or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo with no waistcoast or cummerbund ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tuxedo with no waistcoast or cummerbund ?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Is this appropriate? Will be wearing a bow tie.

What about braces/suspenders? What's the consensus on braces with a tuxedo?
post #2 of 25
White braces acceptable.

If you have a waistcoat or cummerbund, wear it.
post #3 of 25
No one should see the braces, so it shouldn't matter what color. And you should wear some kind of waist covering.
post #4 of 25
Having a waist covering with a single-breasted dinner suit is tradition. This being said: most people wearing dinner suits these days skip it unfortunately (don't know why since a cummerbund is neither particularly expensive nor uncomfortable).

By the way: If you wear a cummerbund it should be of the same material (gross grain or satin) like lapel facings and bow tie.
Edited by AlexE - 10/13/12 at 12:12pm
post #5 of 25
Most people I knew, Including myself, will always wear a waistcoat (white or black low cut).
post #6 of 25
I don't view omitting the cummerbund as a particularly egregious breach of etiquette, but why would you want to?
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the replies. I wanted to go for a less traditional black tie look (if that's not an oxymoron). I think any color cummerbund other than black makes the wearer look like a waiter. As the bow tie typically matches the cummerbund, though, this would limit me to a black tie. Would a black cummerbund with a black and silver paisley bow tie be alright, even though it wouldn't match the cummerbund, strictly speaking?
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum View Post

Thank you for the replies. I wanted to go for a less traditional black tie look (if that's not an oxymoron).

It pretty much is an oxymoron. Do black tie or just wear a suit.
post #9 of 25
The tie is to be black and black alone. Hence, the black tie name.

Rob
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum View Post

Would a black cummerbund with a black and silver paisley bow tie be alright

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
post #11 of 25
A cummerbund hides a multitude of sin after a large meal and for some, even before the meal.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

A cummerbund hides a multitude of sin after a large meal and for some, even before the meal.

Is this actually the story behind wearing one?
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz View Post

Is this actually the story behind wearing one?

To my knowledge it has its origins in the adoption of tribal warrior "cummerbunds" by British military officers in South Asia. It then became part of civilian dinner suits (like other military uniform characteristics such as braided trouser seams). So I doubt that it was introduced to hide the "pot belly".
post #14 of 25
My understanding is that it was adopted in those hotter climates because it doesn't wear as hot as a waistcoat.
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post

To my knowledge it has its origins in the adoption of tribal warrior "cummerbunds" by British military officers in South Asia. It then became part of civilian dinner suits (like other military uniform characteristics such as braided trouser seams). So I doubt that it was introduced to hide the "pot belly".

I know a cummerband is native to India. Indeed the warrior tribes used it as a belt to also keep daggers etc. near the waist. But I never understood why the English "made" it such a formal item in western wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

My understanding is that it was adopted in those hotter climates because it doesn't wear as hot as a waistcoat.

Makes sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tuxedo with no waistcoast or cummerbund ?