- categorySweaterstagged by SYSTEM, 10/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- BROOKS BROTHERS Black Fleece Vest BB0 & BB2 Last post on Yesterday at 6:44 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Rugby RL Fisherman Knit Mock-Neck Sweater Size M Last post on Yesterday at 2:06 pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Rugby RL Button-Mock Fisherman Knit Sweater Size M Last post on Yesterday at 2:05 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme AW11 Knit Size 2 Last post on Yesterday at 1:11 am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Hickey Freeman Blue Merino V-Neck Last post on 2/6/16 at 2:17pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: KnitwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Can a v-neck undershirt be worn under a v-neck sweater? (Pic included)post #1 of 1710/8/12 at 10:18amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1710/8/12 at 11:23amthe general consenus is that you should not see underwear (your undershirt) below a sweater. That is a very tight v-neck and it looks bad as is.
you'll want to wear a v-neck t-shirt that has a deep enough v that you don't see it. Many people also wear a button up shirt underneath the sweater.post #3 of 1710/8/12 at 11:47amThread StarterQuote:What do you mean by very tight? I just have a muscular build and had to go a size up even.Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the general consenus is that you should not see underwear (your undershirt) below a sweater. That is a very tight v-neck and it looks bad as is.
you'll want to wear a v-neck t-shirt that has a deep enough v that you don't see it. Many people also wear a button up shirt underneath the sweater.
So to be sure, are you saying the only options for wearing a v-neck are...
V-neck without undershirt showing
V-neck with button down underneath?
Thanks in advance.post #4 of 1710/8/12 at 11:52amI only wear v-neck sweaters when I have a button-front shirt underneath. I think the v-neck only or v-neck with slight undershirt look is sloppy at best and alarming at worst. I wear a crew neck sweater if I want to wear only a t shirt underneath. This is just personal preference, of course.post #5 of 1710/8/12 at 11:56ampost #6 of 1710/8/12 at 11:56ampost #7 of 1710/8/12 at 12:27pmThread Starterpost #8 of 1710/8/12 at 12:44pmpost #9 of 1710/8/12 at 1:11pmQuote:
If putting on a button down is so much effort for you, I think you're on the wrong forum!post #10 of 1710/8/12 at 1:14pmpost #11 of 1710/8/12 at 1:22pmpost #12 of 1710/8/12 at 1:25pmThread Starterpost #13 of 1710/8/12 at 1:28pmpost #14 of 1710/8/12 at 1:42pm
I think the OP is serious.
You may personally like the look, but most people on this forum will dissaprove. Let me add that I have only recently began to dress "like a man" as it were (I'm in my mid thirties). But even when all I wore were jeans, tshirts, long sleeve shirts, or short sleeve button down shirts I knew that showing your undershirt like the photos in this thread is REALLY TACKY.
The only thing tackier is when the sweater has a built in fake undershirt collar.post #15 of 1710/8/12 at 1:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
I only wear v-neck sweaters when I have a button-front shirt underneath. I think the v-neck only or v-neck with slight undershirt look is sloppy at best and alarming at worst. I wear a crew neck sweater if I want to wear only a t shirt underneath. This is just personal preference, of course.
I agree with this. I don't like the t-shirt-under-v-neck look at all.
- Can a v-neck undershirt be worn under a v-neck sweater? (Pic included)
Styleforum Top Picks
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Knitwear
- › Yellow Hook Necktie Appreciation Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Ankle opening? 1 minute ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 3 minutes ago
- › Need Help with Balmain Biker Jeans 4 minutes ago
- › Canali or Zegna on Bluefly 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 7 minutes ago
- › Slim wallets recommendation 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...