or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Anyone tailored a trench coat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone tailored a trench coat? - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

WTF are you talking about? Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.

Yup. Have fun wearing your completely soaked overcoat in a thunderstorm. If you dress professionally, you're gonna need a classic raincoat as well as a classic overcoat. They have different functions, and neither is particularly well suited to the role of the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

You mean like, actually buckle the belt at the front? - and not just leave it dangling at the back?

I vary. Sometimes I button mine and leave the belt hanging, sometimes I half button and tie the belt in front (a la Humphry Bogart), sometimes I don't button at all and just cinch it with the belt, in which case I use the buckle. It all depends on the temperature and my mood.

The fun part of a trench coat is that you have options.
post #17 of 24
I never tie my trench. I have the "belt" tied to itself in the back
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

If you dress professionally, you're gonna need a classic raincoat as well as a classic overcoat. They have different functions, and neither is particularly well suited to the role of the other.
Indeed they do, and one of the functions of a raincoat/trenchcoat is as a topcoat for cool but not cold weather (Quadcammer's "55 degree weather" and some degrees below that.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.
Underlines my point above.
post #19 of 24
So I looked quickly at Burberry's "bespoke" service and it appears to be nothing of the sort, and quite pricey.

Shame. Not so sure about leather epaulets and wrist cuffs either.
post #20 of 24
Yea - the Burberry 'bespoke' barely rises to the level of stock special.

I saw a legitimate bespoke trenchcoat at Corvato's a few years back. It was cotton drill that had been Scotchguarded. I asked him how waterproof it actually was and he just shrugged his shoulders.
Edited by Cantabrigian - 10/9/12 at 4:17pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

WTF are you talking about? Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.

I just realized you guys are talking about a Mckintosh!!
post #22 of 24

What are some quality brands for trenches?  My mind immediately goes to Burberry because of their classics.  Want to keep the price <$300 used.
 

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hard to find Burberry (even used) < $300. I got my trench on sale at Macy's many years ago and it has served me well in business trips to London, Amsterdam and Beijing. Although others may disagree, I like black travel trenches -- beige is a classier color, but it does not travel as well and shows dirt too easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

What are some quality brands for trenches?  My mind immediately goes to Burberry because of their classics.  Want to keep the price <$300 used.

 
post #24 of 24

That's wonderful to wear tailored or adjusted to body line coat. You will look very nice and feel comforable.

That's not dificult  to adjust, just it needes to have professional ironing equipment. To produce new coat is quite dificult. It needs to have long years of experience in design and engineering, lots of different professional equipment. But the result is perfect.

 

So, if You have mind to adjust coat to waistline, You can try to make it on waistchest dats, that's not difficult. Good luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Anyone tailored a trench coat?