or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 131

post #1951 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Well, you guys are doing a pretty good job of convincing me that I need to go back and watch it at some point Like I said, I'm not sure I've seen it since the original theatrical release.

The original movies make for a fun weekend of binge watching. Same with the original Indiana Jones movies.
post #1952 of 2848
There is a difference between a cliffhanger and something that doesn't make sense without further explanation in a future movie.
post #1953 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Try and download the despecialized editions of the films if you can. There is one for ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713
post #1954 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

There is a difference between a cliffhanger and something that doesn't make sense without further explanation in a future movie.

Did Leia being able to tap into the Force all of a sudden at the end of ESB make sense without finding out she was Luke's sister in ROTJ? Did the revelation that Vader was Luke's father make much sense either? Both had to be explained in the next film.
post #1955 of 2848
JR. Can you give me simple, easy to follow directions on how to get the de-specialized editions. Preferably with short words.
I have tried reading them on various websites, but I've got arthritis. Ain't nobody got time for that.
post #1956 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Did Leia being able to tap into the Force all of a sudden at the end of ESB make sense without finding out she was Luke's sister in ROTJ? Did the revelation that Vader was Luke's father make much sense either? Both had to be explained in the next film.

FWIW, Leia and Luke being sisters is hinted at with the exchange - "That boy is our last hope." "No, there is another."

Which, now thinking about it, makes no sense in light of Obi-Wan being there present for the birth of the twins at the end of EpIII.
post #1957 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

JR. Can you give me simple, easy to follow directions on how to get the de-specialized editions. Preferably with short words.
I have tried reading them on various websites, but I've got arthritis. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The link I posted has instructions. If you are still having problems I will send you a PM later with more direct links.
post #1958 of 2848
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

FWIW, Leia and Luke being sisters is hinted at with the exchange - "That boy is our last hope." "No, there is another."

Which, now thinking about it, makes no sense in light of Obi-Wan being there present for the birth of the twins at the end of EpIII.

It sure would have been nice is Obi-Wan had warned look that kissing the princess he was trying to rescue might not be the best of ideas... uhoh.gif
post #1959 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Did Leia being able to tap into the Force all of a sudden at the end of ESB make sense without finding out she was Luke's sister in ROTJ?
Yes. Luke, who we know is powerful in the force called out to her. We didn't need to know anything else.
Quote:
Did the revelation that Vader was Luke's father make much sense either? . . .
Yes. It was explicit exposition. They told us.

I TFA we know Rey is somehow force sensitive because of the musical cue in the fight scene at the end, but it is never explained, nor does the movie explain how, earlier, she just knew how to do Jedi mind tricks or use telekenesis to steal a lightsaber from another powerful force user.
post #1960 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

The link I posted has instructions. If you are still having problems I will send you a PM later with more direct links.
Thanks.
post #1961 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Yes. Luke, who we know is powerful in the force called out to her. We didn't need to know anything else.
Yes. It was explicit exposition. They told us.

I TFA we know Rey is somehow force sensitive because of the musical cue in the fight scene at the end, but it is never explained, nor does the movie explain how, earlier, she just knew how to do Jedi mind tricks or use telekenesis to steal a lightsaber from another powerful force user.

I did take from her at first unsuccessful effort to compel the stormtrooper guarding her to let her escape that she was at the very least steeped in stories (if not some exposure to directed training) of how Jedi, and Obi-wan in particular, had been able to use the force. To me that seemed not just a winking reference for the audience's sake to "these are not the droids you're looking for", but an indication that she knows either that specific story or the general idea.
post #1962 of 2848
Like you probably know what a computer does...now go build one from scratch.
post #1963 of 2848
FWIW @Jr Mouse, I'd appreciate a dumbed down, hyperlink-friendly description how to get the Despecialized stuff too
post #1964 of 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I know we will disagree, but I felt this movie also stood very well on it's own and provided a satisfying experience. They don't fully explain Rey, but ANH didn't explain how Luke just happened to be powerful in the force either. He blew up the deathstar with it afterall. A one in a million shot. The big difference is this film has the main character using the force more than did in that film.

Luke spends half the movie talking about what a great pilot he is. He plays with a model of some sort of plane, and if you pay attention, you can see a full-sized one parked in a garage behind him. And everyone goes on about how his dad was a pilot, suggesting that he has natural ability.

Then when he's on the way to Alderan, Kenobi teaches him how to use the force to help him aim at things.

At the briefing before the attack on the death star, Luke is the one who seems to think it's doable since he's been...shooting large animals for fun... back at home. And it's not like it's even that difficult to imagine him doing it since he's just trying to hit a target that's more than six feet across.

Just sayin'.

ETA: compare that to this stupid movie, where Poe (while in the middle of a dogfight where he downs about a dozen enemies over as many seconds) is able to shoot a person with his x-wing, without hitting another person standing right next to him.
post #1965 of 2848
Thread Starter 
What to search for is listed here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub

You can figure out the best places to search. Each movie has it's own file. Make sure you download the latest versions as they occasionally tweak them. If you still have issues send me a PM and I will help you this weekend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**