or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › College transfers and social life (transferring colleges late here)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

College transfers and social life (transferring colleges late here)? - Page 4

post #46 of 52

If you are as outgoing of a person as you say you are, you shouldn't be stressing out about partying (especially at a SEC party school). If you have a campus or live in a college town, you will be interacting with college kids all the time. There have to be bars, so you can meet people there. There are probably a lot of organizations, so you can meet people there. You might even get a part-time job with other college kids.

 

You've already made your decision to transfer and you either 1) make the most of it and meet people so you can be social or 2) you don't and you stay in your apartment all day.

 

What exactly is the problem?

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Shard View Post

A lot has to do with me being hungry, seeing college as the last time to have anything like this, and being sheltered throughout most of my life.

 

I want my final two years of college (will be spending 2 years) to really mean something.

Actually, that first sentence has pretty much the answer. 

 

Food. I'm serious. No matter what we do in life or what we study, we have to eat. So, if all else fails meet people for lunch, dinner etc. Organize a Pizza night, or a BBQ(in the summer) what ever get's people together. Once everyone is happy, eating food, it's very easy to connect to them. Especially if you're the boss of the event

post #48 of 52
I went from a big school where I had a lot of friends and partied every weekend, to a big school where I had no friends, made a bunch early on, but lost touch with them when I got into a relationship. Such is life.

People don't really run in "defined" circles, it's certainly not hard to make a bunch of friends if you make an effort to.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Shard View Post

I say this in the kindest tone, do so leave this thread as you have little to contribute and some of your remarks have come off as ignorant. My goal is to seek decent perspective and advice, you haven't offered either. I highly prefer Americans exclusively post on my threads since a lot of European users have little idea of life here in the US socially, I have visited and lived in Europe before so I know. Now Hunsder, if you want to continue to be insulting then that would be bad but no one is stopping you, I am just asking.

Now I address others on here who have actually helped me and made decent posts in many of my threads.

It's a public forum and I have offered legitimate advice and contributed in a positive manner.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

These have all been said, but I agree with them....
- Join clubs/organizations
- Involve yourself in class/study groups
- Make conversations with your fellow students
From my own experience, it's actually easier to meet people in smaller classes than large lectures. You get to know the others in the room and talk to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

To address your first issue, yes, of course it's easier to make friends in a bigger university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I didn't say that it was easier on a big campus. What I implied was that it's easier to initiate contact within smaller classes. I stand by that fact. It's easier to get to know classmates when there are a total of 20-30 students in a class as opposed to 500.

However, I will refrain from posting in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Shard View Post

Hansder I do not see what you have to offer to this conversation and what help you can be.

If you had asked, I could have told you my personal experience transferring as the "new guy (older)" in a large, 40,000 student +, American university. I could have also given you an insight on what it's like moving to a new city after university and the challenges faced (and overcome) with meeting friends without the comfort of a large student population eager to meet one another.

Nationality aside, most people, including myself, have given you some great leads on meeting people and making friends. The idea is to surround yourself with as many people possible and get to know them. You'll be confronted with having known no one at the university for the first couple of years, however people in a university setting are often up for meeting new people/friends. The fact that you spent your first couple of years at a different university will make little difference in bringing a girl home or, at the very least, buying her a drink and starting a conversation (both of which I recommend).

If you'd like to argue further or if you have legitimate questions concerning your two threads and would like my advice, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your new university.
post #50 of 52
I transferred after 2 years. The combination of living off campus in a studio apartment and being a transfer meant that I didn't have a huge circle of friends. But I was OK with that...still had a smallish group of people I hung out with. It was actually better off that way, because I spent a hell of a lot more time on schoolwork than I did my first two years. Definitely changed me for the better.
post #51 of 52
Thread Starter 

A coop?

post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Shard View Post

A coop?

Housing cooperatives. ICC and College Houses are two coops. Basically coed houses where everyone shares in the work. It's a mecca for sexually liberated college women. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › College transfers and social life (transferring colleges late here)?