or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › List of Bare Necessities
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of Bare Necessities - Page 4

post #46 of 153
Personally I favor most of my other SC over my navy blazer because I think they are better in most of the situations where I can't wear a suit, but I understand that we're talking about people who do have, or want to have, a large collection of sport coats. For them, and especially for this list, I think the blazer is best if only because the original list specified 2 white shirts. Since then the shirts have been relaxed and pale blue has been allowed, but I would not want the unsub to be out there on my advice wearing an outstanding white shirt with a lovely brown SC. :shudder:

I haven't yet worked out whether the whole wardrobe is more versatile (by being more interchangeable) with two white shirts than with one white one blue, but I suspect it might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

6) (i'm not well versed in this since I'm not religious, but for those who are...) formal religious events for which a tie might be overkill
I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now...for some of these a suit might be ok. for others a tie might be too much. and when there is no tie, a blazer is much better than a suit. For others, there will be people there in shirt sleeves, but they are decidedly poorly dressed.

I am religious, and I can't think of a formal religious event where a tie would be overkill. At least not one where a jacket would be expected. In my experience, either the tie (and even suit) are perfectly appropriate, or khakis and a button down are fine. Maybe this comes from living mostly in the southeast and the midwest.
post #47 of 153
Thread Starter 
Another one - and this is field-specific - but as an academic, when giving talks either as a part of a conference or when visiting another university, odd jacket with no tie is common. Suit and tie would definitely be too much. No jacket is ok and accepted (hell, it's academia, t-shirt is accepted). But odd jacket is clearly better.
post #48 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

In fact, most people IRL don't even get the suit-coat distinction and upon seeing the above would simply say - "nice suit".

I agree that many people would not be able to differentiate, but would you wear a blazer or an odd jacket to a wedding? Or on the other side of the coin, a suit to dinner? I couldn't get by without at least one of each....and I'd hate to have so few.
post #49 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post

I agree that many people would not be able to differentiate, but would you wear a blazer or an odd jacket to a wedding? Or on the other side of the coin, a suit to dinner? I couldn't get by without at least one of each....and I'd hate to have so few.

And job interviews are the main one. If you're interviewing with people that are seeing 10 candidates that day, and you're the only one not wearing a suit, it stands out, and in not a good way.
post #50 of 153
I do the odd jacket/blazer (navy jacket with non-metal buttons most commonly) quite frequently for dinner at a nice place with my wife. A suit would be too much almost everywhere, but the jacket adds a nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

In fact I'm going to the opera this Sunday so...I'll let you know how well turned out the crowd is!

I was at the Kennedy Center for Don Giovanni a few weekends back. The majority of men were wearing a suit, quite a number had tuxedos.

Lots of really, really ugly ties though.
post #51 of 153
lots of shiny loud print designs?
post #52 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lots of shiny loud print designs?

The sort of geometric print rejects from the 1990s you find swarming the tie racks at Goodwills across the nation.


I was wearing a purple tie with gold pindots from Paul Stuart fistbump.gif
post #53 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I was at the Kennedy Center for Don Giovanni a few weekends back. The majority of men were wearing a suit, quite a number had tuxedos.
Lots of really, really ugly ties though.

This was for an evening performance, I assume? Was it the opening? I'm curious.

I went to Anna Bolena last Thursday and it was more odd jackets than suits, I think. I was definitely the only one in anything resembling evening wear.

Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?
post #54 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

The sort of geometric print rejects from the 1990s you find swarming the tie racks at Goodwills across the nation.
I was wearing a purple tie with gold pindots from Paul Stuart fistbump.gif

ffffuuuu.gif

fing02[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

This was for an evening performance, I assume? Was it the opening? I'm curious.
I went to Anna Bolena last Thursday and it was more odd jackets than suits, I think. I was definitely the only one in anything resembling evening wear.
Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?

ffs, what is wrong with you two?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
you both live near me, why have you never invited me?
post #55 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

This was for an evening performance, I assume? Was it the opening? I'm curious.
The first performance was Thursday, I went to the Saturday show (so the first weekend showing).
Quote:
Side note but since I'm going to see it and curious, did you enjoy the performance?

Never been to an opera before, but I enjoyed it overall. Three hours is a long time to sit still though, and I had some old shrew behind me get after me for leaning forward.
post #56 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
you both live near me, why have you never invited me?

Anniversary date with the wife satisfied.gif
post #57 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

ffffuuuu.gif
fing02[1].gif
ffs, what is wrong with you two? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
you both live near me, why have you never invited me?

didn't want to make you feel like a 73-yr old loser woman! smile.gif
post #58 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Never been to an opera before, but I enjoyed it overall. Three hours is a long time to sit still though, and I had some old shrew behind me get after me for leaning forward.

Agree. I usually enjoy it but wish it were 45 min shorter. Too bad about the shrew.
post #59 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


Not to say that a navy blazer isn't useful, but, as someone who works in a casual environment and does have some limited occasion to dress up, I'm confounded by why people constantly propel the navy blazer as an essential.
Black or brown or grey seems more useful to me.

Does. not. compute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

are you cereal? navy SC with jeans, WIN. navy SC with khakis, WIN. navy SC with ivory trou, WIN. navy SC with gray flannel, WIN.

No, I think he's just from the streetwear side.

I cite myself as the authority here. nod[1].gif

Navy blue:
1zejq80.jpg


Mid blue:
2lnz9jc.jpg

http://www.styleforum.net/t/317329/jrds-guide-to-coherent-sportcoat-combinations/0_30
post #60 of 153

Most of those are not navy blazers though, they are odd jackets.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › List of Bare Necessities