman at the store as I was looking for a cut similar to my Pal Zileri suit, but perhaps with a little bit of breathing room. The salesman did indicate Samuelsohn didn't follow his instructions and made the pants baggier/fuller then he hoped.

Either way, he assured me his in house tailor would correct it. He pinned the pants to slim/taper them and gave me a 5 day turn around. The jacket seemed to fit good, but I admit I was a bit thrown off on how dissapointed the pants fit especially considering I waited about 4 weeks for this.

I just realized this morning though, if the pants came back fuller/baggier then I wanted. Won't there be a problem with the seat/crotch area of the pants? I did voice my concern when I was there that there seemed to be a little bit of excess fabric on the front/crotch area of my pants. He assured me slimming the pants will correct/alleviate this as I was probably focuing too much on how wide the pants are. I know it's next to impossible to alter excess fabric on the crotch area. Is there even such thing as having pants with too much excess fabric on the crotch area?

Another thing.. isn't MTM supposed to be about the suitting coming back almost perfect fitting? To me, having him keep the pants and using his local tailor to slim them defeats the whole process? Should I voice my concern and tell him to return the pants to Samuelsohn and ask them to resend the pants again with proper measurments?
post #2 of 8

A reputable MTM reseller will stand behind the product.  If it doesn't fit as promised, give him a chance to make it right.  If you don't like it, then have him re-order it or give you a refund.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

A reputable MTM reseller will stand behind the product.  If it doesn't fit as promised, give him a chance to make it right.  If you don't like it, then have him re-order it or give you a refund.

My wife actually told me the same. She did make the point that there is no way he could make it in the area where he is in Toronto and last this long. For some reason I haven't had luck with any reputtable store yet.

I will give them a chance and try the pants on again. What turned me off (and it was partly my fault) was when i came in to try the suit, I was wearing a sweater. He still had me try on the suit jacket but I am not sure how he or I could make a proper assessment of the fit without wearing a collared shirt.

Either way. Lesson learned, and hopefully it will be a better 2nd fitting, when I do get the call that the pants are ready, I will definitly come in wearing the shirt/shoes combo I need to.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFA View Post

My wife actually told me the same. She did make the point that there is no way he could make it in the area where he is in Toronto and last this long. For some reason I haven't had luck with any reputtable store yet.
I will give them a chance and try the pants on again. What turned me off (and it was partly my fault) was when i came in to try the suit, I was wearing a sweater. He still had me try on the suit jacket but I am not sure how he or I could make a proper assessment of the fit without wearing a collared shirt.
Either way. Lesson learned, and hopefully it will be a better 2nd fitting, when I do get the call that the pants are ready, I will definitly come in wearing the shirt/shoes combo I need to.

Its really tough to sell a MTM to fit exactly to the t as it should. I know this sounds really bad but I am on the opposite side as a person who sells MTM. Again if this is your first experience with the store then they should fix it. I know I would. If the tailor in store can make it perfect then you save that information for a future order so that IF you decide to order again you have a perfect or almost perfect suit. I have been wearing MTM for a while but I always have issues with my sizing. I wear a size 38 pant but the pants are always way too big so we have worked to make it better but its still not exactly spot on just yet.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Its really tough to sell a MTM to fit exactly to the t as it should. I know this sounds really bad but I am on the opposite side as a person who sells MTM. Again if this is your first experience with the store then they should fix it. I know I would. If the tailor in store can make it perfect then you save that information for a future order so that IF you decide to order again you have a perfect or almost perfect suit. I have been wearing MTM for a while but I always have issues with my sizing. I wear a size 38 pant but the pants are always way too big so we have worked to make it better but its still not exactly spot on just yet.

Thanks. I'm definitly leaning towards giving him a chance until I get a call this week for the fitting again. I just want to avoid that awkward conversation that when I do come back, and if the pants are still billowy or the excess fabric is still there that I have to convince him to fix. I know before leaving the store he asked if I wanted to complete paying for the remaining balance I owe (I put a 50% deposit) and I told him I would leave it until I come again for the fitting.

Either way. I'm hoping it's corrected and will be right. I might ask my wife to come in and have her look at the pants as she's very opinionated and willing to give a truthful answer. She did tell me I should have stuck with getting a Pal Zileri as that's my first good fitting suit, but I explained to her a Samuelsohn is just as good.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFA View Post

Thanks. I'm definitly leaning towards giving him a chance until I get a call this week for the fitting again. I just want to avoid that awkward conversation that when I do come back, and if the pants are still billowy or the excess fabric is still there that I have to convince him to fix. I know before leaving the store he asked if I wanted to complete paying for the remaining balance I owe (I put a 50% deposit) and I told him I would leave it until I come again for the fitting.
Either way. I'm hoping it's corrected and will be right. I might ask my wife to come in and have her look at the pants as she's very opinionated and willing to give a truthful answer. She did tell me I should have stuck with getting a Pal Zileri as that's my first good fitting suit, but I explained to her a Samuelsohn is just as good.

If he is a tailor my best suggestion is to take your best fitting pant with you and show him what you like and how you want it to fit. If he cant fix the pants that were made for you then he should have them re-made just how you like it.
post #7 of 8

^^^ That's the way ot should work.  I ordered a MTMsport coat.  It didn't come out right.  The vendor set me up with his contract tailor who adjusted it to my specifications.  No fuss and at no cost to me.  If it didn't come out right, I wouldn't have paid for it. 

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post


If he is a tailor my best suggestion is to take your best fitting pant with you and show him what you like and how you want it to fit. If he cant fix the pants that were made for you then he should have them re-made just how you like it.

 

Absolutely, it is recommended though when getting fitted to always wear your best fitting clothes so the tailor can make the necessary notes about your style, so there's little room for error on the part of the tailor.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MTM question