Thanks all. Can anyone speak to the quality of the shoes from Suit Supply? There's not much detail in the item description online.
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- Alfred Sargent for Herring Last post on 3/19/15 at 4:52am in Classic Menswear
- Evaluating Owens - November 3, 2014 Last post on 11/3/14 at 7:06pm in Classic Menswear
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of October 12 Last post on 10/12/14 at 3:33pm in Classic Menswear
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of October 5 Last post on 10/5/14 at 10:27am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
Last edited: 3/9/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Double Monk Straps - Page 2post #16 of 3110/28/12 at 4:29amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 3110/28/12 at 7:20ampost #18 of 3110/28/12 at 10:08ampost #19 of 3111/27/12 at 9:04pmpost #20 of 3111/27/12 at 9:59pmpost #21 of 3111/27/12 at 10:15pmTestoni for $312 ($695 retail)
Mezlan on sale @$178
Edited by mr monty - 11/27/12 at 11:13pmpost #22 of 319/1/14 at 2:22pmpost #23 of 3110/29/14 at 7:15am
Adding some of my Toronto specific experience in case anyone happens on this thread via search.
Basically, Toronto is a wasteland for men's shoes. Seems like quality shoes are not a priority for the men of Toronto. Most guys in my circles (this is all the way up to board members at the big five and partners at the big four) either buy the cheap, rubber soled wares of Aldo/Browns/Town Shoes, or, if splurging, are happy to spend north of $500 for the typical Prada, Gucci, Ferragamo crap.
Holt, Harry and David's have done nothing to educate the men of Toronto on this. Instead they sell cheap shoes with brand names and crap construction ... likely for the high margins. This is a generalization, but mostly true.
So where to buy quality shoes in Toronto?
- Loding has two stores in TO (one on Avenue, one in the Path at First Canadian Place)
- Sydney's and Gravity Pope on Queen sell Grenson (decent for price, especially on sale)
- I don't mind the Varvatos shoes that are welted and made in italy if you can get them on sale (Gravity Pope, Holt)
- Alden and Allen Edmonds can be found most places (Rego, Harry, etc)
Mid Range ($500 - $1000)
- Leatherfoot sells Carmina
- Garrison bespoke also sells Carmina
- Nasser Vies does bespoke for under a grand I believe
- Robert Jones in the Path (RBC) sells Edward Green, John Lobb and Santoni's Goodyear line
- Leatherfoot in Yorkville carries Saint Crispin's, John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, and Rider Boots ... bonus is they carry a good selection of Saphir shoecare products
- I believe Via Cavour carries Scarpe Di Bianco (LOVE Di Bianco shoes but they seem harder and harder to come by)
- V Yorkville has some gorgeous shoes (I can't remember makes off hand ... I know they carry Santoni among others)
OP - probably too late for you. My advice (assuming you want to try the shoes on in person and buy local) would be to go for Loding if on a budget. But I'd encourage you to stretch your budget and aim for Carmina's. Best value in shoes, IMHO.
Hope this helps! Would love to hear from other's in the Big Smoke and their experiences finding quality shoes.post #24 of 3110/29/14 at 8:23ampost #25 of 3110/29/14 at 10:18am
A few other thoughts that came to me at lunch.
- Brooks Brothers has decent shoes if you can get behind the conservative styling (AE and Edward Green - so mid and luxe priced)
- J.Crew have an Alfred Sargent collab I believe
- Gravity Pope also carries Church's (not my cup of joe)
- If Common Projects trainers (LOVE) are of interest, they can be had at Nomad (Queen W) or Gravity Pope (GP has more selection and availability)post #26 of 3110/29/14 at 11:04ampost #27 of 3110/29/14 at 12:08pmQuote:
Agree. Any shoes I've bought locally were deeply discounted.
I have a list of what fits me RTW by makes and lasts - I update this list as often as I try shoes on in my travels. Using this info, I generally order online ... in fact, before anyone was selling Carmina locally I ordered from the Armoury sight unseen. Had to trade 2 pairs to get the size right but even then, said and done it was worth it.post #28 of 3110/29/14 at 12:16pmpost #29 of 3110/29/14 at 12:17pmpost #30 of 3110/29/14 at 4:17pm
I don't know that we can call Toronto a wasteland for shoes any more when we can now get locally:
Gaziano and Girling
Back when all you had was Prada and Ferragamo if you wanted to step up from AE - yes - wasteland - no question. And if we are talking about what business professionals are actually wearing day to day in the core of the city - yes, wasteland there too.
- Double Monk Straps
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 26 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 30 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 31 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 49 seconds ago
- › Things you just don't get 56 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 15 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...