or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens? - Page 7

post #91 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherBoot View Post

Do you ever run into problems using that ink in your P51s?  I find aerometric and vacumatic pens are difficult to rinse out completely. 

Some of them can dry out if I don't use them often enough. Ive never had a problem that couldn't be sorted with some rinsing out though. On the whole they write very well with minimal care though to be honest
post #92 of 105
Just found this thread! Got back into writing with fountain pens late last year and I love the few that I have in my set.

The White Knight in black Chinese lacquer and palladium is my go-to office pen:

f39dfaa00938f794eafc32f14592dc20.jpg

I adore Nakaya, and John Mottishaw's work on nibs means my Nakayas are what I reach for whenever I want a delightful personal writing experience. All my Nakayas are in Urushi lacquer, like this Ascending Dragon cigar in Aka-Tamenuri:

e381b3d4a1d96a98451842a19ec1bdca.jpg

And this Dorsal Fin v2 in Heki-Tamenuri:

c7d711b4cd0e1fa078c5e80be0e71e91.jpg

I'm a big proponent of actually using the stuff I have so I feel great writing more by hand, using these lovely pens. I use Pilot Iroshizuku ink in Kon-Peki, Asa-Gao, Shin-Ryoku and Yama-Budo for a bit of play in color.
post #93 of 105
Lovely things, the Ascending Dragon in particular

Charlie
post #94 of 105
Lovely things indeed and better for being used Frills nod[1].gif

Nothing better than a hand written note, I love to send them almost as much as writing them
post #95 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Leather View Post

Lovely things, the Ascending Dragon in particular

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. I quite love the Ascending Dragon: the dragon is painted underneath the Urushi lacquer. So as the lacquer lightens over time, based on where and how the owner uses and grips the pen, more of the dragon "ascends" and emerges. Love it! And it writes like butter on paper.

Speaking of craftsmanship, I ordered four belts from you guys several years ago and they are all going strong; part of my regular rotation during the week. 💪💪💪
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Lovely things indeed and better for being used Frills nod[1].gif

Nothing better than a hand written note, I love to send them almost as much as writing them

Love sending and writing handwritten notes too. Sometimes it's just a short line or two. Also glad to keep the US postal service busy!
post #96 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Thanks, Charlie. I quite love the Ascending Dragon: the dragon is painted underneath the Urushi lacquer. So as the lacquer lightens over time, based on where and how the owner uses and grips the pen, more of the dragon "ascends" and emerges. Love it! And it writes like butter on paper.

Speaking of craftsmanship, I ordered four belts from you guys several years ago and they are all going strong; part of my regular rotation during the week. 💪💪💪
Love sending and writing handwritten notes too. Sometimes it's just a short line or two. Also glad to keep the US postal service busy!

Thats a tremendous piece of design, beautifully thought out. I get more into Japanese design as I get older and the more I do the more I love their sense of detail.

Really pleased to hear the belts are doing well :-)

Charlie
post #97 of 105

Does anyone know the model name of this Mont Blanc pen?

 

post #98 of 105
Could it be a starwalker?
post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Could it be a starwalker?

It sure looks like it.

post #100 of 105
Looks like a starwalker but would need better pictures to see if it's real.
post #101 of 105

Late to this thread - @no frills, just wanted to comment on how splendid your Nakaya is! I'm slowly starting to be a frequent FP user (all my notes at work are done using either a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari) and slowly upgrading my pen purchases! Like watches and shoes, I find FP can become really addicting!  

 

When one wants to upgrade from the entry-level starter pens, what would be a reasonable, intelligent purchase? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 but I am more fond of the more classic aesthetic (cigar shape, black or dark burgundy, gold trim and nib, etc.). Thus, I'm drawn to the Italix Parson's Essential, but I wonder about the quality. Although it is held in high regards and finished in UK, the base pen is still chinese made. I'm not saying all chinese products are inferior, but still. Any other recommendations in the 100-200$? I also like Pilot Custom line, the smaller Pelikan (until I can afford the M1000) and Sailors!


Edited by ShawnBC - 7/18/15 at 12:17pm
post #102 of 105
I have a strong leaning towards vintage instead of modern fountain pens. You could get a decent Parker 51 in your price range.
post #103 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

Late to this thread - @no frills, just wanted to comment on how splendid your Nakaya is! I'm slowly starting to be a frequent FP user (all my notes at work are done using either a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari) and slowly upgrading my pen purchases! Like watches and shoes, I find FP can become really addicting!  

 

When one wants to upgrade from the entry-level starter pens, what would be a reasonable, intelligent purchase? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 but I am more fond of the more classic aesthetic (cigar shape, black or dark burgundy, gold trim and nib, etc.). Thus, I'm drawn to the Italix Parson's Essential, but I wonder about the quality. Although it is held in high regards and finished in UK, the base pen is still chinese made. I'm not saying all chinese products are inferior, but still. Any other recommendations in the 100-200$? I also like Pilot Custom line, the smaller Pelikan (until I can afford the M1000) and Sailors!



I am a fan of Diplomat pens. German made. Good workhorse pens. They have several rather nice models in your price range. The Traveler is sub $100 and the Excellence A is sub two bills. I have both pens.

http://www.mydiplomatpen.com/Excellence-A.aspx
post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherBoot View Post

Here are a couple that I am using today: 

Top is a Montblanc 136 with a 14C OB nib 
Bottom is a second gen OMAS Extra Lucens from the 1930s



Nice!
post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

Late to this thread - @no frills, just wanted to comment on how splendid your Nakaya is! I'm slowly starting to be a frequent FP user (all my notes at work are done using either a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari) and slowly upgrading my pen purchases! Like watches and shoes, I find FP can become really addicting!  

 

When one wants to upgrade from the entry-level starter pens, what would be a reasonable, intelligent purchase? I'm thinking Lamy 2000 but I am more fond of the more classic aesthetic (cigar shape, black or dark burgundy, gold trim and nib, etc.). Thus, I'm drawn to the Italix Parson's Essential, but I wonder about the quality. Although it is held in high regards and finished in UK, the base pen is still chinese made. I'm not saying all chinese products are inferior, but still. Any other recommendations in the 100-200$? I also like Pilot Custom line, the smaller Pelikan (until I can afford the M1000) and Sailors!

 

Late to replying to this!

 

If you're up for a $200 spend, why not get a Pro Gear from Sailor?  

 

http://www.nibs.com/sailor-pro-gear-slim-sky.htm

 

My cousin has several Nakayas (that she helped design with Mr Nakata himself) - and she says they are among the most beautiful pens she's owned.  But for her reliable daily pen, she swears by her Pro Gear II.  Says that sometimes she feels that the Sailor nib writes even more smoothly than the Nakayas (HERESY!).  :D

 

Plus John Mottishaw at CFP does fantastic work "optimizing" the nib for your writing style.  He tweaked a DuPont I had that wasn't writing as well (learned that once I had my Nakayas) and his touch was magic.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Fountain Pen and Pen Collectors Thread. Who else likes nice pens?