Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 11/15/13 at 12:30pm in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
- whnay.'s good taste thread Last post on 3/1/14 at 8:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama - Page 2post #16 of 4810/3/12 at 8:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 4810/4/12 at 8:37amThread Starterpost #18 of 4810/4/12 at 8:48amThread Starter
Thanks for the input. To sum things up for now:
Romney Wins but then again, what were Obama's choices. Short hair does look best on him.
Both wore pants a bit too long. But overall Obama's suit fit him better on the shoulders.
I guess a choice of personal preference. Red means more American? Not sure about this statement but worth quoting... =)
Personally I like Obama's tie better but Romney's tie was more effective in grabbing the audiences attention. Points to Romney.
Clear Points to Obama for the slight dimple and a better job in pairing it to his collar spread.
As expected, things were kept at a minimum. Personally I think Obama's black leather and silver wrist watch was much classier than Romney's stainless steel one. Yes, Romney's flag pin was bigger, and while in no way more stylish, was more effective given the occasion.
Suit was too big and sleeves were to short. Bad choice on the tie. Collar spread of the shirt was also too narrow for his face and neck.
Any other thoughts?
Hpost #19 of 4810/4/12 at 1:20pmThread Starter
Alright. Thanks again for the input. My article was just published:
Let me know if anything should be added or changed.
Hpost #20 of 4810/4/12 at 1:54pmpost #21 of 4810/4/12 at 4:00pmpost #22 of 4810/4/12 at 5:03pmpost #23 of 4810/4/12 at 5:37pmQuote:
Sharpton has been killing it.
I like the Kudlow report (Sharpton is on prior) so I always catch the tail end of his rants. Great suits, wonder if he goes bespoke?post #24 of 4810/4/12 at 11:17pmpost #25 of 4810/6/12 at 10:56amQuote:
The goal is to appeal to Joe Sixpack...so they put him into a not too expensive looking suit, which meets small town America's perception how a suit should look (i.e. boxy with much too long pants - everything would be European or gay), and nail a giant flag pin on his lapel.post #26 of 4810/6/12 at 11:02ampost #27 of 4810/6/12 at 12:44pmQuote:
Mitt Romney’s flag pin: What’s that star on the stripes?
As armies of pundits and fact-checkers inspected every phrase and shrug of Mitt Romney and President Obama in Wednesday’s debate, we got this message from a high-level foreign affairs specialist:
“What is that black spot on Romney’s pin? It’s driving me crazy!”
The dot on Romney’s oversize American flag pin is the Secret Service star logo imposed over the stripes, a custom version created for agents and fans. The pin — for decorative purposes only, not security clearance — was a gift to Romney from his protective detail, but it’s also sold at the Secret Service store in Washington and traded by staffers, just like Olympic pins.
Call us shallow, but we seem to spend waay too much time checking out politicians’ lapels. Not since Madeleine Albright have chest pins been such a big deal — why, now it’s almost politically incorrect for any candidate to show up with a naked suit, as Obama found out in 2007, when the presidential candidate was called out by a reporter for not sporting the flag.
“My attitude is that I’m less concerned about what you’re wearing on your lapel than what’s in your heart,” he told a campaign crowd in Iowa. But the pin came back — and stayed.
The tradition only goes back about 40 years, when Richard Nixon started wearing a flag lapel pin regularly. Nixon biographer Stephen Ambrose wrote that the president, besieged by anti-war protests, got the idea from his chief of staff, Bob Haldeman — who picked it up (we are not making this up) from Robert Redford’s 1972 film, “The Candidate.” The lapel pin started as a Republican gesture; after 9/11, politicians from both parties donned the pins as symbols of patriotism and solidarity.
Today, a simple American flag is just the beginning. The new trend is to customize: Romney has worn the Secret Service lapel pin (Paul Ryan wears what appears to be a variant) and occasionally a flag with a GOP elephant. During the Republican debates, Newt Gingrich wore a pin of the flag that George Washington used in the Revolutionary War. So far, the president and Joe Biden are sticking to the classic American flag pin.
Not everyone liked Romney’s flag pin: Esquire’s Kurt Soller had no problem with the Secret Service logo, but thought it was too big: “Wearing a larger pin — which, in itself, is a piece of jewelry, though probably a pretty cheap one — just served, for me at least, to underline the wealth that’s come from all his business success. It’s a weird show of machismo.”
Hey, everybody’s a critic.post #28 of 4810/6/12 at 2:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frankie22Quote:
Sharpton has been killing it.
I like the Kudlow report (Sharpton is on prior) so I always catch the tail end of his rants. Great suits, wonder if he goes bespoke?
Most likely as he's actually a very small man with a big head.
I saw him at Reagan National and was very surprised at how short he really is.post #29 of 4810/6/12 at 2:24pmpost #30 of 4810/6/12 at 2:28pmQuote:
Kudlow's stuff is definitely bespoke. I want to say Logsdail but that could be entirely made up.
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Viberg Boots 27 seconds ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 1 minute ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 3 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › 5 Tips to find the best pair of shoes for... by mahnoormalik
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw