or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 67

post #991 of 2848
I like the scene 'cause it's good drama and all that. But if you watch the fight itself, it's ridiculous. Luke keeps making these huge, slow swings, and Vader just sits there and takes it. He passes on a half dozen or so chances to slice Luke in half with the flick of a wrist.
post #992 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I like the scene 'cause it's good drama and all that. But if you watch the fight itself, it's ridiculous. Luke keeps making these huge, slow swings, and Vader just sits there and takes it. He passes on a half dozen or so chances to slice Luke in half with the flick of a wrist.

How much does Vader really want to kill Luke? He waivers in ESB too - "There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you."
post #993 of 2848
Thread Starter 
I always interpreted it as he was caught off guard by Luke's sudden assault and wasn't able to compose himself before completely loosing the advantage.

EDIT: Also I never viewed them as slow. They were in line with what we saw in ESB. Only appear slow in comparison to the ADHD fights of the prequels.
post #994 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I like the scene 'cause it's good drama and all that. But if you watch the fight itself, it's ridiculous. Luke keeps making these huge, slow swings, and Vader just sits there and takes it. He passes on a half dozen or so chances to slice Luke in half with the flick of a wrist.

That's something I never really thought about with the lightsaber fighting styles of most of the Jedi and Sith: why do they swing so hard? The lightsaber will effortlessly cut through anything, so why use two hands and swing it like a claymore? I think Dooku was the only one who really took advantage of that with his fighting style.
post #995 of 2848
count dooku's fighting style makashi has a lot to do with shape of his sabre, the curvature of hilt gives him more control of his blade and allows similar damage to a straight light sabre using smaller and light movements almost like a fencing style.
post #996 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

How much does Vader really want to kill Luke? He waivers in ESB too - "There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you."
That's a good point. But if you remember, Vader wasn't so hesitant to mutilate a little when necessary. And they kept going about how "powerful" being angry made Luke. Gimme a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I always interpreted it as he was caught off guard by Luke's sudden assault and wasn't able to compose himself before completely loosing the advantage.

EDIT: Also I never viewed them as slow. They were in line with what we saw in ESB. Only appear slow in comparison to the ADHD fights of the prequels.

Spectacularly slow. I don't know much about sword fighting, but I do know that if you swing a sword like a baseball bat you're dead. And the lightsaber doesn't require any force whatsoever to kill, unlike a real sword.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

That's something I never really thought about with the lightsaber fighting styles of most of the Jedi and Sith: why do they swing so hard? The lightsaber will effortlessly cut through anything, so why use two hands and swing it like a claymore? I think Dooku was the only one who really took advantage of that with his fighting style.

The better question would be why they don't just make these quick strikes at the other guy's hands. Every time they lock swords they're passing on an opportunity to take the other guy out of the fight.

I guess a realistic lightsaber fight would look ridiculous, with each guy standing with his arm outstretched as far as he could, poking rapidly and twirling the point trying to hit the other guy's wrist. Wouldn't make very good cinema.
post #997 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

That's something I never really thought about with the lightsaber fighting styles of most of the Jedi and Sith: why do they swing so hard? The lightsaber will effortlessly cut through anything, so why use two hands and swing it like a claymore? I think Dooku was the only one who really took advantage of that with his fighting style.

I never thought about that but you're totally right. If a simple touch of the blade can kill it doesn't make any sense whatsoever why they're swinging so hard. Now I'm never going to not stop thinking about this any time I watch SW.

DAMN YOU!!!
post #998 of 2848

Because these actors don't have training in staged combat, nor do Hollywood directors have lots of experience in this area.No other reason that fits into the story. It's not like they practiced and did nearly a hundred takes for months on end to pull off something that looks even close to these; that would eat up the budget.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

Edited by Mulan - 12/8/15 at 4:52am
post #999 of 2848

post #1000 of 2848
Thread Starter 
I think you guys are missing something important here. Even if we assume that a lightsaber requires little to no force to cut through flesh and bone, it's been established that when two of them come in contact it's as if two solid objects of similar density touch each other. Luke wasn't swinging hard because he thought the effort was needed to slice in half his father, he was doing to to maintain control in the fight versus Vader's lightsaber. Every blow was impacting against it, not an object that could be "easily" sliced through.
post #1001 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


The better question would be why they don't just make these quick strikes at the other guy's hands. Every time they lock swords they're passing on an opportunity to take the other guy out of the fight.

I guess a realistic lightsaber fight would look ridiculous, with each guy standing with his arm outstretched as far as he could, poking rapidly and twirling the point trying to hit the other guy's wrist. Wouldn't make very good cinema.

Sounds like something a cross guard would be good for. tongue.gif
post #1002 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I like the scene 'cause it's good drama and all that. But if you watch the fight itself, it's ridiculous. Luke keeps making these huge, slow swings, and Vader just sits there and takes it. He passes on a half dozen or so chances to slice Luke in half with the flick of a wrist.

1. yes this scene is great because of drama emotion and stuff
2. yes luke's attack sucked
3. Probably Vader would have not sliced him in half regardless because he didn't really want to kill him, but yes he could have
4. it's a movie, fencing in movies generally is not believable or historically accurate if know even a tiny bit about fencing
5. You must be fun to watch movies with lurker[1].gif


anyway in movie they never even try to hit each other and that's the most annoying thing especially in prequels
but yeah movies are movies and most likely we will not see Kylo Ren using these techniques with his
awesome sword;

but more of this:

Edited by wojt - 12/8/15 at 5:32am
post #1003 of 2848

So, has anybody posted the link to this Episode VII synopsis that sounds entirely legit, especially when rewatching the trailers...?

 

Possible spoilers obviously.

 

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

post #1004 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugotes View Post

So, has anybody posted the link to this Episode VII synopsis that sounds entirely legit, especially when rewatching the trailers...?

Possible spoilers obviously.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/


Yeah, while I only briefly skimmed it and would recommend anyone wanting to avoid spoilers to stay away. A large chunk of that is likely legit or in the least close enough. The owner of that site, Jason Ward, comes across as a bit of a moron but they have managed to get leaks right in the past. They have also posted things that turned out to be blatantly false, been caught editing old articles to match up with newly released info and been banned from at least one web forum for having a meltdown when the community questioned their info.
post #1005 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


The better question would be why they don't just make these quick strikes at the other guy's hands. Every time they lock swords they're passing on an opportunity to take the other guy out of the fight.

I guess a realistic lightsaber fight would look ridiculous, with each guy standing with his arm outstretched as far as he could, poking rapidly and twirling the point trying to hit the other guy's wrist. Wouldn't make very good cinema.

When I was a teenager and then later when I lived in Japan I dabbled in kendo and iaido. In kendo, at least, it's a scorable hit if you strike your opponent's hands. Many moves are designed to slap your opponent's sword to the side simply so you can strike the back of the hand/wrist. It always struck me as eminently practical in a real swordfight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**