Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:02 am in Classic Menswear
- Are these suits worth $500? Last post on 6/16/16 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Last Drop! SF APPROVED Zegna SC - Patch Pocket Soft Unstructured Green Plaid - 46 R Last post on 12/4/11 at 6:09pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DROP$ 5/16:Stewart $210, Brioni $285, Zegna, 1 Cash, Valentino Trench 52/42 Last post on 5/16/11 at 12:21pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Looking for Navy Overcoatpost #1 of 1810/28/12 at 9:27amThread Starterpost #2 of 1810/28/12 at 9:54am
I ran into exactly the same problem over the past couple of years.
You'd think it would be everywhere. And actually, it is. But getting exactly the right one, in terms of material, style/length, cut and cost was a much, much harder task.
I found eventually found a classically-styled but trimly-fitting one at Zegna, in one of their diffusion lines (I think Z Zegna). Mine is cashmere, but they also do a wool (or blend?) version, which would be harder wearing (and cheaper), but the cashmere one was slightly nicer in terms of the cut/fit. Overpaid a bit, but at least I have it now.
My advice is simply to try on every one you find in all the major retailers until you find one that's just right for you.post #3 of 1810/28/12 at 10:40amI'm having the exact same problem. I am looking for a good
navy double breasted overcoat that is sized to wear over a suit with a similar price
range. I was counting on Howard Yount's line, but it looks
like Jamison's overseas supplier is problematic and they may not come after all. So now I'm back at square one.
One option I have that may work for you is O'Connell's. I'm considering their navy DB (http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/popup.php?cPath=http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/images/products/1251152809.jpg) which is right at $1000. I hear good things about their quality but I will admit I am concerned it will be rather old-mannish compared to the stylish but not obnxious middle ground that HY occupies. The HY one was even going to have a twill texture which I was excited about. I live in Columbus OH which has limited options for retail try-on... If anyone has suggestions my ears are open!post #4 of 1810/28/12 at 10:58amThread Starterpost #5 of 1810/28/12 at 1:48pmhttp://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksStorm-Long-Town-Coat/010L,default,pd.html?dwvar_010L_Color=BLCK&contentpos=15
Comes in full or 3/4 length (and yes, in navy). I always recommend these and with good reason. First, you can get them during the post-christmas sale for 30%+15% off or 40%+15% off, meaning they will be at most ~$590 and $535 respectively. Second, they are excellently made and the Loro Piana Storm System wool is (in my opinion) the best material for overcoats. It is warm and holds up against the elements extremely well.post #6 of 1810/28/12 at 2:09pmpost #7 of 1810/28/12 at 2:36pmpost #8 of 1810/28/12 at 3:24pmpost #9 of 1810/28/12 at 3:43pmThread StarterQuote:
It's beyond my price range but I like it. I didn't see these in any size on Brooks' site. How recently did you purchase?post #10 of 1810/28/12 at 3:57pmQuote:
You said that you are willing to spend up to $1,000. How is $665 beyond your price range?
I just picked it up yesterday--placed the order about a week ago. It is in the Black Fleece sale section of the BB website.post #11 of 1810/28/12 at 5:14pmThread StarterQuote:
Saw $1900 and $665, so wasn't sure. Thanks.post #12 of 1810/28/12 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #13 of 1810/28/12 at 7:29pmQuote:
You need to learn how to navigate BB website. Black Fleece has their own section.
The coat is still showing but I don't know if you can find one in stock.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Double-Breasted-Cashmere-Trench-Coat/66AL,default,pd.html?dwvar_66AL_Color=CHAR&contentpos=117post #14 of 1810/28/12 at 10:06pmQuote:
Agh- I didn't think of that! They are all out of my size (38s)...
Maybe in store though. I will be in Chicago in about two weeks so I'll try and drop by their store then.
That may do me well until I can have one made up by Chan, maybe next year.post #15 of 1810/28/12 at 10:31pm
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 25 seconds ago
- › Cigars 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 15 minutes ago
- › Most comfortable & stylish shoes you ever owned 18 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 25 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 29 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 30 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 40 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding