or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. - Page 578

post #8656 of 14950

 

 

I

I went out and bought the V magazine, I remember someone asking about these pictures and whether or not the captions state what Hedi is wearing in the pictures. It doesn't state what he's wearing unfortunately. I expected some sort of interview but there's only these pictures in the entire magazine, I was a little disappointed. 

post #8657 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post

A good friend of mine working with SL has just gotten back from the Paris Show Room and said there are some amazing pieces being unveiled (not related to the runway show on the 10th), but stressed that those looking for Permanent collection items should stock up while they can. There are already buyers working with SL and most have not seen anything Permanent and there are no plans to use any of the jackets, boots, etc for future use due to complicated design patents. Sneakers, t's, jeans etc are apparently available to repurpose but some of the boots, jackets as well as most tailor wear are under a strict design patent. I'm guessing Hedi learned his lesson with DH still selling his designs well after his leave. 

So his departure is pretty much all but confirmed, then? That does seem fair, though. It'd be very hard to claim a specific cut of denim as an original "design". Do you think we'll see SLP "knocking off" their own products in the seasons immediately after, at least until they get a firm footing again?
post #8658 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobradley View Post


So his departure is pretty much all but confirmed, then? That does seem fair, though. It'd be very hard to claim a specific cut of denim as an original "design". Do you think we'll see SLP "knocking off" their own products in the seasons immediately after, at least until they get a firm footing again?


Sounds like you are still not convinced by the power of Hedi. SLP Denim has been the reference point for most, if not all, denim makers due to his ingenious "vertical bar" design. He basically took the Dior Homme Horizontal Side design and twisted it for SLP. The difference is that SLP's Vertical bars between the ass is one of the most ingeniously designed and structured elements that no one will ever be able to patent. This is the entire reason why SLP denim is so highly regarded. Ever notice why no matter how fat you get the jeans stay put and don't stretch out? No matter how much weight you gain, those SLP jeans will always make you look one or two sizes slimmer? Yes, it's because, Hedi. 

post #8659 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post


Sounds like you are still not convinced by the power of Hedi. SLP Denim has been the reference point for most, if not all, denim makers due to his ingenious "vertical bar" design. He basically took the Dior Homme Horizontal Side design and twisted it for SLP. The difference is that SLP's Vertical bars between the ass is one of the most ingeniously designed and structured elements that no one will ever be able to patent. This is the entire reason why SLP denim is so highly regarded. Ever notice why no matter how fat you get the jeans stay put and don't stretch out? No matter how much weight you gain, those SLP jeans will always make you look one or two sizes slimmer? Yes, it's because, Hedi. 

Huh, I didn't actually know that. I always felt there was *something* about the cut of my SLPs that put them over and above other jeans, but had no idea that this was the specific reason. Are there any posts that really dig in to the details about the cut and everything?

I have no experience with the weight gain part, and hopefully won't until I'm well in to middle age, haha.
post #8660 of 14950
post #8661 of 14950

The showroom is for AW 16 which is still under Hedi, so buyers will be able to buy as much permanent collection as they want. I very much doubt that we won't be seeing things like the Wyatt, cropped jodhpurs, sac de jour, 3 passant, etc. for many years to come. 

post #8662 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post

Sounds like you are still not convinced by the power of Hedi. SLP Denim has been the reference point for most, if not all, denim makers due to his ingenious "vertical bar" design. He basically took the Dior Homme Horizontal Side design and twisted it for SLP. The difference is that SLP's Vertical bars between the ass is one of the most ingeniously designed and structured elements that no one will ever be able to patent. This is the entire reason why SLP denim is so highly regarded. Ever notice why no matter how fat you get the jeans stay put and don't stretch out? No matter how much weight you gain, those SLP jeans will always make you look one or two sizes slimmer? Yes, it's because, Hedi.

Don't mind my playing devil's advocate, but what is the term "Horizontal side" supposed to mean? Are "vertical bars between the ass" anything other than standard trouser rear darts transplanted onto jeans (and moved slightly closer together)? And if "nobody will ever be able to patent" this feature, does that not mean SLP (and anyone else who wishes to attempt it) is free to produce this without Hedi's involvement?

I wonder which one of the posts below will turn out to be utterly wrong about the future of the brand. "Complicated design patents" sets off my bullshit alarm, frankly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post

that those looking for Permanent collection items should stock up while they can. There are already buyers working with SL and most have not seen anything Permanent and there are no plans to use any of the jackets, boots, etc for future use due to complicated design patents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran84 View Post

The showroom is for AW 16 which is still under Hedi, so buyers will be able to buy as much permanent collection as they want. I very much doubt that we won't be seeing things like the Wyatt, cropped jodhpurs, sac de jour, 3 passant, etc. for many years to come. 
post #8663 of 14950

The vertical seems between the yoke and the waistband are purely aesthetic branding. I don't know how anyone could think they have any involvement in the fit or eventual stretching.

post #8664 of 14950

I really miss those Dior legendary washes, it was truly the best denim at the time. Also done by Hedi. Hopeful for his return.

 

Chanel? I'm sorry but Chanel isn't even the same league as Dior or SLP in terms of clothing.

post #8665 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronBong View Post

 

Chanel? I'm sorry but Chanel isn't even the same league as Dior or SLP in terms of clothing.

 

This is totally subjective. 

post #8666 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp123 View Post
 

 

This is totally subjective. 

for women's clothing chanel is absolute one of the top tiers.

 

for men is basically non existent. seriously he should go back to dior.

post #8667 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran84 View Post

The showroom is for AW 16 which is still under Hedi, so buyers will be able to buy as much permanent collection as they want. I very much doubt that we won't be seeing things like the Wyatt, cropped jodhpurs, sac de jour, 3 passant, etc. for many years to come. 

This.
post #8668 of 14950

Chanel CEO is stepping down. Safe to assume Hedi won't be going there?

post #8669 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

I wonder which one of the posts below will turn out to be utterly wrong about the future of the brand. "Complicated design patents" sets off my bullshit alarm, frankly.
 

 

I think "complicated design patents" might have been the wrong word choice. I could see Hedi trying to take his products with him, especially after the Dior denim thing, and trying to put something in the initial contract that makes this happen. Hence, design "patents" (which would probably end up being intellectual property). Whether or not that happened/happens is a whole other story. Could even be something as small as the name "Permanent Collection" - this is pure speculation, but the same jeans, boots, bags, etc. could easily be made after he's gone, but they won't be able to brand the collection as the "Saint Laurent Permanent Collection". 

post #8670 of 14950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobradley View Post
 

 

I think "complicated design patents" might have been the wrong word choice. I could see Hedi trying to take his products with him, especially after the Dior denim thing, and trying to put something in the initial contract that makes this happen. Hence, design "patents" (which would probably end up being intellectual property). Whether or not that happened/happens is a whole other story. Could even be something as small as the name "Permanent Collection" - this is pure speculation, but the same jeans, boots, bags, etc. could easily be made after he's gone, but they won't be able to brand the collection as the "Saint Laurent Permanent Collection". 


The likelihood of this is so low. Clothing is not patentable (there are potential exceptions), nor does it attract copyright. Very rarely things can be covered by TM. This is why fast fashion can blatantly copy high end brands and they aren't sued out of existence. Certain pieces can get a registered design right.

 

Schematics for the production of items would attract copyright. And as a result, if designers had access to them Kering could sue on this basis.

 

However, every employment contract provides that any IP rights done under the performance of ones duties for the employer will be owned by the employer. Whatever IP rights Hedi has created, will all be owned by Kering. Thus allowing them to continue making the permanent collection and stopping him from taking his designs elsewhere. Likely though nothing is a registered design as lots of SLP stuff is so similar to other brands (think of the sneakers). Also, if they were registered the new gold wyatts would likely be an infringement of his Dior designs.

 

If he negotiated his own IP clause, it would be unprecedented. And stupid. It would mean that he owned the redesigned SLP TM's and could take them to Chanel. No way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread.