or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What is the first boat shoe I should buy from Allen Edmonds?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the first boat shoe I should buy from Allen Edmonds?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello, gentlemen:

 

It seems that Park Avenue is the first Oxford people usually buy from AE.  And the same is true for McAllister among Wingtip.  How about casual boat shoe (not too casual though) that I can wear everyday and can pretty much go with everything?  Thanks!

 

Edit

 

A lot of people seem to recommend eastport, what is your take on this?

 

 


Edited by ircfas133 - 10/10/12 at 9:15pm
post #2 of 18
I have several AE dress shoes and love them. However, my "boat shoes" are Sperry Topsiders. Get Sperrys and spend your $ on AE dress shoes.
post #3 of 18
Or do what I did and find a pair of Eastports on eBay BNIB for 60 bucks!icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But yeah, Sperry's are great.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thank you for you lovely people.  Very educational!  smile.gif

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post

I have several AE dress shoes and love them. However, my "boat shoes" are Sperry Topsiders. Get Sperrys and spend your $ on AE dress shoes.

 

 

When do they usually go on sales?  Sorry, I'm a student on a budget...  Thanks!

post #6 of 18

Depends where you buy. If you get it from places like Macys, you're going to have to wait for a generic coupon. The shoes specifically don't really go on sale unless it's a shitty color since they're really popular.

post #7 of 18
I bought the Eastports.

But I also have some Sebagos that are very nice - nicer than the Sperrys I have had.

Chris
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

I bought the Eastports.
But I also have some Sebagos that are very nice - nicer than the Sperrys I have had.
Chris

 

The Sebagos brand you suggest also looks fantastic.  How's their quality?  When do they usually go on sales, if any?  Thanks a lot! 

post #9 of 18

I would recomend looking at Rancourts. A bit more than Sperry and AEs but well worth the little extra.

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

I would recomend looking at Rancourts. A bit more than Sperry and AEs but well worth the little extra.

 

They look beautiful!

post #11 of 18
I have a pair of Eastports. They are great and feature a very cushioned comfy footbed. Buy with confidence.

edit- They are also re-soleable if done through Allen Edmonds. The cushy footbeds are removeable.
Edited by MyOtherLife - 10/8/12 at 11:31pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ircfas133 View Post

The Sebagos brand you suggest also looks fantastic.  How's their quality?  When do they usually go on sales, if any?  Thanks a lot! 

I would put their quality above Sperry but below the Eastports - that's the only other brands of boat shoe I have owned. My Sebagos feel much better than my current Sperrys. My last 2 pair of Sperrys have felt flimsy and poorly constructed. The soles almost feel like they are going to fall off when they are brand new. I won't be buying any more Sperrys.

I buy my Sebagos at my local menswear / clothing store. They are always a little off suggested retail. But they run them on bigger sales periodically - usually early in the Spring when they first start coming in as a "kick off Spring" event and then they have them on sale in the Fall near the holidays.

Chris
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


I would put their quality above Sperry but below the Eastports - that's the only other brands of boat shoe I have owned. My Sebagos feel much better than my current Sperrys. My last 2 pair of Sperrys have felt flimsy and poorly constructed. The soles almost feel like they are going to fall off when they are brand new. I won't be buying any more Sperrys.
I buy my Sebagos at my local menswear / clothing store. They are always a little off suggested retail. But they run them on bigger sales periodically - usually early in the Spring when they first start coming in as a "kick off Spring" event and then they have them on sale in the Fall near the holidays.
Chris

I bought a pair of Sperrys at the beginning of the summer. I wore them probably 8 times or so, and the insole is already falling apart. I can probably continue to wear them, but I don't have much confidence they will hold up for long. They may well last me over a year, but only because I won't be wearing them for 9 months of that period.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 

A lot of people seem to like eastport by AE.  After discount it is not much more expensive than other lesser known brands suggested.  However, with the end of AE's rediscover America sales event, its price has gone back to $ 178.  Any suggestions on when would be the best time to buy in the next few months?

 

 


A lot of people seem to recommend eastport, what is your take on this?

 

 

 

post #15 of 18
I got the Allen Edmonds Harbour boat shoe. Very comfortable, better support than Sperry, and I like the blue and gold finishing.

It's on clearance currently.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What is the first boat shoe I should buy from Allen Edmonds?