Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 5:08 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama - Page 2post #16 of 4810/3/12 at 8:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 4810/4/12 at 8:37amThread Starterpost #18 of 4810/4/12 at 8:48amThread Starter
Thanks for the input. To sum things up for now:
Romney Wins but then again, what were Obama's choices. Short hair does look best on him.
Both wore pants a bit too long. But overall Obama's suit fit him better on the shoulders.
I guess a choice of personal preference. Red means more American? Not sure about this statement but worth quoting... =)
Personally I like Obama's tie better but Romney's tie was more effective in grabbing the audiences attention. Points to Romney.
Clear Points to Obama for the slight dimple and a better job in pairing it to his collar spread.
As expected, things were kept at a minimum. Personally I think Obama's black leather and silver wrist watch was much classier than Romney's stainless steel one. Yes, Romney's flag pin was bigger, and while in no way more stylish, was more effective given the occasion.
Suit was too big and sleeves were to short. Bad choice on the tie. Collar spread of the shirt was also too narrow for his face and neck.
Any other thoughts?
Hpost #19 of 4810/4/12 at 1:20pmThread Starter
Alright. Thanks again for the input. My article was just published:
Let me know if anything should be added or changed.
Hpost #20 of 4810/4/12 at 1:54pmpost #21 of 4810/4/12 at 4:00pmpost #22 of 4810/4/12 at 5:03pmpost #23 of 4810/4/12 at 5:37pmQuote:
Sharpton has been killing it.
I like the Kudlow report (Sharpton is on prior) so I always catch the tail end of his rants. Great suits, wonder if he goes bespoke?post #24 of 4810/4/12 at 11:17pmpost #25 of 4810/6/12 at 10:56amQuote:
The goal is to appeal to Joe Sixpack...so they put him into a not too expensive looking suit, which meets small town America's perception how a suit should look (i.e. boxy with much too long pants - everything would be European or gay), and nail a giant flag pin on his lapel.post #26 of 4810/6/12 at 11:02ampost #27 of 4810/6/12 at 12:44pmQuote:
Mitt Romney’s flag pin: What’s that star on the stripes?
As armies of pundits and fact-checkers inspected every phrase and shrug of Mitt Romney and President Obama in Wednesday’s debate, we got this message from a high-level foreign affairs specialist:
“What is that black spot on Romney’s pin? It’s driving me crazy!”
The dot on Romney’s oversize American flag pin is the Secret Service star logo imposed over the stripes, a custom version created for agents and fans. The pin — for decorative purposes only, not security clearance — was a gift to Romney from his protective detail, but it’s also sold at the Secret Service store in Washington and traded by staffers, just like Olympic pins.
Call us shallow, but we seem to spend waay too much time checking out politicians’ lapels. Not since Madeleine Albright have chest pins been such a big deal — why, now it’s almost politically incorrect for any candidate to show up with a naked suit, as Obama found out in 2007, when the presidential candidate was called out by a reporter for not sporting the flag.
“My attitude is that I’m less concerned about what you’re wearing on your lapel than what’s in your heart,” he told a campaign crowd in Iowa. But the pin came back — and stayed.
The tradition only goes back about 40 years, when Richard Nixon started wearing a flag lapel pin regularly. Nixon biographer Stephen Ambrose wrote that the president, besieged by anti-war protests, got the idea from his chief of staff, Bob Haldeman — who picked it up (we are not making this up) from Robert Redford’s 1972 film, “The Candidate.” The lapel pin started as a Republican gesture; after 9/11, politicians from both parties donned the pins as symbols of patriotism and solidarity.
Today, a simple American flag is just the beginning. The new trend is to customize: Romney has worn the Secret Service lapel pin (Paul Ryan wears what appears to be a variant) and occasionally a flag with a GOP elephant. During the Republican debates, Newt Gingrich wore a pin of the flag that George Washington used in the Revolutionary War. So far, the president and Joe Biden are sticking to the classic American flag pin.
Not everyone liked Romney’s flag pin: Esquire’s Kurt Soller had no problem with the Secret Service logo, but thought it was too big: “Wearing a larger pin — which, in itself, is a piece of jewelry, though probably a pretty cheap one — just served, for me at least, to underline the wealth that’s come from all his business success. It’s a weird show of machismo.”
Hey, everybody’s a critic.post #28 of 4810/6/12 at 2:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frankie22Quote:
Sharpton has been killing it.
I like the Kudlow report (Sharpton is on prior) so I always catch the tail end of his rants. Great suits, wonder if he goes bespoke?
Most likely as he's actually a very small man with a big head.
I saw him at Reagan National and was very surprised at how short he really is.post #29 of 4810/6/12 at 2:24pmpost #30 of 4810/6/12 at 2:28pmQuote:
Kudlow's stuff is definitely bespoke. I want to say Logsdail but that could be entirely made up.
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Best Hair Styling Products for Men? 4 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 31 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 39 seconds ago
- › Smoking Jacket, Dinner Jacket question 6 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 7 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 10 minutes ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 12 minutes ago
- › ***SW&D Photography Thread*** 13 minutes ago
- › End of Bills Khakis 13 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...