or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What "rule" of style most needs to be thrown out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What "rule" of style most needs to be thrown out?

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 

I'll start:

Oxford-type shoes are the only suitable choice for a conservative business dress/ workplace environment.  Wrong.  I have been wearing boots with suits as a lawyer in  a big firm, more and more, over the past year.  Boots work really well with suits and are liked by the few people who notice. 

 

Other possible rules that should be thrown out:

Black suits are only for funerals.  Wrong.  I wear a black suit to work about 1 out of every 30 days. It's a nice part of the mix.

 

What other rules should be tossed?

post #2 of 42
I thought balmoral boots were always considered acceptable with suits. What kind of boots do you have?

I'm not with you on the black suits. To me, they don't look that great in the daytime, and almost always end up matched with a white shirt, coming off as pseudo-evening wear
post #3 of 42

No white after labor day. Outdated.

post #4 of 42
Has there ever been a rule about not wearing boots with suits? Do you mean like balmoral boots or Wolverine 1000 Mile boots? Because if it's the former, they are classic companions to a suit. If it's the latter, I disagree with you.

I don't know what's still considered a rule and what's already considered to have been thrown out. But I break "no suede in summer" regularly.
post #5 of 42
I'm still not a fan of black suits.
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I don't know what's still considered a rule and what's already considered to have been thrown out. But I break "no suede in summer" regularly.

I never knew this was a rule... I wear suede more in the summer, because my suede shoes are all unlined and therefore cooler.
post #7 of 42
No black suits
No tie without jacket

I'm not a fan of either, but tie with jacket is the de facto dress code for a lot of offices.
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

No black suits
No tie without jacket
I'm not a fan of either, but tie with jacket is the de facto dress code for a lot of offices.

And it looks like hell.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

No black suits
No tie without jacket
I'm not a fan of either, but tie with jacket is the de facto dress code for a lot of offices.

I assume you mean shirt + tie SANS jacket? In which case I agree with you. Looks pretty alright. Not great, but alright.
post #10 of 42

I mean no offence to the OP, but this thread is a horrible idea, in my opinion. The last thing that we need to do here is suggest MORE rules to break than we already do. As a sartorial society, I think we have strayed so far from a solid foundation of dress that now we just have every person doing what ever the hell they want. Some people may see this as an expression of individuality, but when everybody does it, you no longer look like an individual, you just look as poorly dressed as everyone else in the room.

post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

And it looks like hell.

Tie sans jacket doesn't look any worse than open collared shirt tucked into trousers. The problem lies in the fact that most men have ill-fitting shirts or sloppy frames.
post #12 of 42

As long as the tie is expensive (err...high quality) and the shirt isn't a solid, I'm already well aboard the [shirt + tie - jacket] train. (A less than great tie with a solid colored shirt = cellphone salesman)


EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post


Tie sans jacket doesn't look any worse than open collared shirt tucked into trousers. The problem lies in the fact that most men have ill-fitting shirts or sloppy frames.


Yup.  The shirt has to be fitted because there won't be a jacket to cover it up. So non-solid (though maybe OCBD would be ok) well fitting shirt with a tie well above the usual fare.

post #13 of 42
Disagree, I think the tie makes it look worse.
post #14 of 42
No Brown In Town !! Whats that all about ??
post #15 of 42
I secretly like Matchy-matchy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What "rule" of style most needs to be thrown out?