or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Paul Stuart Custom?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paul Stuart Custom?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have any experience with the newish "custom" operation at Paul Stuart (which supposedly is more "custom" than their existing MTM offerings)? Would appreciate hearing any impressions folks might have. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 21
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/09/the-custom-shop-at-paul-stuart.html
post #3 of 21




Found these images on maximinus blog.

I'll post my own soon enough.
post #4 of 21
Is this MTM with a basted fitting?
post #5 of 21
They do a basted, forward, and final fitting for first time customers. This is my first foray into custom/bespoke so I wouldn't be able to tell if its mtm with a bunch of fittings. They pretty much nailed the fit at the basted fitting which made the forward fitting seem almost redundant. Go to the store and check out the suits, and talk to Mark the product is pretty impressive.
post #6 of 21
Update: Suits are nice in terms of style and fit but a bit over priced for what you are really buying. If you are interested in drape style suits and a real bespoke suit go to Steed.
post #7 of 21
Any pics?
post #8 of 21
We're you happy with the result? Also, thought it was bespoke? I'm going for a 2nd fitting on a jacket there soon
post #9 of 21
I am very pleased with how the product turned out and will use them for certain commissions. The jacket that was made is as close as you can get to bespoke for a jacket made in a factory. The chest and lapels are padded by hand. The pants aren't necessarily bespoke and are pretty much done at the basted fitting. I was a bit disappointed when my first suit had really high wasted trouser that were already finished at the initial fitting. This was something I did not ask for in the initial consultation. Also, the buttonholes aren't as fine on the pants in comparison to the jacket. It's an impressive product but it doesn't fit my definition of bespoke. I'd rather be measured by the person cutting my coat and support the artisans of a "dying" trade. At the price PS charges I'd rather go with a real artisan.

However, I think they make some unique peak lapels and will use them for special garments. I hope this helps.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

I am very pleased with how the product turned out and will use them for certain commissions. The jacket that was made is as close as you can get to bespoke for a jacket made in a factory. The chest and lapels are padded by hand. The pants aren't necessarily bespoke and are pretty much done at the basted fitting. I was a bit disappointed when my first suit had really high wasted trouser that were already finished at the initial fitting. This was something I did not ask for in the initial consultation. Also, the buttonholes aren't as fine on the pants in comparison to the jacket. It's an impressive product but it doesn't fit my definition of bespoke. I'd rather be measured by the person cutting my coat and support the artisans of a "dying" trade. At the price PS charges I'd rather go with a real artisan.

However, I think they make some unique peak lapels and will use them for special garments. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. My main concern at the first fitting was that the shoulders were a little too extended and Mark agreed to take them in a hair. Everything else looked good. Mark has been very professional throughout the process and a pleasure to work with. He's clearly passionate about the product.

This is my first "drape" jacket, so I'm viewing it as an experiment. I wasn't informed that the jacket was made in a factory though. Greenfield?
post #11 of 21
He's a nice guy, and will make sure everything thing is right. He made the comment that his product is just as good as regular bespoke houses, and probably the reason why he uses the word custom. I never asked if it was made by Greenfield but one can assume. The jacket is union made, but the buttonholes for the jacket are made by someone else.

It's a beautiful product and will use them again. For now I would like to support the real artisans.
post #12 of 21
Greenfield is the factory.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Greenfield is the factory.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

He's a nice guy, and will make sure everything thing is right. He made the comment that his product is just as good as regular bespoke houses, and probably the reason why he uses the word custom. I never asked if it was made by Greenfield but one can assume. The jacket is union made, but the buttonholes for the jacket are made by someone else.

It's a beautiful product and will use them again. For now I would like to support the real artisans.

Yes, he did mention to me about his buttonhole person. The ones I saw looked quite nice. I thought the fit was mostly spot-on with the exception of the shoulders, but it was hard to see where the drape will be, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's shaping up.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tps16 View Post

Thanks!
I thought the fit was mostly spot-on with the exception of the shoulders, but it was hard to see where the drape will be, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's shaping up.

http://nomanwalksalone.tumblr.com/post/84939792421/a-brief-history-of-drape-part-1-by-william




That is drape, there will be some folds in the fabric around the chest.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Greenfield is the factory.

Is that true? He told me quite explictly that it was not Greenfield and everything was done in-house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Paul Stuart Custom?