or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Buying and Selling... everything.... Now designer clothes/ accessories
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling... everything.... Now designer clothes/ accessories

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

So I am brand new to this forum. 

But I have been following it for a while now.

I love it.

Anyways, I wanted to put a post out here for the buy and sellers of all items. 

You find a great deal on an item, and you buy it with the soul intent on reselling it.

My wife and I have been doing this for about a year now and it seems to be making us some serious money.

We specialize in mostly antiques, but i have recently started buying up designer suits and such for some seriously low prices.

I feel like I have stumbled upon a gold mine. haha

But being as I have never been a real fashionable guy, I have questions to ask about some of things i recently purchased.

I am going to put the link to my ebay page on here for the purpose of getting advice. This is not a shameless plug in the wrong thread... please do not think that. This is merely a man asking for some advice an direction while stepping into this new playing field.

Mainly I would like to know just two things:

1.) Are these sought after brands that I have listed.

and

2.) Are my asking prices too ridiculous.

Please be honest, but please dont rip me apart either. Like I said... I am new to this whole area of expertise and I am looking for any advice at all.

 

Here is my ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/sch/qualitygoodsresale/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

I look forward to reading any responses.

Pat

post #2 of 7
Not going to weigh in on the brands or the prices, But if you are going to seriously sell on ebay or here (or anywhere for that matter),

if you really want full value, you better
A.) Figure out how to have a lot more than 1 picture (i.e. host remotely and link in body).
B. ) Figure out how to take good pictures with good lighting.
C. ) Learn how to take very good and and correct measurements
D.) Buy a decent mannequin. and"pin" the jacket if necessary to make it fit the mannequin.
E.) Steam/press the suit before taking pictures.

First and foremost learn how to measure. I don't give a flying crap about the price or brand if it doesn't fit. If the shoulders on a jacket are more than a 1/4 of inch off my measurements I don't even consider it. Your "See tag for size" (when there is no size on the tag) and the I'm 250lbs and it fits me isn't going to get it for 99% of the people around here.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmerchant View Post

Not going to weigh in on the brands or the prices, But if you are going to seriously sell on ebay or here (or anywhere for that matter),
if you really want full value, you better
A.) Figure out how to have a lot more than 1 picture (i.e. host remotely and link in body).
B. ) Figure out how to take good pictures with good lighting.
C. ) Learn how to take very good and and correct measurements
D.) Buy a decent mannequin. and"pin" the jacket if necessary to make it fit the mannequin.
E.) Steam/press the suit before taking pictures.
First and foremost learn how to measure. I don't give a flying crap about the price or brand if it doesn't fit. If the shoulders on a jacket are more than a 1/4 of inch off my measurements I don't even consider it. Your "See tag for size" (when there is no size on the tag) and the I'm 250lbs and it fits me isn't going to get it for 99% of the people around here.

Good points. Also, the whole "I don't know much about this suit" routine basically gives the impression that I (as a customer) shouldn't pay much money for it. If you dont know much about it, study and learn what it is, and mark it accordingly. A listing and layout from a seller who appears to know his stuff will fetch more money than one who looks like he stumbled upon some suits at a thrift store and is just seeing what he can get from it.

If you know nothing about it, it's obvious you paid nothing for it... so why should I give you a substantial markup? Again, just psychology of buyer/seller.

Best of luck!
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post


Good points. Also, the whole "I don't know much about this suit" routine basically gives the impression that I (as a customer) shouldn't pay much money for it. If you dont know much about it, study and learn what it is, and mark it accordingly. A listing and layout from a seller who appears to know his stuff will fetch more money than one who looks like he stumbled upon some suits at a thrift store and is just seeing what he can get from it.
If you know nothing about it, it's obvious you paid nothing for it... so why should I give you a substantial markup? Again, just psychology of buyer/seller.
Best of luck!

Thank you to the both of you for the advice. I did some research and got the measurements down pretty pat.

I am editing the ads as I am posting this.

Pretty dumb of me to try and sell something that involves many different size measurements... without including any of the measurements.

Thanks for not ripping me apart as well hahaha.

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassActPat View Post

Thank you to the both of you for the advice. I did some research and got the measurements down pretty pat.
I am editing the ads as I am posting this.
Pretty dumb of me to try and sell something that involves many different size measurements... without including any of the measurements.
Thanks for not ripping me apart as well hahaha.

You're welcome. It's all just intended to help you make a better profit. With designer and/or luxe stuff, image is important. Think about it... why do Gucci or Louis vuitton maintain stores on madison Ave that cost millions of dollars per month in a lease? Image.

If they had a broken down store in an alleyway and, upon entering, told you "eh, I don't know much about this stuff, but here's the bag," it's doubtful they could get thousands of bucks for stuff.

Best of luck and enjoy it! even if the money isn't great, spending time with your wife scouting out interesting stores, going over the information, should be fun for both of you.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 

I am absolutely loving this. And I am finding great clothes for myself as well. 

I completely get what you are saying about "image". 

Thanks again.

post #7 of 7

It is certainly a lot of fun. I love clothes. Too bad I can no longer use ebay. One of my buddies was selling mass produced knock-offs on my account! Stay legit and keep your nose clean and you can stay around for a long time. Best of luck

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Buying and Selling... everything.... Now designer clothes/ accessories