Will surely put all the "advice" on this forum to shame.
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 9:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- San Francisco Bay Area, SF, Styleforum Meetup Hosted by Khaki's Of Carmel- Ring Jacket... Last post on Today at 1:29 am in Classic Menswear
- Three-piece suits: waistcoats & side-tabs Last post on 2/21/15 at 7:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Sicilian tailors Last post on 2/21/15 at 11:48pm in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE February 20, 2015 - "Dress down your suit" Last post on 2/26/15 at 5:37am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guidepost #1 of 1089/25/12 at 7:13amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1089/25/12 at 7:42ampost #3 of 1089/25/12 at 7:47ampost #4 of 1089/25/12 at 7:52ampost #5 of 1089/25/12 at 8:09amI appreciate what they are trying to do, but the jumps in pricepoints really don't match the salaries. $70K and $100K jobs are okay, but that type of salary doesn't actually go very far, especially not in places where there are jobs that require suits of any caliber. I think that the writers are forgetting that the basic costs of living are not that much different between someone making $100 and $150K, and so that that additional $50K makes a world of difference. Of course, anyone who has seen their income increase steadily can confirm that in general, you spend according to what you make.post #6 of 1089/25/12 at 8:10ampost #7 of 1089/25/12 at 8:22amAs much as I would love to subscribe to this list, it operates in a vacuum. If you have kids, a mortgage, and student loans, then a vast majority of Americans probably have different priorities. And the level of attire you need is different from LA to Louisville to Charlotte to Cincy to DC.
What would be an interesting follow-up would be to do a massive poll to ask people what they actually spend on a suit on average, presenting the answers both geographically and by loose industry (a businessman in NYC spends $ABC while a businessman in the southwest spends $XYX, or a doctor in the southeast spends $G and a doctor in the midwest spends $H). I don't think many would argue that the average price would be much much lower than what you see in the article.
However, I do commend Esquire for satisfying their advertisers by pointing people very quickly to the opening price point of most of their featured suits. Gotta keep those ad dollars rolling in.post #8 of 1089/25/12 at 8:28ampost #9 of 1089/25/12 at 8:30ampost #10 of 1089/25/12 at 9:01ampost #11 of 1089/25/12 at 10:46ampost #12 of 1089/25/12 at 10:50ampost #13 of 1089/25/12 at 10:52ampost #14 of 1089/25/12 at 11:24amQuote:
To be fair, it was an entertaining read, which was all that it was meant to be, and Esquire has been doing a much better job than GQ lately (which is not saying much).Quote:
After grad school, I needed them for interviews. Also, maybe, salesmen, door-to-door and otherwise?
- Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guide
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1184 Active Users (259 Members and 925 Guests)
- › Can I get some help deciding between these 3 pairs of shoes? 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran... 1 minute ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in... 4 minutes ago
- › gjnfvgjfgjnfgvj 4 minutes ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in... 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 7 minutes ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in... 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...