or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 138

post #2056 of 2848
Star Wars has camp embedded in its DNA. If you look at the movies Lucas borrowed from, one should be prepared for an adventure story. I enjoyed trade disputes, federations, and the like, because you can't always have whipped cream.

I like the new movie because they let us see the Sith early on. No waiting around. The Dark Side is always more interesting and compelling from a movie watching perspective.

Solo, the Milennium Falcon, fat guys in X wing fighters . . . that was done to calm down the first generation kids. Now that everyone is comfortable, I hope we get to see some new stuff. And I want Sith who can beat a first-timer girl in the snowy forest, even when injured. That was a disappointment. Luke would never have defeated Vader in the first movie.
post #2057 of 2848
Thread Starter 
I don't think anyone's made the claim it's the best movie ever or even close to perfect filmmaking. I know I certainly have not. I wouldn't go so far as to call your phrasing a strawman, but I think it's close to being so.

The film has many flaws. I've made complaints about issues I had with it and pointed out things I didn't like in the history of this thread. My opinion is that the film's inherent goodness outweighs these flaws and made for an overall enjoyable experience. I wouldn't even put it above any of the OT films, but it accomplished what it needed to do. Be an enjoyable film that re-introduces the franchise to a new generation and makes us hopeful for the future of the franchise again.

I do consider you one of the good posters on this board Lawyerdad and appreciate your contributions. So let's just drop this back and forth and move on. I'm hopeful some Ep 8 news will start hitting soon. biggrin.gif
post #2058 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Star Wars has camp embedded in its DNA. If you look at the movies Lucas borrowed from, one should be prepared for an adventure story. I enjoyed trade disputes, federations, and the like, because you can't always have whipped cream.

I like the new movie because they let us see the Sith early on. No waiting around. The Dark Side is always more interesting and compelling from a movie watching perspective.

Solo, the Milennium Falcon, fat guys in X wing fighters . . . that was done to calm down the first generation kids. Now that everyone is comfortable, I hope we get to see some new stuff. And I want Sith who can beat a first-timer girl in the snowy forest, even when injured. That was a disappointment. Luke would never have defeated Vader in the first movie.


It's always had a lever of pop and camp to it. Lucas was heavily influenced by properties such as John Carter of Mars and Flash Gordon. It was never meant to be high art.

It reminds me of when the latest John Carter of Mars film hit and people complained that it was ripped off the prequels when in fact Carter was the genesis for these types of stories and will be for decades to come.
post #2059 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Small quote from John Boyega on Ep 8.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/11/john-boyega-says-episode-viii-is-darker-with-finn-getting-a-more-physical-role/

Most intriguing to me is Kasdan's comments that Ep 8 will “some weird thing." Considering who's directing the film I wouldn't be surprised if this movie feels vastly different then TFA did.
post #2060 of 2848
Hmm, "much darker." You mean like . . . The Empire Strikes Back? peepwall[1].gif
post #2061 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Small quote from John Boyega on Ep 8.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/11/john-boyega-says-episode-viii-is-darker-with-finn-getting-a-more-physical-role/

Most intriguing to me is Kasdan's comments that Ep 8 will “some weird thing." Considering who's directing the film I wouldn't be surprised if this movie feels vastly different then TFA did.

I like it. supports my assumption that TFA is deliberately nostalgia-heavy to basically serve as a Listerine for the Prequel trilogy.
post #2062 of 2848
Speaking of Finn, what kind of slice to the back knocks you out cold but doesn't kill you?

I guess that's a little nit pick for this movie.
post #2063 of 2848
Quote:
The official shortlist to play a young Han Solo in Disney's prequel Star Wars film includes:

Miles Teller
Ansel Elgort
Dave Franco
Jack Reynor
Scott Eastwood
Logan Lerman
Emory Cohen
Blake Jenner
post #2064 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I like it. supports my assumption that TFA is deliberately nostalgia-heavy to basically serve as a Listerine for the Prequel trilogy.


Well sure. JJ won't publicly badmouth the prequels but he's said in several interviews that the nostalgia and re-using basic plot structure was done with purpose. To reconnect with fans of the OT and bring them back to the fold.

As I keep saying, now that they got this introduction/re-introduction out of the way they will feel much more free to do completely new things.
post #2065 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post






uhoh.gif
post #2066 of 2848
Not legit until they give him the chin scar.
post #2067 of 2848
post #2068 of 2848
Thread Starter 
They should let JJ help out with the casting. Say what you will about his ST films, he nailed the re-casting of the characters.
post #2069 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Speaking of Finn, what kind of slice to the back knocks you out cold but doesn't kill you?

I guess that's a little nit pick for this movie.

He took a slice to the spine. He will be paralyzed. His character will survive, but he will wheel around like the first Davros of Doctor Who fame.
post #2070 of 2848
Thread Starter 
I wish it had ended with him being put in one of those medical tanks like they had in ESB. Would have been a cool scene and call back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**