or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which major shoe makers come without a metal shank?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which major shoe makers come without a metal shank? - Page 2

post #16 of 21
I gotta say, I'm not sure why so many people have an issue with your question; this place is full of people obsessive over what kind of thread is used in their goodyear welted shoes and whether their buttons are caroso or horn. The shank material should be quite high on the obsessive scale.

I reiterate though; ask the companies involved. I was doing a project a little while ago and I wanted info on how they sourced their cork and leather and almost every company was more than willing to give me the time of day. I'm certain that a quick email will give you all the information - direct from the horses mouth.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 

Just as maybe the final update to this thread a year later,  I took the advice provided and checked in with the companies first, at this point I can confirm that Alfred Sargent and Gaziano and Girling do not set off metal detectors.  At this point I'm thinking maybe only Alden does!

 

Does anyone know if metal toe taps would be enough to set off standard metal detectors?

 

I'm down to one last pair (of Aldens in my rotation) that I have to replace and then it will be smooth sailing every morning at work!

 

The detector-triggering stepchild in the rear...

post #18 of 21
Thanks for the update, it is always good when a user finds the answer to their question and then shares the knowledge for the betterment of the community.

Your new shoes look great, and it seems like a good excuse to buy more shoes!
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post

Does anyone know if metal toe taps would be enough to set off standard metal detectors?

Certainly not - I often keep my dress belt on at airport security (basically always unless I am told be security to take it off) and the metal detector goes rarely off.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsuo View Post
 

Just as maybe the final update to this thread a year later,  I took the advice provided and checked in with the companies first, at this point I can confirm that Alfred Sargent and Gaziano and Girling do not set off metal detectors.  At this point I'm thinking maybe only Alden does!

 

Does anyone know if metal toe taps would be enough to set off standard metal detectors?

 

I'm down to one last pair (of Aldens in my rotation) that I have to replace and then it will be smooth sailing every morning at work!

 

The detector-triggering stepchild in the rear...

 

Are those Alden, 907, straight-tip bal on the Hampton last in the rear? I have those same exact shoes, I also live in DC, and work in a government facility (Cap Hill) and yes they set off the detectors every day. I'm curious where you work where you have to take your shoes off to pass if they set off the detector. In my experience, even places like Langley, if you are a FT direct employee you don't have to take your shoes off.

 

I'm the opposite, I have alden's, church's, and c&j's and when it comes to long day comfort and support, the alden's win out precisely due to the quality of the shank. Church's are fiberboard/thin steel strip (nothing like alden's robust offering) and c&j's are wood. After 12 hours, I can tell the difference big time. The Alden steel shank makes a difference, no question about that.

post #21 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardboiled View Post
 

 

Are those Alden, 907, straight-tip bal on the Hampton last in the rear? I have those same exact shoes, I also live in DC, and work in a government facility (Cap Hill) and yes they set off the detectors every day. I'm curious where you work where you have to take your shoes off to pass if they set off the detector. In my experience, even places like Langley, if you are a FT direct employee you don't have to take your shoes off.

 

I'm the opposite, I have alden's, church's, and c&j's and when it comes to long day comfort and support, the alden's win out precisely due to the quality of the shank. Church's are fiberboard/thin steel strip (nothing like alden's robust offering) and c&j's are wood. After 12 hours, I can tell the difference big time. The Alden steel shank makes a difference, no question about that.

Wow, I'm still on this site 3 years later.  I'm not sure how that makes me feel!;)  I can now say that metal toe taps do not set off metal detectors at work or the airport--in the pre-check line.

 

@Hardboiled, I believe the Aldens pictured are the 907s.  I have only ever had to take them off on the hill when they set off the detectors entering some Congressional office building.  I haven't made that mistake again.  At my office you do not have to take your shoes off if they have metal in them, but you do get a second "wand-ing", which get's annoying every time I enter the building.  So I've since rotated away from Aldens.  

 

To be honest, while Aldens are good shoes, in time, I crossed into the realm of the very nice--and needlessly expensive.  

 

I don't doubt your assertions about the comfort of Aldens, I appreciated them for many years.  I even tried to give them a new life with my dad but he's addicted to his disposable rubber soled dress shoes.  Oh well.  

 

I considered keeping some for myself, but I've only got one set of feet so I'm selling off my last few pairs. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which major shoe makers come without a metal shank?