I think that was a sarcastic comment regarding those outfit looks which are also in my opinion, really trashy.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Momotaro x Blue Owl Collaboration Series Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Denim Therapy Last post on 5/9/14 at 6:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- FS: KMW Kicking Mule Workshop PRICE DROP 7/5 Last post on 7/5/11 at 5:57pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 7/10 DROPS! MASSIVE Closet Clearance Obo!! Last post on 7/10/11 at 8:05pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 3/6/16
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. - Page 651post #9752 of 149993/7/16 at 5:33pmpost #9753 of 149993/7/16 at 7:02pmguys, its a couture show. this stuff is remarkable for couture. biker jackets studded with hearts, sequined leggings, heart-shaped furs, etc. this isn't just couture for aging parisian doyennes (or kingpins' cokehead callgirls). it is indeed about as rebellious for a couture show as it can get, it brings the techniques of couture into the realm of wearability and much more importantly desirability for people below the age of 85 and/or with a modicum of taste not left over from 1952 or denizens of the VIP rooms of inner moscow. i think it's awesome.
how many girls do you know that have actually WANTED a couture piece...ever? like had their hearts set on it, hell, that even care about couture shows...that aren't either heiresses or wizened royalty or high end callgirls...or all three? yet the second my gf saw the hearts studs biker jacket, she said "that's mine". i'm so fucked now, but that's besides the point. the whole point was to make couture cool, interesting, relevant, something worth discussing, looking at, wanting again. which i think has been eminently accomplished.
if you take a look at the audience, which is full of sad fashion victims in droopy clothing, the snickering is put in perspective, and it just confirms why the show is important. for these people, couture is like the velvet rope in the VIP section: just expensive pointless shit to keep the riff raff OUT. but in this collection couture is accessible, not financially, but aesthetically, culturally, stylistically. it is inviting people who live lives that aren't about pure self-indulgence IN. yes, you have to be successful to afford this stuff...but you don't wear a couture biker jacket to a debutante's ball at a crumbling palace full of fake bald princes.
i think it's a fantastic show, people will rip it off HARD and not give hedi any credit (as they always do) for years to come, expect tons of studded bikers and sequined leggings etc on couture runways next year. and it fits perfectly with recent hedi collections. what were elaborately worked sequined bombers if not a prelude to this? my patchwork biker is as couture as i ever need to get. but it is the very same aesthetic and ethos in this collection, and the world sorely needs it. what the world doesn't need is more sweatshirts with baboon prints on them pretending to be high fashion, or sheer lingerie with a sequin stuck onto it solely for the dead-eyed mistresses of oligarchs pretending to be couture.post #9754 of 149993/7/16 at 8:01pmpost #9755 of 149993/7/16 at 8:27pmpost #9756 of 149993/7/16 at 9:42pmpost #9757 of 149993/8/16 at 1:07ampost #9758 of 149993/8/16 at 2:44am
@slann01 trashy? hasn't that been the point this entire time?
@neonrider dude, as always I'm with you 100%. I love the shapes, with the bikers and then the extreme skirts kind of like AW15. publically i'll echo your statement verbatim. and looking back on everything this morning with fresh eyes, I like everything a lot more.
that said, something still feels off for me. no matter how interesting it is, it will inevitably play into the closets of the fake prince's daughter. i guess i just prefer ignoring couture altogether. or playing with it through sequined teddy jackets etc. the only hope I have is that it will be offensive when someone wears a studded biker to a couture event.
I've been trying to figure out what internal prejudice led me to initially dislike it. maybe an ignorance of couture generally? or maybe i just wanted more of the same. I've never had an interest in fashion, just hedi. and then i started thinking, well, the only reason i got into his stuff was a way to be cooler than my cool friends (still in art and music scenes, who dress this way and in some ways contribute to shaping these aesthetics etc.). and if this is hedi's way of doing that to couture, then fuck it i'm for it.
and according to the ny times: Asked whether this collection would be Mr. Slimane’s last, a label spokeswoman said serenely, “I don’t know.”post #9759 of 149993/8/16 at 4:10amQuote:Originally Posted by therattler
trashy? hasn't that been the point this entire time?
Sorry man - autocorrect on the mobile Phone made me write it wrong - i meant trash, as in rubbish, bad designs, not trashy, which fw15 for womens was, and i really liked that. He presented some of the designs from ss14 in terms of cuts of dresses, embellished it with sequins and fur here and there and exchanged the ss14 low heel women boots for high heels. The "couture" fraction at the end of the ss16, with slip lurex and silk dresses, were so much better, referencing music culture and also looking way more genuine. I don't think a studded leather jacket on top of a couture dress will ever be revolutionary, in terms of clothing nor in terms of concept.post #9760 of 149993/8/16 at 5:24ampost #9761 of 149993/8/16 at 5:42ampost #9762 of 149993/8/16 at 6:05amQuote:Originally Posted by echau
Chain Wyatt's on YSL for $995
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Why you had to post those man..damn.post #9763 of 149993/8/16 at 7:27ampost #9764 of 149993/8/16 at 8:09ampost #9765 of 149993/8/16 at 8:11am
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 16 seconds ago
- › NIKE Thread 16 seconds ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 39 seconds ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 55 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formosa Fox Flannel SC, Size 48 (fits 40/50R) 2 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Shannon balmoral boots, Dark Oak, 82 last UK9E with... 2 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...