or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 173

post #2581 of 2848

They are opposites for sure, but it's part of what makes them so likeable together too. In the first trilogy, the group seemed like a bunch of misfits in some ways, forced together for a purpose. That feeling exists here too, but it's not surprising considering how many similarities TFA has with A New Hope.

post #2582 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Which brings up a point that has always sort of bugged me about the SW universe: how is it that a mass murderer gets to be "redeemed" by a couple of virtuous acts? Vader killed countless people but somehow turning on the Emperor and saving his son one afternoon made that all okay? Kylo murders his own father along with a bunch of helpless villagers, but we're all fully expecting him to somehow turn things around and maybe get Leia a Mother's Day card by this time next year. It's kind of troubling, really. It's like having Stalin do all his Stalin stuff and then save a puppy from drowning in a pond and all of a sudden he's everyone's hero.

How is it any different than most Christian teachings?  One can commit all kinds of evil acts, but asking for forgiveness is often enough.  Plus you're stretching your argument - it isn't like Vader saves a puppy.  He kills a Sith Master who is murdering millions and suppressing trillions (or more).

I think they realized it would pretty impossible to reconcile Vader with rebel allience so he had to die
but they did show his redemption as he became a force ghost like Obi and other good guys
post #2583 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

To be honest the only roadblock I could see in this strategy working is the film's rating. It's PG-13. I tried to get my Brother-in-Law to let me take my niece when I was visiting them for X-Mas and he decided against it because of that.

 

How old is your niece?  I've never met anyone who took movie or video game ratings very seriously except an elementary school friend's mom who interpreted them literally.  I remember because some early version of video game ratings had Kids to Adults which was like 7+ and she wouldn't let her kid play those games (ironically older but more violent video games he could play because they didn't have a rating).

post #2584 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

How is it any different than most Christian teachings?  One can commit all kinds of evil acts, but asking for forgiveness is often enough.  Plus you're stretching your argument - it isn't like Vader saves a puppy.  He kills a Sith Master who is murdering millions and suppressing trillions (or more).

I suppose in order for it to be analogous to Christianity there would have to be some intergalactic Savior who had already paid for Vader's sins, but whatevs. smile.gif

I recognize that what Vader did was of great benefit to the galaxy, but I can't help but think that Vader only turned on the Emperor when it was apparent that the Emperor was going to kill his kid. I'm not sure that that's a great example of heroism--only the lamest and most evil person would stand by and let his kid be murdered right in front of him. Vader showed a lot of inner conflict during ROTJ, but there wasn't much reason to suggest that he was anything other than on board with Palpatine's plan up until it was clear that Palpatine was actually going to kill Luke.
post #2585 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post


I suppose in order for it to be analogous to Christianity there would have to be some intergalactic Savior who had already paid for Vader's sins, but whatevs. smile.gif

I recognize that what Vader did was of great benefit to the galaxy, but I can't help but think that Vader only turned on the Emperor when it was apparent that the Emperor was going to kill his kid. I'm not sure that that's a great example of heroism--only the lamest and most evil person would stand by and let his kid be murdered right in front of him. Vader showed a lot of inner conflict during ROTJ, but there wasn't much reason to suggest that he was anything other than on board with Palpatine's plan up until it was clear that Palpatine was actually going to kill Luke.


and be replaced. :)


I agree with you: I'm just saying that it isn't unheard of evil characters being forgiven/redeemed by a single good act.

post #2586 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

How old is your niece?  I've never met anyone who took movie or video game ratings very seriously except an elementary school friend's mom who interpreted them literally.  I remember because some early version of video game ratings had Kids to Adults which was like 7+ and she wouldn't let her kid play those games (ironically older but more violent video games he could play because they didn't have a rating).

I sometimes wish that more people would pay attention, actually. There's nothing like sitting in a theater watching Batman v. Superman with a bunch of sobbing little kids because mom and dad thought that it would be fine to take them to a "comic book" movie. I still remember the mass exodus from the theater during the first five minutes of Lord of the Rings--screaming kids and upset parents who apparently hadn't done even the most basic research into the movie.
post #2587 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

How old is your niece?  I've never met anyone who took movie or video game ratings very seriously except an elementary school friend's mom who interpreted them literally.  I remember because some early version of video game ratings had Kids to Adults which was like 7+ and she wouldn't let her kid play those games (ironically older but more violent video games he could play because they didn't have a rating).


She was just under 5 at the time.

I wouldn't have cared, but he thought differently. I can only assume others think the same way.
post #2588 of 2848

I think many parents expect a 12A to be kid friendly by default. How wrong they are...

post #2589 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Different movies. Can't compare them.

Never tried to.

You do realize that the folks who dragged Alien into this thread and trying to make comparisons are the people arguing I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT SIGOURNEY WEAVER ON THE INTERNET WHEN ALIEN CAME OUT SO THAT PROVES I CAN'T BE SEXIST
post #2590 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

yea, cool still it won't work
it is a masculine movie with female lead, Harry Potter is a lot like Luke Skywalker but the story is told totally different. You will still get majority male fans. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
lolwut?
I'd reprise the question someone asked about daughters and girlfriends.
I have one daughter, multiple nieces, and lots of friends with daughters. Most of the young, reading-age girls I know love the shit out of some Harry Potter.
post #2591 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

yea, cool still it won't work
it is a masculine movie with female lead, Harry Potter is a lot like Luke Skywalker but the story is told totally different. You will still get majority male fans. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
lolwut?
I'd reprise the question someone asked about daughters and girlfriends.
I have one daughter, multiple nieces, and lots of friends with daughters. Most of the young, reading-age girls I know love the shit out of some Harry Potter.

Yes, sorry I could make it more clear what I meant. Arguement was SW is alot like HP, but it is HP what appeal to girls(generalization) because it focuses more on friends, bonds, relationships etc. SW is more of boy story and will remain a boy story even if you swap Luke with Rey. So SW will never have such girl appeal as HP in it's current shape imo.
post #2592 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

Yes, sorry I could make it more clear what I meant. Arguement was SW is alot like HP, but it is HP what appeal to girls(generalization) because it focuses more on friends, bonds, relationships etc. SW is more of boy story and will remain a boy story even if you swap Luke with Rey. So SW will never have such girl appeal as HP in it's current shape imo.

Star Wars can be anything the writers, directors and Disney decides it needs to be.
post #2593 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

Yes, sorry I could make it more clear what I meant. Arguement was SW is alot like HP, but it is HP what appeal to girls(generalization) because it focuses more on friends, bonds, relationships etc. SW is more of boy story and will remain a boy story even if you swap Luke with Rey. So SW will never have such girl appeal as HP in it's current shape.

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying. Anyone who thinks HP doesn't appeal to girls hasn't met my nieces . . .
post #2594 of 2848
Well all women I know liked Harry Potter, same can't be said for SW. Tbh I liked Harry Potter movies too, they were quite good. My ex made me watch them and i was surprised they didn't suck :P
post #2595 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Never tried to.

You do realize that the folks who dragged Alien into this thread and trying to make comparisons are the people arguing I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT SIGOURNEY WEAVER ON THE INTERNET WHEN ALIEN CAME OUT SO THAT PROVES I CAN'T BE SEXIST

Was totally joking with that comment, I know you weren't comparing them.

I'm not interested in defending wojt, by the way - I'm trying to defend the notion that Rey's abilities are questionable and it's not because she's a woman. She shouldn't have been able to mind trick Daniel Craig despite it being an amusing scene. And I think you can compare Ripley's struggle to overcome a more powerful opponent through cunning to Rey's ability to overcome supposedly stronger, trained opponents through a connection to the force she doesn't even know she has.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**