or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › The Fake Hate Crimes Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fake Hate Crimes Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I would say Obama did fuck this up by injecting himself into it. The reason I think that is all the other zero tolerance things he patently ignored such as the seven year old suspended for eating his Pop Tart into the shape of a gun or the early teen that was suspended for turning in a writing assignment that was a fictional account of hunting a dinosaur with a gun. If Ahmed deserves a trip to the White House and a full ride to university so do these other kids. The only difference of course is one is a brown Muslim and the other ones are white. This is not defending the obvious over reaction of the local "adults" in Texas over Ahmed but rather pointing out Obama's glaringly obvious choices in what to champion and what to ignore.

+1

I agree with your posts more than you might think, though I sometimes post in a sardonic way.
post #212 of 552
Obama sticks up for his fellow Muslems.
post #213 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

If they thought it was a bomb, why didn't they evacuate the school or have the bomb squad blow it up?

I think it would make the story hilarious if they blew it up
post #214 of 552
Latest story out of Texas is a student was sent to "in school suspension" for wearing a shirt with the US flag.
post #215 of 552

Texas

post #216 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Latest story out of Texas is a student was sent to "in school suspension" for wearing a shirt with the US flag.

My God, which micro-aggression would this be.
post #217 of 552


School dress code requires solid t shirts . The flag business is well..... just another fake hate crime

post #218 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post


School dress code requires solid t shirts . The flag business is well..... just another fake hate crime

He had it on under his hoodie it seems and also allowances are made for college and team shirts.

Either way, trip to the White House?
post #219 of 552


Thank god for the internet otherwise maintaining this perception of persecution would be a hell of a lot of work

post #220 of 552
You would think after a few of these instances, people would learn to wait 15 minutes to collect some facts before taking sides. You also would think the POTUS would have better things to do with his time than interject into every local news story that makes the national scene (especially within a few hours of it happening).
post #221 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

This whole argument is completely beside the point. It doesn't matter if he "invented" a clock or not. He's a 14 year old kid and he was dicking around with electronics. He took something apart and put it back together, thought it was neat and decided to show it to his engineering teacher. 14 year olds aren't known for being precise with language. He wasn't trying to patent the fucking thing.

The people calling him a "genius" are overreaching, obviously, but this is more curiosity than most high school freshmen show. This should be encouraged, not criminalized.
Hurrr. facepalm.gif

There's absolutely no reason to believe he intended for anyone to think it was a bomb. He wasn't brandishing it, never referred to it as a bomb (calling it a clock repeatedly), and didn't try to place it anywhere that someone might stumble across it and be terrorized. The whole argument is completely idiotic and the only reason anyone would call it a "hoax bomb" is if anything electronic in a small box = bomb. Which is patently absurd. Wires and circuits are scary!

The backlash against this whole thing is hilarious. You guys are all morons for getting so worked up about it. At best this is zero tolerance fearmongering bullshit. Why would anyone support that?

Oh, give me a break. He made a hollywood bomb and brought it to school. I agree that it's ridiculous to suspend kids or call the cops on them for stunts like this, but this is in the same category of misapplied zero tolerance as the poptart gun kid.

If you want something to complain about, complain about the idiotic, mindless outrage machine response.
post #222 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Oh, give me a break. He made a hollywood bomb and brought it to school. I agree that it's ridiculous to suspend kids or call the cops on them for stunts like this, but this is in the same category of misapplied zero tolerance as the poptart gun kid.
Apparently poptart kid was actually suspended for a whole series of misbehavior culminating in the poptart "gun." They didn't call the cops on him at least.

I still take issue with the "Hollywood bomb" thing. If it had been planted somewhere, maybe you could take that approach. You find a case stashed in a bathroom, you're not going to have context to know what it is so a higher level of suspicion and fear might be reasonable. But every piece of hobby electronics is going to look like that. A kid carrying it around and showing it to a teacher shouldn't be suspicious. Equating it to a bomb, even a hoax bomb, is just stupid in the context it was presented here. Kids should be encouraged to make shit like this, not criminalized for it.

Quote:
If you want something to complain about, complain about the idiotic, mindless outrage machine response.

My complaint there is that people are directing the outrage machine at Islamaphobia instead of zero tolerance. Zero tolerance culture in general is horseshit and there need to be more blowups about it, make schools realize that the consequences of zero tolerance are worse than actually engaging their brains and taking some responsibility for actively making decisions.
post #223 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

A kid carrying it around and showing it to a teacher shouldn't be suspicious. Equating it to a bomb, even a hoax bomb, is just stupid in the context it was presented here.

Except, of course, that it is not unknown for Muslim kids to be suicide bombers. I'm not condoning how the adults acted post-identification of what it was, but in 2015, I don't think it's egregious to think a Muslim kid carrying a small, odd looking electronic device in a metal case might have been programmed to do something unthinkable.
post #224 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Except, of course, that it is not unknown for Muslim kids to be suicide bombers. I'm not condoning how the adults acted post-identification of what it was, but in 2015, I don't think it's egregious to think a Muslim kid carrying a small, odd looking electronic device in a metal case might have been programmed to do something unthinkable.

We've never had a Muslim suicide bomber in this country. The only Muslim bombers that I can think of at all are the Tsarnaev brothers. Richard Wright too, but that one didn't work. I don't think it justifies broad suspicion of Muslim teenagers.

I could understand and justify giving the device a second look, but it wouldn't take particularly long to establish that it was just an odd looking electronic device. Certainly the engineering teacher (who would have been reasonably well qualified to judge) saw nothing suspicious, although he predicted the response from his idiot coworkers. There was nothing in there that could possibly have served as the actual explosive part of a bomb. It was just an empty case with wires and a few circuit boards. The arrest and especially the suspension after the fact were totally unnecessary. This sort of culture of fear and zero tolerance is bad.


On the other side of things, it would take a pretty sophisticated terrorist to actually produce a "Hollywood bomb." Actual domestic terrorists are making pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs.
post #225 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Apparently poptart kid was actually suspended for a whole series of misbehavior culminating in the poptart "gun." They didn't call the cops on him at least.

If it "culminated" in the poptart gun, how bad could it have been? Not that that matters when the sanction is supposed to stand on its own no matter what the prior history. They don't say, well, Billy brought a (poptart) gun to school, but he's been good otherwise, so we'll just paddle him and get on with our lives.
Quote:
I still take issue with the "Hollywood bomb" thing. If it had been planted somewhere, maybe you could take that approach. You find a case stashed in a bathroom, you're not going to have context to know what it is so a higher level of suspicion and fear might be reasonable. But every piece of hobby electronics is going to look like that. A kid carrying it around and showing it to a teacher shouldn't be suspicious.

Perhaps you're not familiar with how bombs are sometimes deployed. See, sometimes the guy who delivers the bomb doesn't care whether he gets blowed up with it or not. Shocking, I know, but it's happened.

Anyway, even if the kid had brought a gun to school and showed it to his teacher, I agree it's not a big deal. But schools are consistently punishing kids who bring weapons or fake weapons to school, regardless of how they're used. It's stupid. I don't dispute that. But they're trying to be even-handed so the president doesn't complain that they're not applying these punishments just certain kids.
Quote:
Equating it to a bomb,

"Oh, it was just a clock in a suitcase." How can anyone have a serious conversation about this if you keep up this ridiculous BS.
Quote:
Kids should be encouraged to make shit like this, not criminalized for it.
If you like fake bombs, how do you feel about racist Halloween costumes?
Quote:
My complaint there is that people are directing the outrage machine at Islamaphobia instead of zero tolerance. Zero tolerance culture in general is horseshit and there need to be more blowups about it, make schools realize that the consequences of zero tolerance are worse than actually engaging their brains and taking some responsibility for actively making decisions.
Maybe. But by defending the outrage in this case you're contributing to the problem. The reason for "zero tolerance" is that that some people don't seem to trust the schools to administer discipline fairly. The Islamophobia line here, the constant brandishing of statistics accusing schools of being racist for disciplining black kids, etc. The administrators probably thought they were being even-handed in this case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › The Fake Hate Crimes Thread