or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ❄ 2012 'SAVE FOR CHRISTMAS' CLUB (NPC NOV-DEC Special Edition) ❄
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

❄ 2012 'SAVE FOR CHRISTMAS' CLUB (NPC NOV-DEC Special Edition) ❄ - Page 6

post #76 of 115
Can I put the money from my recent sales of a pea coat and 2 pairs of shoes towards a new purchase without breaking the rule?
post #77 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

Can I put the money from my recent sales of a pea coat and 2 pairs of shoes towards a new purchase without breaking the rule?

No you may not. smile.gif nice try.
post #78 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

15 bucks for 1909 neutral shoe cream and another 15 for a horsehair brush. shog%5B1%5D.gif

 
I have a conference in a few days. And I'd gone since November without polishing. Would it have been better to have them polished?

EDIT: FCF, I'll send you some of mine. If you get a gooey envelope, don't be alarmed.

Fuck, I just realized I could have borrowed some instead of buying it.

Sell the items quickly for what you paid for them or give it away and you will have redeemed yourself. If you managed to sneak some to polish your shoes first, we don't need to know.
post #79 of 115

Well, that was embarrassing. I successfully gave them away. I hadn't thought of a good explanation as to why I was giving away an unopened (ahem) can of shoe cream and an unused (uhoh.gif) brush, so when he asked why, I went with the truth. Which was awkward. This is also the guy who told me not to buy him a tie (I found another recipient for that). He found the truth laughable, and he pointed out that by giving it away, I was actually incurring a not merely a shift in value, but an actual loss in value.

 

I'm second guessing myself here, but I'm gonna go ahead and go through with the giveaway. It feels weird...like I'm valuing the internets more than the real life. Probably something wrong there, but since there are a few extra circumstances at work, I think the principle wins out this time around.
 

post #80 of 115
Well in light of this - I also have a confession to make. I also picked up some shoe cream and shoe polish today. I guess that's a failure according to the strictest interpretation of the rules (MoL's) - but if that's off limits because it's clothing related, then shouldn't laundry detergent be off limits too??? biggrin.gif

Not sure I can bring myself to give them away because people would ask why - and the first rule of NPC club is you do not talk about NPC club icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Edited by FidelCashflow - 12/3/12 at 10:07pm
post #81 of 115

Initially, my reaction was "yeah! What FCF said!!" But then I thought about it. Going for a few weeks without detergent will very rapidly make you socially unacceptable. Going a few weeks without polish probably wouldn't.

 

Hey, FCF, if I give away my cream and brush to you, would you be willing to give me something of comparable value and use?
 

post #82 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

No you may not. smile.gif nice try.

ffffuuuu.gif

baldy[1].gif
post #83 of 115
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Initially, my reaction was "yeah! What FCF said!!" But then I thought about it. Going for a few weeks without detergent will very rapidly make you socially unacceptable. Going a few weeks without polish probably wouldn't.

Hey, FCF, if I give away my cream and brush to you, would you be willing to give me something of comparable value and use?

 

Hmmm.... If I buy something and give it away to you and you buy the exact same thing and give it away to me - we haven't broken any rules.... I think we just found a loophole in the system! devil.gif
post #84 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow View Post

Well in light of this - I also have a confession to make. I also picked up some shoe cream and shoe polish today. I guess that's a failure according to the strictest interpretation of the rules (MoL's) - but if that's off limits because it's clothing related, then shouldn't laundry detergent be off limits too??? biggrin.gif
Not sure I can bring myself to give them away because people would ask why - and the first rule of NPC club is you do not talk about NPC club icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

laundry detergent may very well be off-limits, though you could easily buy one of those large tubs before the NPC starts. Even if you join for consecutive months, there is always a weekend or so between months where you are allowed to spend. An alternative for detergent is for your spouse to buy it for the family. You would just use some of the family's supply.

post #85 of 115

stirpot.gif

post #86 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow View Post

Hmmm.... If I buy something and give it away to you and you buy the exact same thing and give it away to me - we haven't broken any rules.... I think we just found a loophole in the system! devil.gif

I must say I am impressed with your ingenuity and will be happy to incorporate into future NPC rules, the phrase 'acquiring clothing or clothing-related items by any other means' to future club rules. Thank you sensi. smile.gif ..please keep the suggestions coming... lurker[1].gif
post #87 of 115

bah, we will find loopholes just as fast as you will close them.
 

My coworker took the brush but wouldn't take the shoe cream. It's the thought that counts, right?

post #88 of 115
Thread Starter 
unbelievable....just unbelievable....are you guys all lawyers? confused.gif

Alright.....all you varmants....NO Spending.
Remember...
End Date: Sunday December 16, 2012 11:59:59 pm (your time)
and the late joiners or re-booters...
End Date: Sunday December 23, 2012 11:59:59 pm (your time)

I am still riding high over here. Not one cent spent.
You guys are all going to enjoy Boxing week with the money you saved, I am sure.
post #89 of 115
What if I place an order now but have the merchant bill my CC and ship them on the 16th? shog[1].gif
post #90 of 115

Need a ruling,...

 

Nordstrom had their pre-sale today and i went and reserved about 1600$ worth of stuff (2 joseph aboud suits, and 3 pairs of nordstrom flannel pants) buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it i all just on hold until the actual sale starts the day after christmas....so how am i doing ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ❄ 2012 'SAVE FOR CHRISTMAS' CLUB (NPC NOV-DEC Special Edition) ❄