or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013 - Page 59

post #871 of 1014
didn't realize that they also made an olive colored version of the quilted overshirt, its on sale now too!
post #872 of 1014
Jeeze, this brand has gotten boring.
post #873 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Jeeze, this brand has gotten boring.

Why? Popular interpretation of J. Crew among peeps I know is that they produce good quality basics at a decent price on sale. I think this still holds true. Possibly you have just evolved beyond it. 

post #874 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Grape View Post

Why? Popular interpretation of J. Crew among peeps I know is that they produce good quality basics at a decent price on sale. I think this still holds true. Possibly you have just evolved beyond it. 
I fully agree. The brand has been 'boring' for several years now. It hasn't really changed since 2009 or so. Still the same chinos with the cuffs flipped, workwear boots, etc.

There's a 40% off clearance items that started yesterday in store. Picked up a sweater, 2 henley's and a button down for $80.
post #875 of 1014

In my opinion, j.crew has become stronger and more interesting. I didn't like much this brand before. 

post #876 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post


I fully agree. The brand has been 'boring' for several years now. It hasn't really changed since 2009 or so. Still the same chinos with the cuffs flipped, workwear boots, etc.

There's a 40% off clearance items that started yesterday in store. Picked up a sweater, 2 henley's and a button down for $80.

You could probably qualify this statement with, 'staple items are boring to me'. Alternately, one might say, 'The American workwear tradition is becoming tired to me.' It seems difficult to be inventive within that niche, when the reference point is becoming so prominent. I am interested to know what brands you dudes are into, or if designers which do similar things as J. Crew, like Battenwear or RRL, among others, are possibly more inventive to you?  


Edited by Arnold Grape - 3/17/14 at 5:12am
post #877 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Grape View Post

You could probably qualify this statement with, 'staple items are boring to me'--or something to that effect. Alternately, one might say, 'The American workwear tradition is becoming tired to me.' It seems difficult to be inventive within that niche, when the reference point is becoming so prominent. I am interested to know what brands you dudes are into, or if designers which do similar things as J. Crew, like Battenwear or RRL, among others, are possibly more inventive to you?  
I love and rock all brands, man. J. Crew makes up a nice portion of my wardrobe for t shirts, and basics. I also like Paul Smith, Alexander McQueen, etc. I still buy and wear Nike and Jordan sneakers with tapered sweats and jogger pants, the stuff I loved as a kid in the '90s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pasteurisation View Post

In my opinion, j.crew has become stronger and more interesting. I didn't like much this brand before. 
I've been saying this for a while. At one point, I saw J. Crew with being on point as Banana Republic, but they have created a niche space for themselves being a 'mall brand' with collabs from brands like Alden, CdG, Reigning Champ, etc.

The Men Store and 'stylists' is pure genius. I've seen many men walked into the Men Store and drop several thousands for a full wardrobe make over. These men command good salaries, but aren't the most stylist and the outfits featured on J. Crew is more or less in line with what is shown on GQ so that's "dressing sharp or dapper".
post #878 of 1014

Right, the stylists do really great job. 

post #879 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

I fully agree. The brand has been 'boring' for several years now. It hasn't really changed since 2009 or so. Still the same chinos with the cuffs flipped, workwear boots, etc.

 

What has changed since 2008/9: The quality of their materials and workmanship has declined precipitously. All of my pre-2009 J Crew is made with superior construction and fabrics to everything else I have from them.

post #880 of 1014

I think Jcrew does a great job by providing vintage styles for a fraction of the price (during its sale) compared to other heritage brands. For me, it's still one of the better mall brands out there. 

post #881 of 1014
EG has infinitely better materials and construction. There are other better heritage/workwear brands as well. J. Crew's marketing is genius (same with RRL). It's a mall brand trying to present itself as something more.

Four Pins actually wrote something kinda funny about it, although I'd argue that a majority of RRL is not worth it unless you're picking up at massive discount:

"What The Lookbook Projects: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor.

What Wearing The Brand Is Actually Like: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor. "

If you just want budget basics, Uniqlo makes more sense. If you want quality basics, there are plenty of other brands that I'd rather pay a little more for like Epaulet/WvG whatever.
Edited by cyc wid it - 3/16/14 at 3:58pm
post #882 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by applky View Post

What has changed since 2008/9: The quality of their materials and workmanship has declined precipitously. All of my pre-2009 J Crew is made with superior construction and fabrics to everything else I have from them.
That's interesting. I only started buying J. Crew in the tail end of 2008 when I was nearing the end of my undergrad career. 2 of my favorite pieces, regardless of brand or price, are J. Crew sweaters. Both were bought around 2008-2009 and have held up fine after numerous wears and washes.

I think J. Crew's quality is even on par with some of the more expensive brands, ie Vince, and Jack Spade. If anything, I think Jack Spade is one of the most overrated brands. I ended up returning everything of theirs, even though pieces were bought on deep discount.
post #883 of 1014
Jack Spade is awful.
post #884 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

EG has infinitely better materials and construction. There are other better heritage/workwear brands as well. J. Crew's marketing is genius (same with RRL). It's a mall brand trying to present itself as something more.

Four Pins actually wrote something kinda funny about it, although I'd argue that a majority of RRL is not worth it unless you're picking up at massive discount:

"What The Lookbook Projects: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor.

What Wearing The Brand Is Actually Like: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor. "

If you just want budget basics, Uniqlo makes more sense. If you want quality basics, there are plenty of other brands that I'd rather pay a little more for like Epaulet/WvG whatever.

 

Do you know where the fabrics from EG are sourced? Are you familiar with the factories that produce each garment, and the individuals who do so?

 

I don't trust information from people on "materials and construction" who are not experienced tailors (or those who work in the textile industry). Frankly, everyone else has no idea what they're talking about. 

post #885 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

EG has infinitely better materials and construction. There are other better heritage/workwear brands as well. J. Crew's marketing is genius (same with RRL). It's a mall brand trying to present itself as something more.

Four Pins actually wrote something kinda funny about it, although I'd argue that a majority of RRL is not worth it unless you're picking up at massive discount:

"What The Lookbook Projects: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor.

What Wearing The Brand Is Actually Like: You really want to wear brands like Nanamica and Sophnet and RRL and Engineered Garments, but you're too poor. "

If you just want budget basics, Uniqlo makes more sense. If you want quality basics, there are plenty of other brands that I'd rather pay a little more for like Epaulet/WvG whatever.

 

Agreed 100%, especially to those bolded sections. I've never found Uniqlo to work for me except for underwear, but I'm in the minority on that one, for sure. Especially now that they have ecommerce... wonder why that took so long.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

That's interesting. I only started buying J. Crew in the tail end of 2008 when I was nearing the end of my undergrad career. 2 of my favorite pieces, regardless of brand or price, are J. Crew sweaters. Both were bought around 2008-2009 and have held up fine after numerous wears and washes.

I think J. Crew's quality is even on par with some of the more expensive brands, ie Vince, and Jack Spade. If anything, I think Jack Spade is one of the most overrated brands. I ended up returning everything of theirs, even though pieces were bought on deep discount.

 

Maybe we're saying the same thing, but I think the quality of J Crew is on par with Jack Spade in that they're both poor to mediocre. My J Crew sweaters have all stretched like crazy, more than most knits. Sold a few earlier this winter, and had to put in the ad that they stretch. It's just a you-get-what-you-pay-for situation. If you buy a cashmere sweater on sale for $100-ish, then you (read: I) can't expect it to be like a William Lockie or John Smedley.

 

But their swim trunks are pretty great! Though the flap coin pocket this season was a mistake, IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013