Will surely put all the "advice" on this forum to shame.
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 Last post on Today at 6:20 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. Last post on 5/12/15 at 6:23am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015 Last post on 3/31/15 at 11:00am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guidepost #1 of 1089/25/12 at 7:13amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1089/25/12 at 7:42ampost #3 of 1089/25/12 at 7:47ampost #4 of 1089/25/12 at 7:52ampost #5 of 1089/25/12 at 8:09amI appreciate what they are trying to do, but the jumps in pricepoints really don't match the salaries. $70K and $100K jobs are okay, but that type of salary doesn't actually go very far, especially not in places where there are jobs that require suits of any caliber. I think that the writers are forgetting that the basic costs of living are not that much different between someone making $100 and $150K, and so that that additional $50K makes a world of difference. Of course, anyone who has seen their income increase steadily can confirm that in general, you spend according to what you make.post #6 of 1089/25/12 at 8:10ampost #7 of 1089/25/12 at 8:22amAs much as I would love to subscribe to this list, it operates in a vacuum. If you have kids, a mortgage, and student loans, then a vast majority of Americans probably have different priorities. And the level of attire you need is different from LA to Louisville to Charlotte to Cincy to DC.
What would be an interesting follow-up would be to do a massive poll to ask people what they actually spend on a suit on average, presenting the answers both geographically and by loose industry (a businessman in NYC spends $ABC while a businessman in the southwest spends $XYX, or a doctor in the southeast spends $G and a doctor in the midwest spends $H). I don't think many would argue that the average price would be much much lower than what you see in the article.
However, I do commend Esquire for satisfying their advertisers by pointing people very quickly to the opening price point of most of their featured suits. Gotta keep those ad dollars rolling in.post #8 of 1089/25/12 at 8:28ampost #9 of 1089/25/12 at 8:30ampost #10 of 1089/25/12 at 9:01ampost #11 of 1089/25/12 at 10:46ampost #12 of 1089/25/12 at 10:50ampost #13 of 1089/25/12 at 10:52ampost #14 of 1089/25/12 at 11:24amQuote:
To be fair, it was an entertaining read, which was all that it was meant to be, and Esquire has been doing a much better job than GQ lately (which is not saying much).Quote:
After grad school, I needed them for interviews. Also, maybe, salesmen, door-to-door and otherwise?
- Esquire's Salary Based Suit Buying Guide
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Currently, there are 946 Active Users (156 Members and 790 Guests)
- › In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants 1 minute ago
- › Motorcycles 9 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 11 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 17 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 23 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 25 minutes ago
- › Why are people willing to pay more for mainstream high fashion... 30 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 31 minutes ago
- › LAB PAL ZILERI JACKET BLAZER 33 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 34 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...