or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ridiculous fashion trends
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ridiculous fashion trends

post #1 of 185
Thread Starter 

What are some ridiculous fashion trends you see nowadays?  The funniest one I see is guys wearing ties with jeans, it looks ridiculous.  Why would you wear a tie, something that is part of formalwear, with jeans, something that is part of casualwear?  Everytime I see a guy do that I just want to slap him lol.

post #2 of 185
I think jeans and tie can work on occasion (IE, beige jacket, light blue shirt, dark indigo jeans and navy, polka knit tie), and anyone who says otherwise is overly prissy, IMO.

Obvious ones:
  • Seeing people with 7 extra inches of trouser fabric.
  • Small, horrible-looking lapels and polyester suits, etc (you know, the young boy look).
  • Jeans (most commonly, dad-jean blue) and running shoes.

More personal ones:
  • Women with massive painted-on eyebrows (*shudders*).
  • Men with drop-crotch/carrot-shaped chinos (yes, I am getting bored of chinos in pop culture).
  • Men doing up top button on hipster shirts, that have tiny collars.
  • Any of that Rick Owens shit you see in SW&D. Worst trend ever.
post #3 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I think jeans and tie can work on occasion (IE, beige jacket, light blue shirt, dark indigo jeans and navy, polka knit tie), and anyone who says otherwise is overly prissy, IMO.
Obvious ones:
  • Seeing people with 7 extra inches of trouser fabric.
  • Small, horrible-looking lapels and polyester suits, etc (you know, the young boy look).
  • Jeans (most commonly, dad-jean blue) and running shoes.
More personal ones:
  • Women with massive painted-on eyebrows (*shudders*).
  • Men with drop-crotch/carrot-shaped chinos (yes, I am getting bored of chinos in pop culture).
  • Men doing up top button on hipster shirts, that have tiny collars.
  • Any of that Rick Owens shit you see in SW&D. Worst trend ever.


Wow really?  Ties with jeans serve no purpose and look ugly.  If someone does that why don't they wear sweatpants with a tie? 

Jeans with running shoes is bad?  I like wearing levis with air max 95s, but maybe because my style is either kind of preppy or athletic.

 

Some more ridiculous trends:

 

straight guys wearing REALLY skinny jeans, I think they were called "ex-girlfriend jeans"

straight guys wearing tight khaki shorts

people wearing sunglasses without lenses

post #4 of 185
Haha, bottom 3: word! tongue.gif

I have seen jeans/tie/jacket work many times. I think it is hard to pull off, so people just blanket rule it; that's really boring and silly, IMO. Let me find you a good example...
post #5 of 185
Works:





post #6 of 185

I have to agree with the jeans w/running shoes being a bad look.  Not just a bad look... a REALLY bad look.  Nothing preppy or athletic about it.  Running shoes go with running gear, period.

 

I'm mixed on the tie with jeans look.  Looks ok on some guys for casual wear, I don't think I could pull it off though.

 

I don't like the skin-tight skinny jeans look on guys.  Jeans should be form-fitting but also comfortable.

post #7 of 185

And it's not a recent trend necessarily, but I don't like 3+ buttons on a suit jacket.  Two buttons is enough for me.

post #8 of 185
My rule on trousers: If the thigh (and the rest of the leg, etc) is a wide as your literal thigh when sat down, they are a perfect fit. Technically, for me anyway, any wider and they are going towards too big; any tighter and they are too tight. You want, to aim for that perfect fit, and get all your trousers as close of a fit to that.
post #9 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CushyCouture View Post

  The funniest one I see is guys wearing ties with jeans, it looks ridiculous.  Why would you wear a tie, something that is part of formalwear, with jeans, something that is part of casualwear?  Everytime I see a guy do that I just want to slap him lol.

My guess is you're VERY young. My god have we gotten to the point that wearing a tie is formal wear? A tie something every school boy had to wear. Every shop clerk.
post #10 of 185

I'm against ties and jeans, but for a slightly different reason. I think most guys look ridiculous tucking a button down shirt into jeans. Most jeans have such a low rise that tucking in a shirt is tremendously awkward looking. Really skinny guys can sort of pull it off, but I see tons of not-so-skinny guys doing this, and it's really unflattering. 

post #11 of 185

post #12 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

Works:


LOL those pictures don't help your point, those guys all look like tools.

post #13 of 185
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpjumperE View Post

I have to agree with the jeans w/running shoes being a bad look.  Not just a bad look... a REALLY bad look.  Nothing preppy or athletic about it.  Running shoes go with running gear, period.

 

I'm mixed on the tie with jeans look.  Looks ok on some guys for casual wear, I don't think I could pull it off though.

 

I don't like the skin-tight skinny jeans look on guys.  Jeans should be form-fitting but also comfortable.


Well, I agree that wearing jeans with running shoes you actually frequently run in looks bad, because they look beat up.  But I like levis with a clean pair of air max 95s.  Are you against jeans with tennis shoes too?  I used to wear jeans and rod lavers in college.

post #14 of 185
See the recent sartorialist looks thread
post #15 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CushyCouture View Post


Well, I agree that wearing jeans with running shoes you actually frequently run in looks bad, because they look beat up.  But I like levis with a clean pair of air max 95s.  Are you against jeans with tennis shoes too?  I used to wear jeans and rod lavers in college.

you sure you are on the right website?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ridiculous fashion trends