or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Grammar Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grammar Question

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Gents - have a grammar question for the literary minded members here. Writing a note for a friend - which if any are correct?

A) During this time, I have heard him be called many things.
B) During this time, I have heard him called many things.
C) During this time, I have heard him being called many things.

Thanks!
post #2 of 10
You're missing the fucking poll.

I vote B. Actually all three seem fine.
post #3 of 10
They're all grammatically correct with the possible quibble that "that time" might be more appropriate than "this time" for actions that occurred entirely in the past. The verb constructions you've chosen differ only in grammatical aspect.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Joffrey and dah - appreciate it!
post #5 of 10
B or C
post #6 of 10
They're all correct. I prefer B to A slightly, because it emphasizes the calling over the being. C has a slightly different meaning, because it emphasizes that you were there while he was being called these things.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanker565 View Post

Gents - have a grammar question for the literary minded members here. Writing a note for a friend - which if any are correct?
A) During this time, I have heard him be called many things.
B) During this time, I have heard him called many things.
C) During this time, I have heard him being called many things.
Thanks!

Can you swing by and do my laundry???
post #8 of 10
A is not correct. Proof positive that the average SF poster is only semi-literate.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Proof positive that the average SF poster is only semi-literate.


lol8[1].gif "Oh, papa Homer, you are so learnED."
"Learn'd, son. It's pronounced 'learn'd"
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

A is not correct. Proof positive that the average SF poster is only semi-literate.

yeah, what him said.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Grammar Question