or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 25

post #361 of 443

I have recently ordered a suit from Simon at Elite Suits. I decided to send one of my current suits to him and get his tailors to copy the measurements. I also needed hidden elastic at the sides, no belt loops, buttons for braces and a special yoked back of the trousers. I found Simon to be VERY honest. He helped with Choice of fabrics, exact colours of fabrics etc etc. He was very generous with his time and help. The website is rather awkward but after spending some time with it I now know how to go about things. Basically you choose the style of suit (of dictate your own), choose the construction method, choose the fabric and if you're confused send through your preferences through to Simon and he will tell you how much it will cost. The suit came back PERFECT!!!!!!! Construction, pants, jacket, lining etc etc............... WOW. I decided to go with EliteSuits because after a trip to Hoi An in Vietnam I return with 7 fantastic suits that fit perfectly. However, the tailors had left some tailor chalk on them around the chest pockets so I sent them through to be drycleaned. Now, I use this drycleaner all the time and they are very reliable. ALL the jackets came back delaminated and bubbled................ there was a tantrum. So from now on I decided to ONLY have fully canvassed construction. I need custom made suits because I am a orchestral violinist by profession and a body builder, 6.4ft 128kg. Simons company copied the dimensions of my well fitting but wrecked suit to perfection. The first thing did when I got it was to have the jacket drycleaned. I did this to check the construction quality etc........... No need to worry, everything went perfectly. One more point that was very nice, all hand sewn button holes on the jacket, sleeves and pants. A very very classy touch. I will be ordering my wedding parties suits from EliteSuits, and all my performance tuxedo's and everyday suits and jackets. I have had bespoke tailors in Australia and New Zealand and the product from Elite Suits is just as good BUT it is fully canvassed. I would LOVE to buy Brioni and Kiton but I can't afford them. EliteSuits suits are worn in some very classy functions and on stage and fit in very well. Sincerely Michael

post #362 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyhalle View Post
 

I have recently ordered a suit from Simon at Elite Suits....

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I decided to send one of my current suits to him and get his tailors to copy the measurements. I also needed hidden elastic at the sides, no belt loops, buttons for braces and a special yoked back of the trousers. I found Simon to be VERY honest. He helped with Choice of fabrics, exact colours of fabrics etc etc. He was very generous with his time and help. The website is rather awkward but after spending some time with it I now know how to go about things. Basically you choose the style of suit (of dictate your own), choose the construction method, choose the fabric and if you're confused send through your preferences through to Simon and he will tell you how much it will cost. The suit came back PERFECT!!!!!!! Construction, pants, jacket, lining etc etc............... WOW. I decided to go with EliteSuits because after a trip to Hoi An in Vietnam I return with 7 fantastic suits that fit perfectly. However, the tailors had left some tailor chalk on them around the chest pockets so I sent them through to be drycleaned. Now, I use this drycleaner all the time and they are very reliable. ALL the jackets came back delaminated and bubbled................ there was a tantrum. So from now on I decided to ONLY have fully canvassed construction. I need custom made suits because I am a orchestral violinist by profession and a body builder, 6.4ft 128kg. Simons company copied the dimensions of my well fitting but wrecked suit to perfection. The first thing did when I got it was to have the jacket drycleaned. I did this to check the construction quality etc........... No need to worry, everything went perfectly. One more point that was very nice, all hand sewn button holes on the jacket, sleeves and pants. A very very classy touch. I will be ordering my wedding parties suits from EliteSuits, and all my performance tuxedo's and everyday suits and jackets. I have had bespoke tailors in Australia and New Zealand and the product from Elite Suits is just as good BUT it is fully canvassed. I would LOVE to buy Brioni and Kiton but I can't afford them. EliteSuits suits are worn in some very classy functions and on stage and fit in very well. Sincerely Michael

 

post #363 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyhalle View Post
 

I have recently ordered a suit from Simon at Elite Suits. I decided to send one of my current suits to him and get his tailors to copy the measurements. I also needed hidden elastic at the sides, no belt loops, buttons for braces and a special yoked back of the trousers. I found Simon to be VERY honest. He helped with Choice of fabrics, exact colours of fabrics etc etc. He was very generous with his time and help. The website is rather awkward but after spending some time with it I now know how to go about things. Basically you choose the style of suit (of dictate your own), choose the construction method, choose the fabric and if you're confused send through your preferences through to Simon and he will tell you how much it will cost. The suit came back PERFECT!!!!!!! Construction, pants, jacket, lining etc etc............... WOW. I decided to go with EliteSuits because after a trip to Hoi An in Vietnam I return with 7 fantastic suits that fit perfectly. However, the tailors had left some tailor chalk on them around the chest pockets so I sent them through to be drycleaned. Now, I use this drycleaner all the time and they are very reliable. ALL the jackets came back delaminated and bubbled................ there was a tantrum. So from now on I decided to ONLY have fully canvassed construction. I need custom made suits because I am a orchestral violinist by profession and a body builder, 6.4ft 128kg. Simons company copied the dimensions of my well fitting but wrecked suit to perfection. The first thing did when I got it was to have the jacket drycleaned. I did this to check the construction quality etc........... No need to worry, everything went perfectly. One more point that was very nice, all hand sewn button holes on the jacket, sleeves and pants. A very very classy touch. I will be ordering my wedding parties suits from EliteSuits, and all my performance tuxedo's and everyday suits and jackets. I have had bespoke tailors in Australia and New Zealand and the product from Elite Suits is just as good BUT it is fully canvassed. I would LOVE to buy Brioni and Kiton but I can't afford them. EliteSuits suits are worn in some very classy functions and on stage and fit in very well. Sincerely Michael

...pictures of you wearing it?

post #364 of 443
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post
 

...pictures of you wearing it?

The reason Miyhalle purchased the suit from us is not going to be explained by pictures of him wearing the suit.

 

For a start we had no control over the final fit. He sent us a suit with the instructions to replicate the size exactly which is what we did so his new suit will fit the same as the suit he sent us.

 

On all the online suit threads there is an obsession with fit. Sure, it's important that a suit fits properly but when it gets down to it the quality of the fit depends on the accuracy of the measurements supplied. No tailor has the magical ability to look at a set of measurements then make a suit that fit's perfectly if the measurements are wrong.

 

Tailors look at a set of measurements add an allowance for body movement then cut the suit. So no matter where you buy from if you say you have a chest measurement of 90cm then you suit is going to come back with a finished chest measurement of somewhere near 100cm. We can't do it any better then other suit companies and they can't do it any better than us.

 

Miyhalle bought his suit from us for reasons of getting a high quality suit at a good price, He had some specific tailoring requirements that you won't find on a normal suit that our specialist bespoke tailors could do. It required some special cutting and a lot of hand stitching which you won't get from 99% of online suit companies and even most shop based tailors can't do it today as they only outsource their tailoring to the Asian suit factories. If he did find a tailor that could do it he would have paid at least double the price.

 

At Elite Suits it's all about having the choice to get exactly the suit you want. Miyhalle chose the grade of fabric he wanted, he chose the standard of tailoring and exactly the style of suit he wanted and got it all for a great price.

 

Try and do that at most suit shops today who have suits made at cookie cutter factories that churn out hundreds of the same suits every day.

 

A top quality properly tailored suit can always be tweaked to fit properly. A cheap crap suit is always going to be a cheap crap suit no matter what you do to it.

post #365 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon at Elite View Post
On all the online suit threads there is an obsession with fit. Sure, it's important that a suit fits properly but when it gets down to it the quality of the fit depends on the accuracy of the measurements supplied. No tailor has the magical ability to look at a set of measurements then make a suit that fit's perfectly if the measurements are wrong.

 

What you have just said strikes me as the best argument you could possibly make against online MTM for anyone on this forum. It is indeed why I would never, ever, use an online MTM service for something as 'big' as a suit. Fit is the fundamental element of CM. It is not just 'important' that a suit fits properly, it is the basic ground for everything else. If you you are trying to underplay it to the point of telling us that we can't tell from a customer's pictures whether or not a suit is a successful product, then that would seem to be a pretty serious issue for SF members.

 

For almost anyone who has had any expereince of real world bespoke or MTM, the whole point of working directly with a professional fitter (whether for full bespoke or MTM) is that they know things that the customer does not know about fit, fabric qualities etc etc. The customer does not know what is best, the customer has some idea of what they want and relies on the expertise of the fitter to translate this into what they need to achieve that. The cutters etc. then translate this into the physical object. Of course online MTM can't do this exactly yet - better communication technologies may soon allow more of an interaction between an 'online fitter' and customer. But surely it can still be more than 'these are the measurements the customer wanted, they are happy, I'm happy - and no, you don't need to see the results'.

 

What you are saying here is that your goal is met if you end up with customers who have had a 'successful' experience so long as it is only their own perception that is brought to bear on the product. But surely, the goal of an MTM or bespoke service is to end up with customers whose 'success' is not just in their own minds but is undeniably evident to others too, especially those with knowledge of style (whether or not they agree with any particular aesthetic aspect of the suit)? Not least because those others are your pool of potential future customers. So yes, for us, we do need to be able to see the finished product being worn to get some idea whether the product is a success. It can be contextualized, of course - "this suit was designed in this way because I am using it for X, Y or Z", but to judge the outcome of an MTM process, we can't rely on gushing testimonials with no physical evidence.

post #366 of 443
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
 

 

For almost anyone who has had any expereince of real world bespoke or MTM, the whole point of working directly with a professional fitter (whether for full bespoke or MTM) is that they know things that the customer does not know about fit, fabric qualities etc etc. The customer does not know what is best, the customer has some idea of what they want and relies on the expertise of the fitter to translate this into what they need to achieve that. The cutters etc. then translate this into the physical object. Of course online MTM can't do this exactly yet - better communication technologies may soon allow more of an interaction between an 'online fitter' and customer. But surely it can still be more than 'these are the measurements the customer wanted, they are happy, I'm happy - and no, you don't need to see the results'.

 

 

 

I agree completely but aren't you really talking about the top end of the market with suits costing $2,000, $3,000 or even more?

 

If you go into 90% of the so called tailors that have physical stores what you will see is suits and shirts, fabric samples and possibly even some bolts of cloth. What you won't see is any signs of anybody actually making suits and if you go back six months later you will see those same bolts of cloth sitting there untouched.

 

Very few "tailors"now make their own suits and certainly at the sub $1,000 mark everything is outsourced to either Asia or Eastern Europe, You rarely speak to a tailor or fitter rather you're measured by a salesman and they send the measurements off to a factory for the tailoring to be done. In many cases the are all done by machine mass production which is nothing more than a cookie cutter process where they simply turn out the same suit time after time. There is little if any room for customisation even as little as changing the lapel width, armhole size or buttoning position.

 

There is a difference though. When the suit arrives they will call you in for a fitting then have the finished suit altered. It's not free though, it's included in the price of the suit and is why you end up paying $800 plus for a fused suit (or if you're lucky a half canvas). If you buy online this last step is something you need to do yourself. Most online suit sellers (including us) have some provision for post delivery alterations and we have our own No Worries Guarantee which even covers those few times where the suit needs major alterations or even replaced.

 

With the specific customisations he requested there is no way I could have sent Miyhalle's suit to a factory. In fact, I didn't even use our standard tailors and in order to get the result he wanted I sent it to one of our specialist bespoke tailors. He's happy because he got the suit he wanted with all the customisations he asked for, in a decent fabric, fully canvassed and still got quite a lot of change our of $1,000 which even included the cost of shipping his own suit there and back so the sizing could be replicated

 

Most suit companies today,either online or in store, don't even offer the option of having your suit fully canvassed as it would need to be pulled off the production line and have the canvas sewn into place by a trained tailor so you can forget asking for things such as fully hand stitched buttonholes as we did on this suit especially for the price he paid.

 

People that want a suit to be millimetre perfect are never going to be my customers. However, we're building a customer base of people who want a quality suit at a value for money price. We will make you a full canvas suit made from genuine Holland & Sherry fabric for as low as $699 and if you want we're more than happy to make it in a standard off the rack size.

 

When I see fused suits made from cheap generic fabric on shop racks selling for much more than this which one is going to be better value? Which is going to last longer? The cheaply made fused suit or a full canvas suit made from a world class fabric? Furthermore we offer the option of various tailoring methods from a standard suit right up to our "Rockstar & Royalty"standard which is fully hand stitched by a tailor that does nothing else but make suits to a full bespoke standard and uses nothing but the best of everything.

 

Yes it's about meeting customer expectations and when we can exceeding them. It's about providing the best quality for the price. Fit issues can be fixed but a cheap suit is always a cheap suit no matter what you do to it. I don't think customer buying a suit under $1,000 online expects the same absolutely perfect fit as a $3,000 suit purchased from a bespoke tailor (I'll point out though I've seen some expensive so-called bespoke suits that are a terrible fit).

 

Also online MTM is a process.The goal is to get a reasonably close fit on the first suit and use that as a template. For the second suit you can tweak the measurements to improve the fit further and again for the third. We have customers who make orders who can't tweak their measurements again to improve the fit. True it might not fit to your standard but it does to theirs and when 90% of suits sold today are still standard measurements off the rack it probably fits better then the guy's suit at the next office as well as being better quality and in many cases cheaper

post #367 of 443
Thread Starter 

Why are you paying $500 or more for a fused canvas suit?

 

Here are My Thoughts on Suit Canvas Methods

post #368 of 443

Hi Simon,

 

Do you have a mannequin? Is it possible for you to put some of the jackets you have had commissioned for yourself, on those mannequins? That way we can see the how the high quality fabric drapes, and the suiting block that your Chinese tailors use?

post #369 of 443
Thread Starter 

Just how important are "S"numbers when choosing a suit fabric?

 

You can read my thoughts on the subject HERE

 

One important paragraph you should remember when buying a suit

 

Vintage suits were not slapped together by machines in a factory using a fused canvas and cheap poor quality wool. They were made by hand, fully canvassed and made from a high quality wool from one of the worlds great clothmakers.

post #370 of 443

this thread reads like if Bernie Madoff ran an online mtm suit company.

post #371 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohare View Post

this thread reads like if Bernie Madoff ran an online mtm suit company.

Lmao
post #372 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon at Elite View Post

Just how important are "S"numbers when choosing a suit fabric?

You can read my thoughts on the subject HERE

One important paragraph you should remember when buying a suit

Vintage suits were not slapped together by machines in a factory using a fused canvas and cheap poor quality wool. They were made by hand, fully canvassed and made from a high quality wool from one of the worlds great clothmakers.

People want to see your pictures. You do a good job writing your thoughts by being unnecessarily wordy. A pic says a thousand words. ...just saying
Edited by kulata - 12/30/13 at 3:47am
post #373 of 443

You don't even need to have fit pics.

 

Perhaps just start with some pictures of the inside of the jacket, or the finishing on the lapels?

post #374 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
 

You don't even need to have fit pics.

 

Perhaps just start with some pictures of the inside of the jacket, or the finishing on the lapels?

 

I agree that the website needs more detailed pics of the products but I also understand that in Elitesuits case each line or level is just a difference of quality fabric and construction as the customer is supposed to design his own style. So having a specific photo of a certain trim would end up misleading most customer's expectations.

 

I'll drop an order sometime this year to check them out. Preferably when I'm in Sydney so I can also drop by for a visit.

post #375 of 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva View Post
 

I'll drop an order sometime this year to check them out. Preferably when I'm in Sydney so I can also drop by for a visit.

That's the problem. There is no where to visit!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread