or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013 - Page 36

post #526 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez nuts View Post

anyone interested in the wallace & barnes bomber?

 

 

Excellent jacket, I'm afraid I have too many bombers though....or do I????

post #527 of 976
thanks, j

and haha no, I never thought to get them tailored (I'm kinda on the slow side; never been to a tailor either)


and just a dumb question to throw out there - what's the difference between an oxford shirt and a "regular" shirt (like a secret wash shirt)?
post #528 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshi View Post

thanks, j



and haha no, I never thought to get them tailored (I'm kinda on the slow side; never been to a tailor either)





and just a dumb question to throw out there - what's the difference between an oxford shirt and a "regular" shirt (like a secret wash shirt)?

 



Oxford shirts are made from heavier oxford cloth, while the 'Secret Wash Shirt' is made from a thinner material, better worn in warmer weather. Also, tailoring J. Crew shirts doesn't seem to make sense to me, specifically in reference to the cost it would take, when you might just buy another (J. Crew) shirt altogether.
post #529 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Grape View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshi View Post

thanks, j



and haha no, I never thought to get them tailored (I'm kinda on the slow side; never been to a tailor either)





and just a dumb question to throw out there - what's the difference between an oxford shirt and a "regular" shirt (like a secret wash shirt)?

 



Oxford shirts are made from heavier oxford cloth, while the 'Secret Wash Shirt' is made from a thinner material, better worn in warmer weather. Also, tailoring J. Crew shirts doesn't seem to make sense to me, specifically in reference to the cost it would take, when you might just buy another (J. Crew) shirt altogether.

 

 

Slimming the waist is like $20...vs a shirt at Jcrew (on sale) is $35-40....tailoring it makes perfect sense.

post #530 of 976

I regularly buy J Crew shirts on sale for $20.  No way I'd pay to have one of their shirts tailored.

post #531 of 976
FWIW, J Crew dress shirting (both the their own Ludlow and the Thomas Mason) are good deals right now. In store I got the Ludlow dress shirts for about $40 each. I picked up two Thomas Mason shirts as well. I needed workhorse shirts for the week and got a bunch (two white, two blue pattern, one pink). I may pick up more. I prefer the main J Crew line shirts to stuff like Brooks Brothers's non OCBD offerings as they fit a bit slimmer and are not non-iron. The Thomas Mason shirts are a good deal at about $100; they are better shirts than Thomas Pink IMO. The Thomas Mason royal oxford in pink is one of the best pink dress shirts I have owned.
post #532 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

FWIW, J Crew dress shirting (both the their own Ludlow and the Thomas Mason) are good deals right now. In store I got the Ludlow dress shirts for about $40 each. I picked up two Thomas Mason shirts as well. I needed workhorse shirts for the week and got a bunch (two white, two blue pattern, one pink). I may pick up more. I prefer the main J Crew line shirts to stuff like Brooks Brothers's non OCBD offerings as they fit a bit slimmer and are not non-iron. The Thomas Mason shirts are a good deal at about $100; they are better shirts than Thomas Pink IMO. The Thomas Mason royal oxford in pink is one of the best pink dress shirts I have owned.

Thanks for the info.

 

Not a fan of how the Ludlows fit, need to try Thomas Masons...but at $100 a pop, I'm better off sticking to ESF BB.

post #533 of 976
I have BB ESF, Jcrew regular, Jcrew TM and Kamakura.

Jcrew TM uses pretty nice fabric but it's definitely not worth anywhere close $100. I paid $75 for it and even at that price, I rather go with BB ESF shrits or Kamakura shirts. The collars are way too small for my taste. From my own experienece, I say BB ESF shirts and Kamakura shirts are a better deal from the price range between $50 to $100.

Not to mention, the TM shirts do not offer any neck sizes or sleeve sizes and simply use XS to XL.
post #534 of 976
I unfortunately bought a few ludlow shirts last year. I think they're terrible. The collar is odd, too small, and the fit is either too big in a large or too small in a medium. I found a much better alternative in JC Penney dress shirts, believe it or not.

But I love the "washed" shirts. Can't get enough of those. And no, don't tailor those. They're casual shirts, don't overthink the fit.
post #535 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

I unfortunately bought a few ludlow shirts last year. I think they're terrible. The collar is odd, too small, and the fit is either too big in a large or too small in a medium. I found a much better alternative in JC Penney dress shirts, believe it or not.

But I love the "washed" shirts. Can't get enough of those. And no, don't tailor those. They're casual shirts, don't overthink the fit.

I tried one of those ludlow shirts when I saw them heavily discounted in store. It was too short, too wide, and the collars didn't come close to touching down.... not sure how J. Crew came up with that fit...
post #536 of 976
JC fans. How is the Nylon Snorkel Parka? What's your thought on it? It's around $350 right now, but can be had for $260 at the current sale.

Is it worth it at this price or is it better to save up and buy the ubquitous Canda Goose.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/nylon/PRDOVR~05671/05671.jsp

EDIT: I'm not sure why Jcrew keeps on linking me to the wrong jacket. But if it doesn't link you to the snorkel, it's called the Snorkel constructed in Nylon with only the navy colorway available.
post #537 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

JC fans. How is the Nylon Snorkel Parka? What's your thought on it? It's around $350 right now, but can be had for $260 at the current sale.

Is it worth it at this price or is it better to save up and buy the ubquitous Canda Goose.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/nylon/PRDOVR~05671/05671.jsp

EDIT: I'm not sure why Jcrew keeps on linking me to the wrong jacket. But if it doesn't link you to the snorkel, it's called the Snorkel constructed in Nylon with only the navy colorway available.

Yep, I've been looking at this one, too (the snorkel parka). I'm not sure. I haven't seen it real life. Looks good here, but I'd be interested in hearing what others who've seen it have to say.

And yeah, there's something oddly wrong with the link.

This one, right?
post #538 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post


Yep, I've been looking at this one, too (the snorkel parka). I'm not sure. I haven't seen it real life. Looks good here, but I'd be interested in hearing what others who've seen it have to say.

And yeah, there's something oddly wrong with the link.

This one, right?

that's the one. 

post #539 of 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

that's the one. 

I do like it quite a bit from the photos. But yeah, is it worth $250 or so (and that's with the 30 percent)? I dunno.
post #540 of 976
Lol, everything I like at J Crew always gets bad reviews on this thread... At $40 or so it's hard to beat the regular Ludlow, IMO. The collar width works for me, and they take ties very well. The J Crew (either ludlow or TM) fit me pretty perfectly OTR (I wear them tucked in with trousers or suits). I wore my white one today. BB ESF oxfords are great, but I can't really buy the rest as they are non-iron (which I don't wear). So for spread collar shirts I've gone with J Crew for a variety of patterns and colors (stripe, gingham, blue, white and pink).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013