or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. - Page 612

post #9166 of 14982

I'm pretty sure anybody would hate for people to think they were trying to copy Harry Styles / Justin Bieber / Bruno Mars. At this stage tan suede boots are that synonymous with Harry Styles that many people will think that way. Things are on the verge of becoming played out for want of a better expression. The items are still beautiful, but something as ubiquitous as the black / ivory varsity does begin to lose it's appeal when you see three people wearing it in one hour of walking through London. And then you have the simple fact that Bobbie Gillespie wearing Saint Laurent makes it seem a million times cooler than One Direction wearing it. 

post #9167 of 14982

the bomber justin wore was a slp fw16 one or something? looks like the new season Gucci one

 

guys relax, 90% of the 'celeb's don't know much, they just get the stylist to get clothes for them, do you think they are sitting down on ysl.com ordering this and that? yes sometimes they might go to stores but that is rare.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by neonrider View Post

some choice quotes from my gf:

 


i was just watching the show. it was great.

post #9168 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston86dit View Post
You know what's really rock & roll though, not giving two shits about what anyone else is wearing and just dressing in things because you like them.
post #9169 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeraQueezy View Post
Originally Posted by winston86dit View Post
You know what's really rock & roll though, not giving two shits about what anyone else is wearing and just dressing in things because you like them.

 

Of course. And I'll continue to do so. But this forum is good place to talk about this stuff so: Part of the reason why it blows that Bieber is wearing it etc. is that growing up and still a part of certain subcultural scenes whatever, is that the appeal of dressing this way is a reference to that. When that reference is diluted, it rubs the wrong way.

 

Part of the whole fuck you approach with SLP is that is a double negation. On the one hand, fuck so-called mainstream fashion by producing elevated punk rock staples. On the other, fuck you to my friends who can't afford a 5k leather jacket. Yes they look just as good in theirs, but there's a certain attitude inherent in the excessive purchase (we've talked about it before).

 

Bieber and Bruno Mars wearing this stuff is not unlike punk rock being played on the radio now, being appropriated: sex pistols mastercards etc. And it's kind of a good thing insofar as it forces the wearer (and hopefully the designer) to move forward and try to be more innovative, rebellious whatever. Again, this is why I think it's best for Hedi to quit. i.e., thank god kurt killed himself before he became a foo fighter. That would be the best gesture before the thing inflates itself to the point of self-parody. Which this show suggests is coming.

post #9170 of 14982

Aside from all the side issues being discussed, a few thoughts on the show:

 

1) The focus was the women's collection, the men's (many great individual pieces) was a bit of an afterthought, or, maybe more accurate to say it played a supporting role

2) I want all the military-inspired pieces

3) I want all the embroidered blazers (and I won't be able to afford a single one)

4) The boots, I want them all

5) Hedi loves Yves and I love him for that

 

That said, not a lot new here for the men.  Is this a transition point for Hedi away from menswear in general? He seems to be a bit bored with it, maybe he'll do for women's clothing what he did for men wherever his next adventure takes him.

 

...

post #9171 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by therattler View Post


Unfortunately the clothes do not exist in a vacuum, and thus carry connotations wrt their associations with certain people, in this case certain celebrities. Both @neonrider and I find it objectionable that things that we like are going to be recognized as that teddy that bieber was wearing. However elitist it may be, I don't want to be associated with many of the famous faces that are in the headlines today for attending the show. My solution to this is to continue wearing the stuff once the hype dies down. Which I think is coming--things are sticking around longer on grailed for example. Then it'll be cool (for once?).

Hedi has great taste in music, models etc. Why does he invite Efron? Stallone? Why not be as selective with who models his stuff as he is with who shows up on the red carpet?

It's not elitist, just stupid. You won't wear what you like because it is more mainstream and some celebrities were wearing it. Do you really think Saint Laurent or any other brand's items are one of a kind? Yeah, maybe you don't want people to think you are copying bieber but honestly it's all in your head. If I wasn't browsing Instagram I wouldn't even know those people were at the show, let alone see the piece on the street and instantly be able to reference that x celeb wore that at the slp show.
post #9172 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by therattler View Post
 

 i.e., thank god kurt killed himself before he became a foo fighter. 

That doesn't really make sense tho..

 

Hedis womenswear was always stronger. MW you can't do much its practically the same every season, variations of blazers some classic jackets, stuff like that, but womenswear there are so many possibilities. 

post #9173 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudy View Post
 

Aside from all the side issues being discussed, a few thoughts on the show:

 

1) The focus was the women's collection, the men's (many great individual pieces) was a bit of an afterthought, or, maybe more accurate to say it played a supporting role

2) I want all the military-inspired pieces

3) I want all the embroidered blazers (and I won't be able to afford a single one)

4) The boots, I want them all

5) Hedi loves Yves and I love him for that

 

That said, not a lot new here for the men.  Is this a transition point for Hedi away from menswear in general? He seems to be a bit bored with it, maybe he'll do for women's clothing what he did for men wherever his next adventure takes him.

 

...

 

Definitely agree with you on all those points. I felt the men's collection had a few really great standout pieces, but I wasn't in love with the collection as a whole. I felt that the women's collection was much more captivating mainly due to the varied silhouettes and looks. The menswear was more of a 'Hedi's greatest hits' as well as the return of the skinny tailoring. However, it's also just due to the differences between menswear and women's in general.

 

The Military coats looked great and can't wait to try them on. Guessing the prices are going to skyrocket for this season. A focal point was definitely stressed that the embroidering and such were all done by hand.


Also, when you get a chance can you check your PMs? Thanks.

post #9174 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstar View Post


It's not elitist, just stupid. You won't wear what you like because it is more mainstream and some celebrities were wearing it. Do you really think Saint Laurent or any other brand's items are one of a kind? Yeah, maybe you don't want people to think you are copying bieber but honestly it's all in your head. If I wasn't browsing Instagram I wouldn't even know those people were at the show, let alone see the piece on the street and instantly be able to reference that x celeb wore that at the slp show.

 

Read the second post man. I will definitely continue to wear what I like. Already put a deposit on the sunset teddy, despite the fact that it will be the most hyped up SS16 piece.

 

Maybe it is more in my head. But, when you show up to a show in la wearing wyatts and a slp leather, you feel like an aging rock dad. People laugh at the poser etc. And sure, fuck em - they can't afford it etc etc. The more nuanced point here is that insofar as this stuff references subculture in an informed way, it still misses its mark. There's an antagonism there.

 

Most people who reject the 'lifestlye' argument re slp, miss the point because they have little subcultural awareness.

 

Kurt died before Nirvana would be eventually diluted by a long career, is the point. Anyone good ends up fading away ... didn't Kurdt say something like that? to Boddha or someone?

post #9175 of 14982

@prudy It'd sure be nice if the critics took their head out of their ass and noticed the degree to which hedi celebrates these girls. If there was a collection where the girls were unambiguously NOT the groupies, it'd be this one.

post #9176 of 14982
Quote:
Originally Posted by therattler View Post
 

 

Read the second post man. I will definitely continue to wear what I like. Already put a deposit on the sunset teddy, despite the fact that it will be the most hyped up SS16 piece.

 

Maybe it is more in my head. But, when you show up to a show in la wearing wyatts and a slp leather, you feel like an aging rock dad. People laugh at the poser etc. And sure, fuck em - they can't afford it etc etc. The more nuanced point here is that insofar as this stuff references subculture in an informed way, it still misses its mark. There's an antagonism there.

 

Most people who reject the 'lifestlye' argument re slp, miss the point because they have little subcultural awareness.

 

Kurt died before Nirvana would be eventually diluted by a long career, is the point. Anyone good ends up fading away ... didn't Kurdt say something like that? to Boddha or someone?


Maybe its just the age differences, but I'm assuming from your reference points in your second post that you are still on the younger end of the spectrum? I can understand you don't want to be associated with certain references e.g. bieber or aging rock dad, but as in my experiences as you mature, you just stop caring. I might have when I was younger, but nowadays I just wear what I like and don't think give it a second thought. It may just be my perspective and attitudes, but I really don't care about celebrities. It literally has no bearing on my life, and doesn't affect my decisions.

post #9177 of 14982


It's funny you say that. At my corporate job I absolutely refuse to be like every other pastel coloured drone, so this stuff is super important to me. But when I do go to shows and stuff, I am a little older and conscious of how it plays out. Certainly, the coolest kids aren't wearing SLP. They don't need too.

post #9178 of 14982




more on my instagram

those sequin lace ups look heaps good
post #9179 of 14982
Stopped to get my denim back from the tailor and also grabbed the new raw hem dots which I love. Jean may be my favorite of my collection. Thought I'd throw up a post tailor pic. Had the tailor bring them down to 14cm from 15cm as usual. The denim is nice and think on these compared to my older patch knee. Was hoping to try a bunch off the surf sound shoes as well but my SA said 40 was the smallest bought for the us market?! I'm a 39 in the shoes so I was swimming in these but the combo was nice.






post #9180 of 14982

You are US 6?


haters gon hate, who cares what they wear or how shitty it is styled

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.