or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 184

post #2746 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

R2 is a classification (astromech droids), not part of a unique identifier, e.g., "that R2 unit doesn't seem to be functioning properly now that the guy inside is dead."

So R2 = astromech droid, and D2 is his individual signifier? That makes the prospect of R2 units in the galaxy even smaller.

Or are there many R2-D2s?
post #2747 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

So R2 = astromech droid, and D2 is his individual signifier? That makes the prospect of R2 units in the galaxy even smaller.

Or are there many R2-D2s?

Could possibly be that the individual signifier is tecnically D2xxxxxxxx/xxx but shortening to R2-D2 is more convenient and sufficiently specific in context?
post #2748 of 2848
^ If a nerd put a blaster to my head, and I didn't have a light saber to block it, and he wasn't a storm-trooper nerd that was bound to miss, that is what I would go with, too.
post #2749 of 2848
I believe the R2 was a pretty primo model of astromech droid.

Think of it like a flagship SLR camera body. It may not be the newest in the lineup, but it is still the full featured beast used by the pros. The R4 or R5 units are the consumer grade models that get updated every year and may actually be more recent and contain some new functions, but they have a limited feature set and lack the durability and consistency of the R2. Other units may be specialized for specific types of use.

Weird that they would call this new droid a C* since it appears to be quite clearly an R* unit , and there have been several C* units in the prior star wars universe that are clearly not astromech droids.

But hey...they need to give it some sort of name to appeal to non-nerds...
post #2750 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I believe the R2 was a pretty primo model of astromech droid.

Think of it like a flagship SLR camera body. It may not be the newest in the lineup, but it is still the full featured beast used by the pros. The R4 or R5 units are the consumer grade models that get updated every year and may actually be more recent and contain some new functions, but they have a limited feature set and lack the durability and consistency of the R2. Other units may be specialized for specific types of use.

Weird that they would call this new droid a C* since it appears to be quite clearly an R* unit , and there have been several C* units in the prior star wars universe that are clearly not astromech droids.

But hey...they need to give it some sort of name to appeal to non-nerds...



I was reading the wookipedia page, and the C1 was the precursor to the R2 line.  Maybe there was a short-lived C2 line?

post #2751 of 2848
post #2752 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

 

We're in a star wars thread on a forum dedicated to men's clothing.  You're not telling us anything we don't know. :D

post #2753 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

C2-B5

Clearly pandering to the SJWs.
post #2754 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Clearly pandering to the SJWs.

INORITE? A black droid. Yeesh.
post #2755 of 2848
im pretty sure black r2d2 will get shot by white stormtroopers
post #2756 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

im pretty sure black r2d2 will get shot by white stormtroopers
He doesn't even hands to put up!
post #2757 of 2848
Not complying with a lawful order!
post #2758 of 2848
The threads are blending together idontevenknowanymore
post #2759 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

The threads are blending together idontevenknowanymore

Fuck you, Mulan.
post #2760 of 2848

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**