or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 14

post #196 of 444
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute In Cali View Post

 

This suit doesn't look bad for $999...but better than Tom Ford?  No.  

As I said, what someone likes in a suit is very much in the eye of the individual and accordingly your statement is very much a valid opinion. However, I'd be interested in why you think the Tom Ford is a better suit. If you like the design of the original better then I can understand that as different people like different things which makes it important to remember that the suit was made to the requirements of the purchaser and is what he liked in his suit not what you and I may prefer

 

Designers are rich for a reason and the $2 label on the suit with a designers name is often worth far more at retail level than the rest of the suit, Certainly the fabric and tailoring used in no way justifies the selling price of the original

post #197 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


It might not hurt your image if you tried, at least once, to make a pithy comment.

You are misguided because you blithely say that this guy's suit doesn't have the high end features for which me would purchase a Tom Ford because he didn't want them, yet try to sell us on the idea that he thinks the suit is better than a Tom Ford. I would bet that he doesn't know what a Milanese buttonhole is. That's fine. A lot of people don't. But I'm not going to rely on that person's judgment to conclude that his ugly, mismatched suit is better than one of the best available, because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

These types of arguments just make you (and others) seem like a senselessly instigating fool.  Maybe the customer doesn't know what those features are, but it's just as likely that he knows exactly what they are and purposely left them out because he doesn't think that they're as "high end" as you do...senseless arguing.

 

If you're "not going to rely on that person's judgment," then you should order a suit and judge for yourself. If you won't do that either, then why do you keep coming back?...to instigate...to get the last word. These internet arguments are idiotic.

post #198 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

These types of arguments just make you (and others) seem like a senselessly instigating fools. Maybe the customer doesn't know what those features are, but it's just as likely that he knows exactly what they are and purposely left them out because he doesn't think that they're as "high end" as you do...senseless arguing.

If you're "not going to rely on that person's judgment," then you should order a suit and judge for yourself. If you won't do that either, then why do you keep coming back?...to instigate...to get the last word. These internet arguments are idiotic.

I disagree with you completely. There are many places, like used car lots, where we have no ability to tell a huckster to stop being a huckster. An Internet forum is not one of them.

If this guy wanted me to but a suit, I'm not that hard to convince: clear pictures and concise explanation of the benefits usually works for me. That has not been provided. Instead we get facially absurd arguments about a suit being better than a Tom Ford, based on a fake sounding endorsement from a "CEO." We see these sorts of practices all the time in circumstances that allow no response. When they're made in an online community, I can and will respond.
post #199 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


I disagree with you completely. There are many places, like used car lots, where we have no ability to tell a huckster to stop being a huckster. An Internet forum is not one of them.

If this guy wanted me to but a suit, I'm not that hard to convince: clear pictures and concise explanation of the benefits usually works for me. That has not been provided. Instead we get facially absurd arguments about a suit being better than a Tom Ford, based on a fake sounding endorsement from a "CEO." We see these sorts of practices all the time in circumstances that allow no response. When they're made in an online community, I can and will respond.

Of course you disagree, because you want to continue this senseless argument with your faux-logic. The options that I listed (move on or buy and judge for yourself) still stand. Beyond that, you're just engaging in typical internet twattery, and it's not accomplishing a thing.

 

I'd like to see more fit pictures too, but they have to be taken by the purchasers, not the seller. If customers don't send pictures, then  he can't post them. If more of us bought suits and posted pictures, then the problem would be solved, but people would rather do nothing and throw sissy-fits because others won't solve the problem for them.

 

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to continue this conversation, but I am interested in seeing more about the product.

post #200 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

Of course you disagree, because you want to continue this senseless argument with your faux-logic. The options that I listed (move on or buy and judge for yourself) still stand. Beyond that, you're just engaging in typical internet twattery, and it's not accomplishing a thing.

I'd like to see more fit pictures too, but they have to be taken by the purchasers, not the seller. If customers don't send pictures, then  he can't post them. If more of us bought suits and posted pictures, then the problem would be solved, but people would rather do nothing and throw sissy-fits because others won't solve the problem for them.

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to continue this conversation, but I am interested in seeing more about the product.

So now you're distinguishing me from the people on Internet forums, apparently like you, who accomplish things with their posts. I always had the strange idea that Internet discussion forums were intended to accomplish discussion. In any case, I certainly never labored under a delusion that they accomplished anything more.

And you're omitting a very important third option: continue to buy suits from people who don't talk to me like they assume I'm a sucker. I think I will stick with that one.
post #201 of 444
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


It might not hurt your image if you tried, at least once, to make a pithy comment.

You are misguided because you blithely say that this guy's suit doesn't have the high end features for which me would purchase a Tom Ford because he didn't want them, yet try to sell us on the idea that he thinks the suit is better than a Tom Ford. I would bet that he doesn't know what a Milanese buttonhole is. That's fine. A lot of people don't. But I'm not going to rely on that person's judgment to conclude that his ugly, mismatched suit is better than one of the best available, because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

OK I understand a little better now but aren't we simply talking about different tailoring techniques? I find it hard to accept that techniques such as a milanese style buttonhole makes a better suit unless it was something you particularly wanted. It's not something you will find on most Savile Row suits and just because it's a technique used on a Tom ford suit doesn't necessarily make it a desirable feature on every suit. I have never had anyone point to a suit and say hey look that buttonhole is wound around the gimp in the milanese style rather than just knotted. It raises the stitching and makes the buttonholes more dominant and while that may be important in your suit it's not a feature everybody wants. It's not something I would have done in my suits.

 

To 98% of suit buyers it's the quality of the fabric and the standard of the tailoring that makes a great suit If the style of the cut is right then a final fitting after the suit is delivered and a slight tweak gets the fit close to perfect. Sure there is always the few that will want some special features in their suit and most can be accommodated. If Ii asked the tailor for features such as a milanese style buttonhole or other special tailoring technique he would have made one but in this case it wasn't a requested feature.

 

Like you I'm a fan of the Tom Ford style and think they are great suits but in this case there are some features the customer either didn't want or didn't care enough about or specifically wanted changed. To accuse the customer of being ignorant or saying the suit is ugly mismatched because his suit is different to what you would want in your suit is unfair. You may be interested to know that the customer had to have his first Tom Ford suit replaced and their are problems developing in the replacement so even at the top end of designer suits issues still occur. Perhaps the customer prefers his new suit because he's a little frustrated at the hassles he's having with the suit he paid a considerable amount of money for.

 

VinnyMac as usual describes the situation perfectly.  Each to their own

post #202 of 444
I don't think U even need 2 try 1 of these suits 2 see that this is how a suit is suppose 2 fit.

350x700px-LL-444eaa28_IMG_0886.jpeg

So crispy.

Any1 who doubts is just a hater.

You keep makin suits 4 lovers, not 4 haters.
post #203 of 444
How did it take me soooo long 2 find this thread?!?

(Thx gaiz 4 the heads up.... LOL)

I love all your styles

350x700px-LL-6e3756af_SF2.jpeg

That looks like something Ryan Gosling wud wear.
post #204 of 444
Have you sent pics of those shoulders to Foo yet?
post #205 of 444
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

I don't think U even need 2 try 1 of these suits 2 see that this is how a suit is suppose 2 fit.


So crispy.

Any1 who doubts is just a hater.

You keep makin suits 4 lovers, not 4 haters.

For a first effort at a MTM suit I think it's a fairly reasonable outcome. What you need to remember is that while we have processes that do catch many errors at the end of the day we can only make a suit to the measurements a customer provides. No MTM company has a magical ability to tell if those measurements will result in a great fitting suit. The important thing is that has the suit been made to the specifications the customer asked for?

 

If the suit was a complete disaster we would have replaced it under our No Worries Guarantee. Soon I'll be posting pictures of a suit that we replaced at no cost to the customer. However, while there are some things the customer got right there are still some issues that need to be addressed but a little and inexpensive alteration will result in an acceptable fit. Even after the alterations the customer has a full canvas hand tailored suit made from a good suiting wool that will look pretty good and he should still get change out of $500 all up. When compared to what others charge for their mass produced, factory made, fused canvas suits that's still excellent value. It's not unusual for a customers first suit to need some alterations after it's delivered to get a decent fit

 

The customer can now use the altered suit as a template for future orders. We can tweak the original measurements so that the second suit fits better straight out of the box. If he orders a third we can tweak them again so it's very close to a perfect fit. By that time he can then order any suit from the range confident it will be a great fit on delivery.

 

If you order a MTM suit from your local tailor they will send the suit to the factory to be made. The factory has no ability to make a better fitting suit from a set of measurements than anyone else so when the finished suit arrives they will call you into the store for a final fit then have the finished suit altered locally to fit properly. This is included in the original price of the suit. When you order from any online MTM company you need to arrange the final fit and alteration yourself. However you should get a better suit for much less than you will pay in store even including the final alterations.

 

Also people who post pictures of their online suit are posting picture of the suit as it is delivered and too many times without it even being pressed. If it's their first attempt you can almost guarantee it will need at least some alteration.

 

Online MTM with any company is a process. Your chances of getting a great fitting suit on your first attempt that won't need at least some alterations are slim and if you do it's more a case of good luck than anything else. However,if you stick with the process you can get a better quality suit that fits close to perfect at around half the price you would expect to pay in a store

post #206 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon at Elite View Post

For a first effort at a MTM suit I think it's a fairly reasonable outcome. What you need to remember is that while we have processes that do catch many errors at the end of the day we can only make a suit to the measurements a customer provides. No MTM company has a magical ability to tell if those measurements will result in a great fitting suit. The important thing is that has the suit been made to the specifications the customer asked for?

 

If the suit was a complete disaster we would have replaced it under our No Worries Guarantee. Soon I'll be posting pictures of a suit that we replaced at no cost to the customer. However, while there are some things the customer got right there are still some issues that need to be addressed but a little and inexpensive alteration will result in an acceptable fit. Even after the alterations the customer has a full canvas hand tailored suit made from a good suiting wool that will look pretty good and he should still get change out of $500 all up. When compared to what others charge for their mass produced, factory made, fused canvas suits that's still excellent value. It's not unusual for a customers first suit to need some alterations after it's delivered to get a decent fit

 

The customer can now use the altered suit as a template for future orders. We can tweak the original measurements so that the second suit fits better straight out of the box. If he orders a third we can tweak them again so it's very close to a perfect fit. By that time he can then order any suit from the range confident it will be a great fit on delivery.

 

If you order a MTM suit from your local tailor they will send the suit to the factory to be made. The factory has no ability to make a better fitting suit from a set of measurements than anyone else so when the finished suit arrives they will call you into the store for a final fit then have the finished suit altered locally to fit properly. This is included in the original price of the suit. When you order from any online MTM company you need to arrange the final fit and alteration yourself. However you should get a better suit for much less than you will pay in store even including the final alterations.

 

Also people who post pictures of their online suit are posting picture of the suit as it is delivered and too many times without it even being pressed. If it's their first attempt you can almost guarantee it will need at least some alteration.

 

Online MTM with any company is a process. Your chances of getting a great fitting suit on your first attempt that won't need at least some alterations are slim and if you do it's more a case of good luck than anything else. However,if you stick with the process you can get a better quality suit that fits close to perfect at around half the price you would expect to pay in a store


I would like a fit like Express or H & M so do you suggest buying the suit as a template for MTM?

post #207 of 444
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKongoEmpire View Post


I would like a fit like Express or H & M so do you suggest buying the suit as a template for MTM?

 

Most people already own a reasonable fitting jacket and a pair of dress pants. You can use those to get some basic measurements. The most critical measurements for the jacket is the shoulders. So if you have a jacket that's a good shoulder measurement you can replicate that
 
Shoulder - Measure from the seam between the shoulder and the sleeve  to a point 1cm below the centre of the back of the collar then back down to the other shoulder seam. This will result in the tape being slightly curved
 

There are a few other measurements you can get from a good fitting jacket

 

Sleeve length – Measure from the seam where the sleeve joins the shoulder to the end of the sleeve. I normally measure to just past where the wrist becomes the hand 

 

Back Jacket Length -  Measure from directly underneath the collar to the end of the jacket. An accepted jacket length is equal to the knuckles when the hand is resting at the side.

 

Front Jacket Length – Measure from the seam on top of the shoulder as close as possible to the collar down the front to the end of the jacket. An accepted jacket length is equal to the knuckles when the hand is resting at the side.

 

A good fitting pair of dress pants(not jeans) can provide the following

 

Crotch  –  Measure from the very top of the waistband at the front to where the four seams join under the crotch then measure from the very top of the waistband at the back to the same place and add the two measurements together.

 

Outseam – Measure from the top of the waistband at the side and follow the seam to the end of the leg

 

If they are a comfortable fit around the waist you can also use them to get an accurate trouser waist measurements. Do up the zip and buttons and lay the pants perfectly flat on a hard surface. Measure from one side of the waistband to the other and double it.

 

Once you have these all you need then is the torso measurements and they can be easier then it may seem. Simply hold one finger over the part to be measured and get someone to run a tape around. So for the chest simply hold one finger at chest level and get someone to run a tape around the body. The tape should be level and touching the body (and the finger) all the way round without being pulled tight. Then simply run the tape down to the waist, belt level and hips. The same for the bicep, thigh and knee.

 

It's not rocket science and if you can use some existing clothing to help with the lengths then all you need do take extra care with the torso measurements.

 

I suggest doing those three times and working out the average

 

 

 

 

post #208 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon at Elite View Post

If the suit was a complete disaster we would have replaced it under our No Worries Guarantee. Soon I'll be posting pictures of a suit that we replaced at no cost to the customer. However, while there are some things the customer got right there are still some issues that need to be addressed but a little and inexpensive alteration will result in an acceptable fit.

I've watched from the beginning as posts roll in criticizing you guys. My recommendation is to avoid posting photos of mistakes that have been made (whether on the part of the buyer or you). That will only add fuel to the fire. It may keep your thread on page 1, but any marketing consultant would tell you to refrain from posting pictures of a suit that you messed up so bad that you had to offer them something new.

Just my opinion, but think about it.
post #209 of 444
Where have u seen photos of mistakes???

I only see photos of teh steez.

I can not wait 2 post pics of my Elite Suit!!!!!!
post #210 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Where have u seen photos of mistakes???

I only see photos of teh steez.

I can not wait 2 post pics of my Elite Suit!!!!!!

I KNW ryt?! all teh H8trs in dis thread needz to chillaz

wen i post pic of my Elite Suit all teh Steed/Rubinacci/NSM/Chan/TF/Bioni/Kiton lovers are gonna shit teh pants! LAWLz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Elite Suits - Official Affiliate Thread