Purchased geobaskets couple weeks back, just wondering how you guys would send some tips to clean the soles/the whole shoe!
Best way to clean Rick Owens Sneakers?
Styleforum Top Picks
There's a few things you can do to clean shoes and keep them clean for longer:
1) Get some rubbing alcohol and wipe/pat at the spots to remove them (i.e. 70% works well, 90% works really well, but either may remove the finish from your shoes depending on if they are leather or artificial vinyl/polyurethane leather).
2) Mix some baking soda and water to make a paste and scrub at the shoes with a toothbrush.
3) Get a shoe cleaner and follow instructions. There are many brands out there including Kiwi, Cadillac, Sof Sole, SKUFF etc. You can also use those bleach/stain markers for laundry - they work pretty well. SKUFF is actually a protectant that comes with towelettes for cleaning shoes, so you get two-for-the-price-of-one.
4) Wash them in a washer. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS THOUGH! Washing shoes in a washer slowly deteriorates the shoe by wearing away at the materials, fading colors, and removing antibacterial within the shoe that prevents your shoes from stinking and you from contracting athlete's foot, etc. If you want to wash them, soak them in a bucket with laundry detergent and scrub at them. Even if you soak/scrub them, you'll still have to get an antibacterial (i.e. Dr. Scholl's, etc.) to use. Either way, I don't really recommend it.
Once your shoes are clean, I recommend getting something to protect them from here on in. You got a few options:
1) Waxes/Polishes - I don't recommend. First, your shoes are probably synthetic leather and waxes aren't made for synthetic. They don't last more than a week either, and you need to keep buying and applying, costing you time and money.
2) Waterproofing/Protectant/Silicone sprays - I don't recommend either. Again, they work on synthetic, but aren't made for it, and you need to keep buying and applying for any benefit.
3) Protective finishes - I RECOMMEND SKIPPING THE OTHER TWO AND GOING WITH THIS. Protective finishes for shoes are just coming to market now, they're made specifically for synthetic and work really well on leather too, they water/stain/dirt proof your shoes permanently, can add a permanent shine (if that's your thing), protect from scuff marks and damage, and last for years off one application. I'd recommend SKUFF Protective Coatings (because they're the pioneers, offer the best product, and come with cleaning towelettes). PCA Shoe Care offers a line as well.
Hope they come out nice! Good luck!