I also have a navy suit from a year or so ago and I don't want to have a color that is too similar, so I've taken a picture that shows all four fabrics/colors:
1) The blazer made in an erroneous fabric (I actually like the color, just not the very subtle herringbone pattern)
2) Vitale Barberis Canonico Super 140s; this is said to have no luster
3) Loro Piana Super 130s, four season fabric; this is said to have luster
4) The jacket from my old navy suit
In the attached picture below, 1) is the right jacket, 2) is in the upper right swatch book, 3) is in the bottom right swatch book, and 4) is the jacket on the left.
1) is sort of irrelevant at this point because it's going back, but just throwing it in the mix for comparison. I personally am liking 3) the most because 2) and 4) look fairly similar. They both have a more purple-ish hue in my opinion, whereas 3) is more 'midnight blue' to my eyes.
What do you guys think? I'd also like to incorporate fabric quality/reputation as well. What is Loro Piana known for? How about VBC? Are they comparable? Also, a bonus question, if you will: what is the consensus on shoulder pads in jackets?
Thanks in advance!