or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rugby Ralph Lauren: Rest In Peace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rugby Ralph Lauren: Rest In Peace - Page 2

post #16 of 30
I actually like their Rugby line, I would have thought their Denim line is rubbish and need to go.
post #17 of 30
Why was Rugby always on a separate domain to the rest of the online RL operation? Site was horrible to use and very slow to load. Surprised they managed to sell anything.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Why was Rugby always on a separate domain to the rest of the online RL operation? Site was horrible to use and very slow to load. Surprised they managed to sell anything.

Rugby was created for skinny gents. TBH I liked their website. It is separate and small collections and easy to browse through.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Rugby was created for skinny gents. TBH I liked their website. It is separate and small collections and easy to browse through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Why was Rugby always on a separate domain to the rest of the online RL operation? Site was horrible to use and very slow to load. Surprised they managed to sell anything.

The letter from the earning's report from 04/05 notes that RL Rugby was slated as to be the next 'Polo Ralph Lauren'. It was supposed to be a college focused brand, that wasn't PRL related (even though the models wore PRL and RL shoes/boots, and fabrics were shared between the brands.) I've never had a problem with the site, and i enjoyed the fact that it was experimental and the designs were very fun. if anything it was a great bridge in terms of growing up and clothing. They really had high hopes, but it was a very niche market, i always doubted they could bring it to PRL levels of popularity. Honestly, I never wished it to get that popular, and glad it hasn't.

Rugby simply closed, as stated in their report, because they want to focus on 'Denim and Supply' and 'Club Monaco'. My thoughts are that it wasn't really clicking in some areas. Can you blame them, the preppy factor and look can really turn some people off. Kids in college can't really afford clothing from Rugby and most don't care to dress proper or preppy. I think at Michigan State University I was the only male to wear a button down shirt, everyone else was in sweats... Most kids in college buy their first suit for an interview and not too much thought goes into quality and etc... Rugby had limited growth potential in a few select areas, whereas Polo is so well recognized that people in Wisconsin will buy it, but i doubt anyone there has ever heard of Rugby RL, and upon seeing something from Rugby - they would rather go to PRL since it's not their style.

What I am hoping happens is that the designer (Lee Norwood I believe) and his team move to PRL, and get a chance to transition some of Rugby into PRL.

For the rest of us that were Rugby RL fans, our best bets are Brooks Brothers Flatiron and Gant/Gant Rugger. Although BB Flatiron is tough to come by if you aren't in NY, and Gant/Gant Rugger can get quite expensive compared to Rugby RL...
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


For the rest of us that were Rugby RL fans, our best bets are Brooks Brothers Flatiron and Gant/Gant Rugger. Although BB Flatiron is tough to come by if you aren't in NY, and Gant/Gant Rugger can get quite expensive compared to Rugby RL...

Nothing can replace rugby in the market. Rugby was the king of prep ... skinny peoples best friend.
I am still angry they are closing rugby. I wouldn't care even if they close RLPL.
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Nothing can replace rugby in the market. Rugby was the king of prep ... skinny peoples best friend.
I am still angry they are closing rugby. I wouldn't care even if they close RLPL.

That's a pretty bold statement. You would take Rugby over RLPL? Don't think you're in the right forum lol.

I think RLBL items are made for slender and skinny men as well, definitely not prep though — if that's what you're looking for.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by plei89 View Post


That's a pretty bold statement. You would take Rugby over RLPL? Don't think you're in the right forum lol.
I think RLBL items are made for slender and skinny men as well, definitely not prep though — if that's what you're looking for.


reading comprehension ftw

post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Nothing can replace rugby in the market. Rugby was the king of prep ... skinny peoples best friend.
I am still angry they are closing rugby. I wouldn't care even if they close RLPL.

Being a Sz 36, and XS in Rugby - also owning a wardrobe that is around 70% Rugby RL, there are definitely replacements. Brook Brothers (not just Flatiron), Polo Ralph Lauren, Gant or Gant Rugger, J Press, Norman/Nick Hilton, Sid Mashburn, Barbour, Belstaff, LL Bean, Smart Turnout, Hazzys, Scotch and Soda, Robert Talbott, Penfield, Harris Tweed.

There is a lot out there...

RLPL is a great option if you have the $, and certain things are preppy vibed and certain things are slimmer than others. Even RRL has some pieces that can be considered preppy during certain seasons.

It all depends where you look, Rugby was a good excuse to not look in other places, if Rugby was your thing - and it definitely was mine.
post #24 of 30
Sad to hear this. Fwiw rugby has an insider 40% off sale going on right now.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post

Sad to hear this. Fwiw rugby has an insider 40% off sale going on right now.

(Already posted above. And) you missed the extra 20% icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif (but so did I!) But thanks for in the info! (Use code INSIDERFALL for extra 20%)
post #26 of 30

I'm pretty sure RRL is a money loser for Ralph Lauren as well. Remember hearing it was more of a labor of love type thing since it was himself and his wife's label.

post #27 of 30

^ Thank heaven that RRL is personal for them. I would hate to have to stock up on selvedge officer chinos after just being introduced to them this season.

post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post

Sad to hear this. Fwiw rugby has an insider 40% off sale going on right now.

I've been hearing they will be having huge Sale all in February.
post #29 of 30

I agree! I am a huge RL rugby collector & the skull & bones logo is super cool. A sin that it had to close down. But, now every piece is a collector's item.

post #30 of 30
I went to London Covant Garden to buy a few things for summer and found it closed frown.gif I own a few blazers and trouser from them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rugby Ralph Lauren: Rest In Peace