or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to clean oil stain on Filson original briefcase
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to clean oil stain on Filson original briefcase

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I tried some Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover Pen on the little oil stain on the bag, don't know whether the stain will go away.  Any suggestions.... ?

 

The material is:

Made from 22-oz. 100% cotton oil finish Rugged Twill with 100% Genuine Bridle Leather.

 

 

 

post #2 of 11
Try Dawn.
post #3 of 11
post #4 of 11
Let's not try either. The fabric is oil finished so basically there is nothing you're going to do remove it.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post

Maybe try this method?
http://www.styleforum.net/t/317657/removing-a-grease-spot

+1
I would go with this or baking soda. Same process.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

Time to order some baby powder...  I guess when it arrives, it would be already too late.

post #7 of 11
Again, Filson twill is a wax and oil finished cloth. Brushing in a dry powder is going to do nothing but make this problem worse. You clean it the same way you do their other oil treated cloth. You brush it dry to remove loose dirt and wipe it with a damp sponge or rag with nothing but cold water on it for anything else.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

Again, Filson twill is a wax and oil finished cloth. Brushing in a dry powder is going to do nothing but make this problem worse. You clean it the same way you do their other oil treated cloth. You brush it dry to remove loose dirt and wipe it with a damp sponge or rag with nothing but cold water on it for anything else.

 

Wow, thank you so much.  Will definitely tried it out.  

 

Why the product description say something like avoid washing with water...  Is it because the how the material was treated during production?  Thanks!

post #9 of 11
why buy something that's built to last a lifetime, that would look better abused and battered and stained, and then trying to baby it like it's some precious fragile item?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post

why buy something that's built to last a lifetime, that would look better abused and battered and stained, and then trying to baby it like it's some precious fragile item?

+1
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ircfas133 View Post

Wow, thank you so much.  Will definitely tried it out.  

Why the product description say something like avoid washing with water...  Is it because the how the material was treated during production?  Thanks!

Well if you soak it with water you'll have to retreat the leather and it would be a good idea to rewax the bag as well. It takes a while to do that. A damp rag or sponge is OK. This type of material is treated during production with a paraffin wax compound to make it highly resistant to water. You don't want to "wash" this out for obvious reasons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to clean oil stain on Filson original briefcase