Will surely put all the "advice" on this forum to shame.
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:28 am in Classic Menswear
- NWOT Tom Ford Base B Black Suit EU48R US38R Last post on 7/20/14 at 5:54pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 45 R Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pinstripe Suit 45R Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:55am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 3/18/14 at 10:13am in Streetwear and Denim
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guidepost #1 of 1089/25/12 at 7:13amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1089/25/12 at 7:42ampost #3 of 1089/25/12 at 7:47ampost #4 of 1089/25/12 at 7:52ampost #5 of 1089/25/12 at 8:09amI appreciate what they are trying to do, but the jumps in pricepoints really don't match the salaries. $70K and $100K jobs are okay, but that type of salary doesn't actually go very far, especially not in places where there are jobs that require suits of any caliber. I think that the writers are forgetting that the basic costs of living are not that much different between someone making $100 and $150K, and so that that additional $50K makes a world of difference. Of course, anyone who has seen their income increase steadily can confirm that in general, you spend according to what you make.post #6 of 1089/25/12 at 8:10ampost #7 of 1089/25/12 at 8:22amAs much as I would love to subscribe to this list, it operates in a vacuum. If you have kids, a mortgage, and student loans, then a vast majority of Americans probably have different priorities. And the level of attire you need is different from LA to Louisville to Charlotte to Cincy to DC.
What would be an interesting follow-up would be to do a massive poll to ask people what they actually spend on a suit on average, presenting the answers both geographically and by loose industry (a businessman in NYC spends $ABC while a businessman in the southwest spends $XYX, or a doctor in the southeast spends $G and a doctor in the midwest spends $H). I don't think many would argue that the average price would be much much lower than what you see in the article.
However, I do commend Esquire for satisfying their advertisers by pointing people very quickly to the opening price point of most of their featured suits. Gotta keep those ad dollars rolling in.post #8 of 1089/25/12 at 8:28ampost #9 of 1089/25/12 at 8:30ampost #10 of 1089/25/12 at 9:01ampost #11 of 1089/25/12 at 10:46ampost #12 of 1089/25/12 at 10:50ampost #13 of 1089/25/12 at 10:52ampost #14 of 1089/25/12 at 11:24amQuote:
To be fair, it was an entertaining read, which was all that it was meant to be, and Esquire has been doing a much better job than GQ lately (which is not saying much).Quote:
After grad school, I needed them for interviews. Also, maybe, salesmen, door-to-door and otherwise?
- Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guide
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1625 Active Users (373 Members and 1252 Guests)
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › Styleforum Interviews Nick Wooster at Pitti Uomo 86 1 minute ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › 8.15 August Fifteenth Brown Corduroy Shirt - Small 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)