Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!** - Page 92

post #1366 of 3019
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

Shouldn't it have been a shock that there was someone resisting armed with a lightsabre in that scene? Where did this weapon come from that can take on a lightsabre, and why did that one stormtrooper uniquely have one?

Kylo's goal was to hunt down Luke Skywalker. Why is it a leap to believe they may equip some of his men with weapons that could repel a light saber blade? I didn't find that hard to believe at all.

You only saw one. No reason to believe he was the only one.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 12/23/15 at 2:59am
post #1367 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Kylo's goal was to hunt down Luke Skywalker. Why is it a leap to believe they may equip some of his men with weapons that could repel a light saber blade? I didn't find that hard to believe at all.

You only saw one. No reason to believe he was the one one.

It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.
post #1368 of 3019
It's expensive? It's heavy to carry? It's super specialized and there aren't many people fighting with lightsabers anymore?

Why didn't every grunt in WWII carry a bazooka?
post #1369 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

It's expensive? It's heavy to carry? It's super specialized and there aren't many people fighting with lightsabers anymore?

Why didn't every grunt in WWII carry a bazooka?

Okay, but if you watch 13 hours of WWII movies, you will probably see more than one bazooka used once.

New weaponry is fun to watch, I just think it could have been better justified and contextualized. As I mentioned, a primary issue for me was that the basic premise of this weapon wasn't even possible in the universe until now as far as I know, and it's not really treated as if it's anything remarkable.
post #1370 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.

I know people want to forget the prequels, but there were several droids in General Grievous' army in ROTS armed with a weapon that could take on a lightsaber.
post #1371 of 3019

Did Chewbacca have his tips down?

 

lefty

post #1372 of 3019

the girl is an awful awful actress

 

i hope the emporer  soap dude is actually teeny tiny and just projected big (hopefully with a requisite squeeky voice)

 

can't wait to see how big the next death maxi mega fuck off star is, if it's even bigger there'll be no way there is a weakness which a small rag tag band of fighters can exploit

 

that film was fucking gash, a complete load of old forrest gump, particular favourite bits were the fit of pique beat up a death star console with my light sabre 'cos I'm ruddy jolly well cross

post #1373 of 3019
lol wut
post #1374 of 3019
There's a fan theory out there that says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis, former master of Palpatine. It would make things more interesting I guess.
post #1375 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post


It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.

A force pike could repel it,no?

post #1376 of 3019
It's specialized, so no wonder why only Kylo Ren's close affiliates use them. Magna guards who used to protected CIS high ups also used staffs that could repel light saber strikes- it was even shown in the movies. So no big deal here.
post #1377 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

It's specialized, so no wonder why only Kylo Ren's close affiliates use them. Magna guards who used to protected CIS high ups also used staffs that could repel light saber strikes- it was even shown in the movies. So no big deal here.

So Royal guards with force pikes can handle Darth Vader?

post #1378 of 3019
Thread Starter 
In a fictional universe with light sabers the hard thing to suspend your belief for is someone designing a weapon that could repel light sabers. Riiight.

This just seems like such a minor thing to get hung up on. How/why does this specific weapon exist and that one storm trooper just happens to be carrying one? Because it looked cool and made for a memorable scene. Not that far off from the reason Lucas invented the concept of the light saber in the first place. wink.gif

At some point you need to just take a step back and ask yourself.


post #1379 of 3019
Thread Starter 
It reminds me of the Thrawn trilogy. Out of no where the books introduced little space caterpillars that could repel the force in a small area around them. No one had seen those before, but they added a new challenge for the hero and thus were part of what made the books an entertaining story arc.
post #1380 of 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

There's a fan theory out there that says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis, former master of Palpatine. It would make things more interesting I guess.

 

I could be wrong, because I'm not that well acquainted with Star Wars, but didn't Palpatine tell a story to someone (Anakin, perhaps) about how an apprentice (Palpatine, in other words) had killed his master (Darth Plagueis)? 

 

That being the case, it would make it rather unlikely that Snoke is Plagueis. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!**