or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is my coworker right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is my coworker right?

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
My organization regularly purchases tables at various charity events and has done so for one at the st. regis next week. I have been asked to attend, along with a somewhat cheap co-worker. He does not own a tuxedo and will be forced to rent one.

He told me that he would be seeking corporate reimbursement for the $150 or so that it will cost to rent the tux. I told him to hold on while I check with the experts. I think he should suck it up as going to black tie events is part of being a professional. He thinks thats bs and goes beyond the usual professional dress requirements.

What say you folks? Should he put the rental on his corporate credit card and submit for reimbursement on a T&E or should he suck it up and pay himself.

thanks all.
post #2 of 49
I would consider it grounds for dismissal. I invite employees to charity events and would be insulted if someone wanted to stick me with a tux rental. How about babysitters, cab fare, tips, etc? Why not submit that?

Hope he's really good at his job because he lacks some pretty basic social intelligence.

Rob
post #3 of 49
You are correct, he should suck it up and pay for it himself. Let the fool submit it through t&e and then see what happens when it gets rejected and they tell him to pound sand.
post #4 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

I would consider it grounds for dismissal. I invite employees to charity events and would be insulted if someone wanted to stick me with a tux rental. How about babysitters, cab fare, tips, etc? Why not submit that?
Hope he's really good at his job because he lacks some pretty basic social intelligence.
Rob

that might be a bit over the top, but in general, I agree that its silly. If we weren't taking black cars, I think he would try to submit reimbursement for the car service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lama View Post

You are correct, he should suck it up and pay for it himself. Let the fool submit it through t&e and then see what happens when it gets rejected and they tell him to pound sand.

eh, he's a good enough guy that I don't want to see him get burned.
post #5 of 49

Tell him to submit the cost of renting his date as well.

post #6 of 49
Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

Hope he's really good at his job because he lacks some pretty basic social intelligence.

^ this
post #8 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

Bullshit. The guy is absolutely right - there is no good reason to force anyone to incur a completely suprfluous expense as black tie attire (the post doesn't make it clear if it is a "black tie required event"). I would imagine that dude has a regular suit which would be appropriate for virtually any occasion. If a suit isn't enough for the boss, then they should cover his cost.

yes, its a black tie event.

That said, this is the financial services industry...in nyc...at a widely known organization...in a non-entry level role.

Black tie events are simply part of it. I'm shocked he doesn't already own a tuxedo, JAB or otherwise.
post #9 of 49
Is attending black-tie event part of the job requirements? Can he say no to attending?
post #10 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

Is attending black-tie event part of the job requirements? Can he say no to attending?

Is it stated in his job description that he must attend black tie event? no. Is it an unwritten rule? absolutely.

Can he say no? Sure, but you don't say no to these things if you want any chance of career advancement.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Is it stated in his job description that he must attend black tie event? no. Is it an unwritten rule? absolutely.
Can he say no? Sure, but you don't say no to these things if you want any chance of career advancement.

 

If he is not required to attend then there is no way he can ask for reimbursement. If he wants to advance his career then investing in black tie makes sense. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't go.

post #12 of 49
He should get two copies of the receipt, and try to get reimbursed AND try to write it off at tax time. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

That said, this is the financial services industry...in nyc...at a widely known organization...in a non-entry level role.
Black tie events are simply part of it. I'm shocked he doesn't already own a tuxedo, JAB or otherwise.

Well, in fairness to him... I have been in financial services in NYC for my whole career, I'm a partner at a reasonably sized firm, and I have never been invited to a black tie event in connection with my job. These days it's pretty easy to go your whole life without wearing a tuxedo...

Not that it means he should be reimbursed. The objective way to resolve it is to answer the following question: would the IRS would consider it a deductible business expense for the company? In this case I highly doubt it.
post #14 of 49
he should just wear his black suit brooks brothers shirt a buy a cheap bow tie
polish up his square toed rubber soled shoes.

or else go to mens warehouse or JAB and buy an inexpensive tux and shirt that he will have for these future career advancement events.
post #15 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Well, in fairness to him... I have been in financial services in NYC for my whole career, I'm a partner at a reasonably sized firm, and I have never been invited to a black tie event in connection with my job. These days it's pretty easy to go your whole life without wearing a tuxedo...
Not that it means he should be reimbursed. The objective way to resolve it is to answer the following question: would the IRS would consider it a deductible business expense for the company? In this case I highly doubt it.

hmm, thats surprising to me. We tend to go to these things a lot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is my coworker right?