or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Universal Works FW12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Universal Works FW12

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Maybe a little late, but It's about time this collection gets its own thread.

http://www.universalworks.co.uk
http://universalworks.jp/

From the UK site's "About Us" section:

"A clothing brand with soul will always reflect the personality and style of the founder and, I guess, this is true of our brand at Universal Works.



In late 2008 Universal Works was born, with the Autumn Winter 2009 our first collection. My work life reads like a description of the company's DNA – an early career in the Midlands, firstly as a sign writer, actually painting lettering before it all went vinyl, then in the local coal mine which, brought an understanding of real work wear, then, through fourteen years at Paul Smith, an elegant English sartorial element was added. A further five years at Maharishi brought my love of street wear into the mix.

Universal Works aims to mix the great British clothing heritage with a modern, more international feel – wearable; sustainable and affordable; clothes that reflect the personality of the owner; real honest menswear that defies the trends and whims of fashion. The ideas come from a humble blue-collar background but one that knows how to dress well and live well.

We want a brand that offers great fit and great quality at a fair price; a collection that can be stylish in an understated yet confident way; a collection about great shapes, great utility and great design, but never about overdesign. I want it to be universal in its appeal and easy enough to work for men in everyday settings at work and play.

While the move to mass production in the fashion industry has meant low priced, yet standardised, but often, good quality product, somewhere along the way it lost its soul. I want to craft clothes with love and soul and care.

We are an independent, small company and are happy and proud to be both. We approach all our work with passion and a sense of humour.

David Keyte – Universal Works"

ThF1ql.png
CAfOIl.png
EOwT0l.png
d7W5rl.png

The Lookbook:

4U7yUl.jpg
denpsl.jpg
kKak8l.jpg
is0cYl.jpg
ISGx0l.jpg
9MtAbl.jpg
79uQIl.jpg
i3X4Yl.jpg
oy20il.jpg
olPTkl.jpg
YvgiLl.jpg
Igkoul.jpg
qb2pEl.jpg
Mb92Zl.jpg

Very complementary to something like Engineered Garments/Post, for guys into that aesthetic.
Edited by CSCoHammers7 - 10/26/12 at 9:07am
post #2 of 8

Anyone know about this particular cardigan? Fit, value, etc? It's on sale, where the afore-referenced pic is from, but I'm not sure if it's a great value at 140.00 USD this early in a new year. Not much experience with UW 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Grape View Post



Anyone know about this particular cardigan? Fit, value, etc? It's on sale, where the afore-referenced pic is from, but I'm not sure if it's a great value at 140.00 USD this early in a new year. Not much experience with UW 

I'll (try to) be as unbiased as possible here: Personally I think UW is already very reasonably/competitively priced at retail, so whenever it goes on sale it starts to become that much harder to resist. In my experience UW fits true to size mostly, often cut on the boxier side. Construction is great IMO as well. That "Tarleton Jacket" is a staple piece from them, I wish I bought the indigo one we stocked from this season. If you like the way it looks I'd say go for it; I don't think you'd be disappointed with the details when you try it on in person. Just make sure you buy a small if you're a small, for example.
post #4 of 8
I've got a lot of Universal Works - it's competitively priced and generally good quality.

I find their sizing varies a bit, but is generally TTS - I generally take a Large in UW and the Tarleton fitted best in a Large but I could just about get away with a medium if I didn't mind it tight.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post

I've got a lot of Universal Works - it's competitively priced and generally good quality.

I find their sizing varies a bit, but is generally TTS - I generally take a Large in UW and the Tarleton fitted best in a Large but I could just about get away with a medium if I didn't mind it tight.

Thanks guys. Think I may jump on this piece. 

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7 View Post


I'll (try to) be as unbiased as possible here: Personally I think UW is already very reasonably/competitively priced at retail, so whenever it goes on sale it starts to become that much harder to resist. In my experience UW fits true to size mostly, often cut on the boxier side. Construction is great IMO as well. That "Tarleton Jacket" is a staple piece from them, I wish I bought the indigo one we stocked from this season. If you like the way it looks I'd say go for it; I don't think you'd be disappointed with the details when you try it on in person. Just make sure you buy a small if you're a small, for example.

I ended up purchasing this from the Oi Polloi shop today for the equivalent price of $57 USD before shipping. I notice they have the indigo one in most sizes for less than that same price, if you were still into it. -Best. 

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Grape View Post

I ended up purchasing this from the Oi Polloi shop today for the equivalent price of $57 USD before shipping. I notice they have the indigo one in most sizes for less than that same price, if you were still into it. -Best. 

Wow, that is a ridiculous deal... Just checked, small is sold out (In pretty much everything) ffffuuuu.gif
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7 View Post


Wow, that is a ridiculous deal... Just checked, small is sold out (In pretty much everything) ffffuuuu.gif

Sorry-when I looked earlier today I think the small was sold out at that point, too. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Universal Works FW12