Great topic guys. We, at Vastrm, just joined this great community as an affiliate member. We currently offer a luxury line of polos that offer a unique twist to how these shirts are typically purchased. First, we allow our customers to custom style their shirts with a variety of trim types, placket accents, collar constructions, pocket configurations, etc... Secondly, we can custom size our shirts by trimming or tapering the waist, adding to sleeve length or lengthening/shortening the bottom hem. We have several fit types to choose from as well. We recently had a black friday black polo special that allowed folks to try any of our black fabrics for a pretty hefty discount. See ad below:
And our first response from a fellow SF member in Australia: http://www.styleforum.net/t/323503/vastrm-fashion-official-affiliate-thread
Our shirt come logo-less!
And as for wear and tear: Take a look at a test we ran washing your average off the rack polo knit against one of ours! It resisted shrinking, fading, pilling and curling after 20 industrial strength washes.
Meanwhile, here are my comments and rankings for the polo's you mentioned above:
1. Ralph Lauren - their RL custom cut is a great trim fit, but front length is a bit long for many body types.
2. Fred Perry - great democratic fit here. Solid cut, design and fabrics
3. Burberry - agreed that I don't like nova check on every single placket. But must own at least one.
4. Lacoste - Pretty standard fare here. Plackets are wide not too stylish, but fabric is great!
5. Penguin - This is one logo I don't mind wearing for some reason. Trim fits are great and their styles are quite unique in their retro way.
6. Brooks Brother - Great fabrics, timeless cuts.
7. Nautica - I liked them better when David Chu was around :)
8. Abercrombie and Fitch - Great for the younger crowd and if you want something sporty
9. Boss - Have friends that swear by this brand. I'll have to check them out again.
10. Tommy Hilfiger - meh
11.Canterbury - have not seen their wares yet.
Hope to be spending more time learning about all of you! Also, would love to do a special design, limited run SF polo for community members. Let me know if this is something that might interest you and we can start a collaboration process!