Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:40 am in Classic Menswear
- Are these suits worth $500? Last post on 9/26/12 at 1:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Last Drop! SF APPROVED Zegna SC - Patch Pocket Soft Unstructured Green Plaid - 46 R Last post on 12/4/11 at 6:09pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DROP$ 5/16:Stewart $210, Brioni $285, Zegna, 1 Cash, Valentino Trench 52/42 Last post on 5/16/11 at 12:21pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Looking for Navy Overcoatpost #1 of 1810/28/12 at 9:27amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1810/28/12 at 9:54am
I ran into exactly the same problem over the past couple of years.
You'd think it would be everywhere. And actually, it is. But getting exactly the right one, in terms of material, style/length, cut and cost was a much, much harder task.
I found eventually found a classically-styled but trimly-fitting one at Zegna, in one of their diffusion lines (I think Z Zegna). Mine is cashmere, but they also do a wool (or blend?) version, which would be harder wearing (and cheaper), but the cashmere one was slightly nicer in terms of the cut/fit. Overpaid a bit, but at least I have it now.
My advice is simply to try on every one you find in all the major retailers until you find one that's just right for you.post #3 of 1810/28/12 at 10:40amI'm having the exact same problem. I am looking for a good
navy double breasted overcoat that is sized to wear over a suit with a similar price
range. I was counting on Howard Yount's line, but it looks
like Jamison's overseas supplier is problematic and they may not come after all. So now I'm back at square one.
One option I have that may work for you is O'Connell's. I'm considering their navy DB (http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/popup.php?cPath=http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/images/products/1251152809.jpg) which is right at $1000. I hear good things about their quality but I will admit I am concerned it will be rather old-mannish compared to the stylish but not obnxious middle ground that HY occupies. The HY one was even going to have a twill texture which I was excited about. I live in Columbus OH which has limited options for retail try-on... If anyone has suggestions my ears are open!post #4 of 1810/28/12 at 10:58amThread Starterpost #5 of 1810/28/12 at 1:48pmhttp://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksStorm-Long-Town-Coat/010L,default,pd.html?dwvar_010L_Color=BLCK&contentpos=15
Comes in full or 3/4 length (and yes, in navy). I always recommend these and with good reason. First, you can get them during the post-christmas sale for 30%+15% off or 40%+15% off, meaning they will be at most ~$590 and $535 respectively. Second, they are excellently made and the Loro Piana Storm System wool is (in my opinion) the best material for overcoats. It is warm and holds up against the elements extremely well.post #6 of 1810/28/12 at 2:09pmpost #7 of 1810/28/12 at 2:36pmpost #8 of 1810/28/12 at 3:24pmpost #9 of 1810/28/12 at 3:43pmThread StarterQuote:
It's beyond my price range but I like it. I didn't see these in any size on Brooks' site. How recently did you purchase?post #10 of 1810/28/12 at 3:57pmQuote:
You said that you are willing to spend up to $1,000. How is $665 beyond your price range?
I just picked it up yesterday--placed the order about a week ago. It is in the Black Fleece sale section of the BB website.post #11 of 1810/28/12 at 5:14pmThread StarterQuote:
Saw $1900 and $665, so wasn't sure. Thanks.post #12 of 1810/28/12 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #13 of 1810/28/12 at 7:29pmQuote:
You need to learn how to navigate BB website. Black Fleece has their own section.
The coat is still showing but I don't know if you can find one in stock.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Double-Breasted-Cashmere-Trench-Coat/66AL,default,pd.html?dwvar_66AL_Color=CHAR&contentpos=117post #14 of 1810/28/12 at 10:06pmQuote:
Agh- I didn't think of that! They are all out of my size (38s)...
Maybe in store though. I will be in Chicago in about two weeks so I'll try and drop by their store then.
That may do me well until I can have one made up by Chan, maybe next year.
- Looking for Navy Overcoat
- The Current State of Americana
- › Mod to Suedehead 3 seconds ago
- › Management Consulting Discussion 1 minute ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Unipair - Gentlemen's Shoe Boutique - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 9 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 12 minutes ago
- › WTB Alden Indy 405 - 7.5 14 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 23 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...