or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is the shoulder on this MTM suit worth reconstructing? Or better to just have the entire jacket re-made? (pics inside)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the shoulder on this MTM suit worth reconstructing? Or better to just have the entire jacket...

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

So, I made a post about this suit a few weeks back, went to the tailor and tried having the shoulders just trimmed down... got it back today and it looks virtually the same. Good thing is, I'm not paying for any of these alterations but I'm wondering is this even fixable by reconstructing the shoulder? Or would it be best to just re-measure and remake this MTM jacket? The left shoulder just seems too big and that indention is quite glaring... even from the back-view it looks like it's too big, but that may just be how I stand?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 19

That's just plain ugly. Do you have the option of returning it for a smaller size?

post #3 of 19
You have uneven shoulder. You may have to go bespoke.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 

So, 2 responses and no reply as to whether or not reconstructing the shoulder is possible...

post #5 of 19

The shoulder doesn't look too wide - it seems to be just too square and constructed for your sloping shoulders. I'd ask for a full remake with that in mind.

post #6 of 19
You can try posting in the tailors thread as you'd likley get a more educated opinion on it's fixability. For what it's worth, it looks like the same problem that I had with my slimmer fitting suits. It was fixable, the sleevehead just has to be reshaped; but it was really hard to find a tailor that could/would do that, and I had to be extremely explicit in explaining what needed to be done.
post #7 of 19
yes, fixable. Theres a few different ways you could tackle it.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

yes, fixable. Theres a few different ways you could tackle it.

Would it be costly ?
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenning View Post

So, 2 responses and no reply as to whether or not reconstructing the shoulder is possible...

try this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/1815 for a better response...
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yika View Post

Would it be costly ?
Cost me $50 plus tax.
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post


Cost me $50 plus tax.

to reconstruct the shoulder? I'm not too concerned... gonna have it done on Monday, will post pics afterward. Overall I like the fit of the suit, from the tapering to the length

post #12 of 19
there is a lot of work involved.

there is way too much padding
sleeves off
reduce padding
trim away additional fabric.
baste
fit
see if the fit is seriously improved
and finish

sleeve length might have to be adjusted as well.

so yes, alot of work
and not cheap

was this bought from a reputable store/tailor?
or ordered online/or from an inexpensive tailor.
and where are you located?
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

there is a lot of work involved.
there is way too much padding
sleeves off
reduce padding
trim away additional fabric.
baste
fit
see if the fit is seriously improved
and finish
sleeve length might have to be adjusted as well.
so yes, alot of work
and not cheap
was this bought from a reputable store/tailor?
or ordered online/or from an inexpensive tailor.
and where are you located?

reputable MTM business in Dallas, TX

 

I'm not covering any alterations. They've been really great about making sure this suit ends up perfect on me (after all, the better it looks on me, the better it looks for them when someone sees it on and asks "where'd you get that suit? it looks awesome!" haha

post #14 of 19
I recall your earlier thread, it does not look as if much has been done. is the tailor out of his depth? Try them on remaking it - that might galvanise them into trying harder.

As you have it back can you post the additional views so as to close off the earlier thread please?
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

I recall your earlier thread, it does not look as if much has been done. is the tailor out of his depth? Try them on remaking it - that might galvanise them into trying harder.
As you have it back can you post the additional views so as to close off the earlier thread please?
 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is the shoulder on this MTM suit worth reconstructing? Or better to just have the entire jacket re-made? (pics inside)