or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can Suit Shoulder Width Be Reduced Through Alterations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can Suit Shoulder Width Be Reduced Through Alterations?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I was wondering if a suit jacket shoulder width was a bit too wide on someone, could it be altered and reduced? Let's say, something reasonable like about 1" at most? Most tailors will say no but I think some tailors have done it for others.

Does someone know if it's possible?
post #2 of 19
From what I knew, only the sleeve head could be adjust to compensate the bad fit.
post #3 of 19
100% yes it can be done its a fairly common alteration.
post #4 of 19

Yeah it can - I've had shoulders brought in before - worked really well though it wasn't a cheap alteration

post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick007 View Post

Hey guys,
I was wondering if a suit jacket shoulder width was a bit too wide on someone, could it be altered and reduced? Let's say, something reasonable like about 1" at most? Most tailors will say no but I think some tailors have done it for others.
Does someone know if it's possible?

Yes. My tailor can do it with alacrity.
Never did it for me, but reduced/eliminated padding in
several of my suits/jackets. Downside: He's in Menlo
Park CA- 30 miles south of San Francisco. His name is:

Bob Stancovic
650- 323-9614
post #6 of 19
It can be done - but make sure the tailor who does it is competent, as it's one of the more complex tasks - also it can get expensive, so get a quote.
post #7 of 19

Sure!

post #8 of 19

It can be done but considered a 'major operation' and relatively expensive. My suggestion is to find a real tailor to do it and not simply an alterations place. 

post #9 of 19

I believe it can the width can be reduced but you have to take it to your tailor so he can gauge the fabric.

post #10 of 19

It is possible to alter a suit shoulder according to your size and be fit in what you wearing on.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow View Post

It can be done - but make sure the tailor who does it is competent, as it's one of the more complex tasks - also it can get expensive, so get a quote.


This.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAppleseed View Post

It can be done but considered a 'major operation' and relatively expensive. My suggestion is to find a real tailor to do it and not simply an alterations place. 
Agreed. It is possible but is certainly not something you should trust to anyone other than an actual tailor.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
How much is the average price?
post #14 of 19
I recently had a few done for $250 each - but I probably paid a premium for my tailor - don't cheap out on this, if someone messes up the suit is garbage.
post #15 of 19

Got several done for ~$70 per jacket.  SF Bay Area.

 

Not at the neighborhood dry cleaner type of joint.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can Suit Shoulder Width Be Reduced Through Alterations?