or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dentistry Interview: Ties to match my dark blue suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dentistry Interview: Ties to match my dark blue suit?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I am currently interviewing at dental schools and just bought a new suit. It dark blue similar this (no pattern): 

 

 

 

 

I am wearing the suit with a white shirt and I am wondering what ties are 1) appropriate for an interview and 2) match the suit. I know that dark blue suits match with many colors and patterns, but I am inexperienced. The tie doesn't have to be extremely conservative, but I definitely dont want to be too loud either. Suggestions and examples are much appreciated!!

post #2 of 26

If you chose a dark blue suit and plan to wear a white shirt you have made two conservative choices so you can be more aggresive with your tie. I like a pastel orange or lavender print.

post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimebuck4 View Post

If you chose a dark blue suit and plan to wear a white shirt you have made two conservative choices so you can be more aggresive with your tie. I like a pastel orange or lavender print.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post

Hi,

I am currently interviewing at dental schools and just bought a new suit. It dark blue similar this (no pattern): 





I am wearing the suit with a white shirt and I am wondering what ties are 1) appropriate for an interview and 2) match the suit. I know that dark blue suits match with many colors and patterns, but I am inexperienced. The tie doesn't have to be extremely conservative, but I definitely dont want to be too loud either. Suggestions and examples are much appreciated!!

You are already better dressed than the great majority of dentists. My late father was an exception.
He practiced from the 1930s throught the 1980s when most professionals wore coats and ties.
Nevertheless, he stood out among his colleagues in wearing understated conservative clothing.
Edited by comrade - 10/24/12 at 7:00pm
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 

any more suggestions?

post #5 of 26

Although difficult to say by just viewing online, I think I'd would personally have worn something like this.

 

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=23736&orderPageReturn=%2FcategoryPages%2FOrange_Ties.asp&pg=4&categoryIds=31,68&optionValueIds=

 

Good luck on your interview.

post #6 of 26
I would go the opposite of bigtimebuck and stay non-aggressive. mid or light blue, green, or purple are options. you want to stand out for your intellect, not a garish tie.

I personally would not wear a pastel orange.
post #7 of 26
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichuman View Post

there is always this:
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-should-i-wear-to-a-job-interview

I appreciate your input, however that does not help me.

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 

would any of these work?

 

 

 

 

 

How about a solid grenadine tie?

post #10 of 26
Well, you can disregard the SF 101 article but you may end up with half-assed suggestions like pastel orange or roughed up mango as evidenced above
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichuman View Post

Well, you can disregard the SF 101 article but you may end up with half-assed suggestions like pastel orange or roughed up mango as evidenced above

 

I'm not disregarding the article. It just doesn't mention anything to wear with a dark blue suit, besides that one picture with the silver tie. Are any of the above ties acceptable?

post #12 of 26
Dark green or Burgundy grenadine tie would look nice, in my opinion.
post #13 of 26
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post

would any of these work?

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

How about a solid grenadine tie?

 

Either of the top two would work; the dotted one would ideally be dark navy, not black. I wouldn't wear a tie with so much red, as it is too attention-grabbing. Solid grenadine would work, too, but I wouldn't: it is unusual enough that it could draw attention to itself, even though it would look good.

post #15 of 26
OP, the first and third from the set you posted are fine. The middle one comes across black on my screen so that would be a no-no. TM79's suggestions are fine as well and I would add that you could also try a nice brown tie like the one in the first pic you posted. This really isn't too difficult so don't overthink too much and focus on the substance of the interview. Good luck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dentistry Interview: Ties to match my dark blue suit?