or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SF Approved wardrobes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SF Approved wardrobes

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Anyone here actually have a full SF approved wardrobe?

How many of you guys still hold onto the Old Navy sweater you bought and Alfani dress shirt? Versus those of you who trash them even if they look good?
post #2 of 12
Is this a question about if people wear brands that are not seemingly embraced by the majority? Or is your question broader? For instance I do not cuff my trousers, can I ever be SF approved even if they were made by Ambrosi? Don't care.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
That's a great question! I'd say a little bit of both. Brands definitely being apart of the conversation, but also styles that might not be necessarily SF approved anymore.
post #4 of 12
What do you mean by SF approved though? Some brands that would be considered "SF approved" Such as Kiton, Brioni, Tom Ford, Attolini, etc are well liked on this forums but at the same time get a lot of flak for having terrible price/quality ratio. It seems they are only smiled upon if found on deep discount. Personally for myself i have a mix of both I.E finding a Brioni suit at century 21 for $800, as well as paying full retail for a TF suit. Then again this would not apply for the SFers that believe in bespoke only for that price range which i also have in my wardrobe (Steed, NSM). SO basically your question is pretty hard to answer because this forums is so split on certain issues. But in answer to your brand only question, i do have some stuff from Zara and old navy that i wear pretty often. They are a minority but if you look at the amount of time they spend in rotation as opposed to my "SF approved" items i would say i use them very often.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldtuff View Post

You can find good information here, but it doesn't sound rational for someone to throw away clothes they like because someone on the internet they never met do not approve of them.
6241.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

What do you mean by SF approved though? Some brands that would be considered "SF approved" Such as Kiton, Brioni, Tom Ford, Attolini, etc are well liked on this forums but at the same time get a lot of flak for having terrible price/quality ratio. It seems they are only smiled upon if found on deep discount. Personally for myself i have a mix of both I.E finding a Brioni suit at century 21 for $800, as well as paying full retail for a TF suit. Then again this would not apply for the SFers that believe in bespoke only for that price range which i also have in my wardrobe (Steed, NSM). SO basically your question is pretty hard to answer because this forums is so split on certain issues. But in answer to your brand only question, i do have some stuff from Zara and old navy that i wear pretty often. They are a minority but if you look at the amount of time they spend in rotation as opposed to my "SF approved" items i would say i use them very often.

Completely agree with both of you. I'm just wondering if people generally start tossing lower brands for the sake of keeping their wardrobes more high end, or their favorite sweater since it's a big baggy. Or maybe they keep most of those things.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post

I'm just wondering if people generally start tossing lower brands for the sake of keeping their wardrobes more high end, or their favorite sweater since it's a big baggy. Or maybe they keep most of those things.

There are way too many constituencies on this forum to generalize. And there seems to be much more of an obsession with getting "value" than owning "high end" brands, whatever the latter means.

I for one still shop at Old Navy plenty. Just because my shoes cost more than they used to doesn't mean my t-shirts should.
post #7 of 12
True one only consist of bespoke items, it is sad but true.
Hence not everyone could have it.
post #8 of 12

There's no such thing. People will knit-pick no matter what. I don't think in terms of "SF approved."...never have. I use this site for the same reason that I use those employee job review boards: for the lol's.


Edited by VinnyMac - 9/25/12 at 6:52pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

There's no such thing. People will knit-pick no matter what. I don't even think in terms of "SF approved."...never have.
This!
post #10 of 12
^ +1 Don't look at it as SF approved. Use what you learn to buy what you like without getting caught up on brand names. It is good to know what is considered a quality garment but the range is very wide here. It is better to dress well no matter what you can or choose to afford. There is enough information here for you to make informed choices when buying so that you do get the best at whatever your price threshold is. You shouldn't throw out something that you like wearing and that fits you just because it isn't brand approved. Conversely, Only a knob/noob buys an item solely because it is popular on SF and it was 80% off in the men's clothing classifieds. "I know it is bright orange but it is an Isaia and I got it for cheap!" said the tool in the pumpkin suit. Of course if you dig orange they you make out like a bandit.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post

Anyone here actually have a full SF approved wardrobe?
How many of you guys still hold onto the Old Navy sweater you bought and Alfani dress shirt? Versus those of you who trash them even if they look good?

I'm pretty sure Vox has a closet full of Hugo Boss Selection. Maybe one or two "SF approved" jackets

tumblr_macp2wAAAf1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg
post #12 of 12
I have several pairs of Cole Haan shoes (and like them)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › SF Approved wardrobes